Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY - LED Tails w/ Rear Foglight on a GE8 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
I've never heard of rear fog lights. Can anyone explain to me when you would use these?
It's usually a single red light, operating at 21/23W (brakelight equivalent brightness), without diffusers, located on the driver's side or center of the rear of the vehicle in a way that it won't be confused with brakelights. It should be turned on for your own safety in a white-out situations like torrential downpour, heavy fogs or blizzard like conditions especially on the freeways where you can't see past like 20 meters in front of you. This way vehicles behind can still see the location of a vehicle in front and keep a safe driving distance away.

Note that some manufacturers like Audi's, Porche and Merc have it in both taillights and wired up so that they come on with the front foglights.

Last edited by Zalthras; 03-16-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
I have this left indicator...
Originally Posted by Zalthras

(from a thread in UK jazz club)
... and now I'm getting OEM front foglamps but with new - USA version switch (not from my local Honda dealer because it costs over $800 there)

Anyone knows how much is Honda price for this 4 position dial switch and where to get it cheapest if this is even possible ?

(auto.msn.com.cn album)

Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
What was the cost of this swap?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
What was the cost of this swap?
My cost was roughly $200 not including research, flight, and manual labor

Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
My cost was roughly $200 not including research, flight, and manual labor
I'm betting your cost isn't extended to others.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
wow this write up is EPIC, great job to the OP
i have installed a led rear fog on my 2010 fit with the mugen rear bumper lip, as we all know the lip comes with dual exhaust tips but only one is used for exhaust since the fit only has a 1.5 and doesnt need two exhaust exits. so i have taken a slim round led light and mounted it into the left side fake exhaust tip and wired up an aftermarket switch next to my VSA switch, i like this threads "base" foglight switch but think i would leave the light (and switch) on when exiting the car as i usually dont walk behind the car when parking, so i opted for a bright red led switch that i won't miss as i exit
i will post pics if op doesnt mind

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Cool They came standard...

Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
I've never heard of rear fog lights. Can anyone explain to me when you would use these?
on my Jaguar XJ8's...

Besides putting them on in low visibility conditions, they were great for annoying tailgaters enough to make them pass you rather than keep drafting you like they were at the Daytona 500...

It was annoying to see other Jaguar owners that turned these rear lights on all the time though...it looks like you are riding the brake...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
i have installed a led rear fog on my 2010 fit with the mugen rear bumper lip, as we all know the lip comes with dual exhaust tips but only one is used for exhaust since the fit only has a 1.5 and doesnt need two exhaust exits. so i have taken a slim round led light and mounted it into the left side fake exhaust tip and wired up an aftermarket switch next to my VSA switch
I saw the pics in the other thread, looks pretty cool!
i like this threads "base" foglight switch but think i would leave the light (and switch) on when exiting the car as i usually dont walk behind the car when parking, so i opted for a bright red led switch that i won't miss as i exit
The way I wired it, it's sharing the power to the relay with the parking lights, so it turns off when you turn your parking lights off. Which means it's not possible to forget since your parking lights have an audible reminder .
i will post pics if op doesnt mind
I don't mind, post up some night time shots too. I'm curious to see how bright it the LEDs are.

Originally Posted by Blackbeard
on my Jaguar XJ8's...

Besides putting them on in low visibility conditions, they were great for annoying tailgaters enough to make them pass you rather than keep drafting you like they were at the Daytona 500...

It was annoying to see other Jaguar owners that turned these rear lights on all the time though...it looks like you are riding the brake...
haha, I'll have to try that on a tailgater next time .

Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM
retrofit front/rear fog column switch

hi! first post and so many questions below...
sorry to bring up a not-so-old thread.
would anyone have wiring diagrams to retrofit this kind of switch?
and by the way, pin 42 is supply to the park lights from the taillight or headlight relay?
also, the slot where the 7.5A fuse was installed is originally for what circuit?
thanks and pardon me for the many questions.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AllanL
hi! first post and so many questions below...
sorry to bring up a not-so-old thread.
would anyone have wiring diagrams to retrofit this kind of switch?
I don't, but you can either go to china and get an electrical wiring diagram, or just test it out with a multimeter. The switch itself can't be terribly complicated.

and by the way, pin 42 is supply to the park lights from the taillight or headlight relay?
parking lights from the parking light relay

also, the slot where the 7.5A fuse was installed is originally for what circuit?
It's an accessory power supply circuit, on the US Base model it is used for the front foglight accessory. For the US Sport model it's not used for anything.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Where did you get the Left LED taillight w/ LHD rear foglight

Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Zalthras + rep again, you need more rep, all your DIY's have been very useful.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rwaddraji39
Where did you get the Left LED taillight w/ LHD rear foglight
I listed my sources at the tail end of the DIY posts. I'll also update this DIY with new part#s and pictures of the updated 2012 Fit (non-RS or hybrid) taillights with rear fog once I get back Stateside.

example pic from honda.co.jp:

Originally Posted by FitStir
Zalthras + rep again, you need more rep, all your DIY's have been very useful.
Haha, thanks.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I envy your dedication and patience for making this DIY!!! Thanks for the detailed work!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
2012 non-RS or Hybrid Taillights

Here's a few pictures of the new LED taillight design.

The lens has a new curvature in it that flows with the styling on the new front and rear bumpers. However they should still be a direct swap in the 2009-2011 GEs.

Parking lights On

unrelated, but some other new bits I found interesting:

large new wing that actually looks pretty sporty. (although, mounting holes are drastically different than our NA Sport wings)

new body kit.

new upper console unit 83404-TF0-J01ZA. The bottom piece (83403-TF0-003ZA) is still the same.

Last edited by Zalthras; 10-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Nice update.

I thought the 2012 Hybrid tails looked like this though.

Still like the JDM LED's like you got on now, really want a pair, lemme know if you change yours out.

I'm liking those non-RS tails more and more, just wish both top & bottom sections lit up. I wonder if it's possible to mod. Vaguely remember something being able to be done by adding a regular bulb?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I thought the 2012 Hybrid tails looked like this though.
correct, for 2012:
RS - clear lensed LED tails with a slight smoke tinted lens and bezel
Hybrid - clear lensed LED tails with a bluish tinted internal lens (your posted photo)
1.3, 1.5 - Red lensed LED tails (what I have taken photos of)

Still like the JDM LED's like you got on now, really want a pair, lemme know if you change yours out.
PM me Dec/Jan, I'm picking up a set of 2012(s) to see which I like better on the wife's ORM.

I'm liking those non-RS tails more and more, just wish both top & bottom sections lit up. I wonder if it's possible to mod. Vaguely remember something being able to be done by adding a regular bulb?
Adding a bulb in the regular JDM housings won't work too well, because those assemblies don't have reflectors in the bottom halves, they're just painted plastics, and would also require a hole drilled.

The rear foglight equipped housings have an extra reflector bowl inside that's chromed. So you could get a left and right rear foglight housing as Warren561 suggested:
Originally Posted by warren561
Does anyone know the part number for a Right LED tail light assembly with a fog light?

Would be nice to install one of those with the Left LED w/ fog. I'd just wire them as an extra brake lights.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
PM me Dec/Jan, I'm picking up a set of 2012(s) to see which I like better on the wife's ORM.
Definetely will.
Adding a bulb in the regular JDM housings won't work too well, because those assemblies don't have reflectors in the bottom halves, they're just painted plastics, and would also require a hole drilled.

The rear foglight equipped housings have an extra reflector bowl inside that's chromed. So you could get a left and right rear foglight housing as Warren561 suggested:
I know I saw it somewhere on this forum and believe it was for the JDM LED's..... but it could've been diff. tails. When I find it I will post up.

was gonna do the Homelink this weekend but gotta work again. Hopefully next weekend I can finish it, and post up pics. Thanks you for your help.

It would be nice to have both top & bottom light up, but also want to stick with Honda parts.
Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Some quick snaps of old vs. new

I feel like the red one looks better on the orange

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Look great.

I have a couple questions.

1. Does the left/driver side taillight still have fog light?
2. Where did you order these taillights?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: DIY - LED Tails w/ Rear Foglight on a GE8 Sport