Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Headlight Adjustment (its a must!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Has anyone aimed the fog lamps a little higher? I think Im gonna run through the following steps for aiming the headlights and the fog lights. I find the fogs to be very very close for me to see anything.

Headlight: http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

Foglights: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...urrentpage=132

Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
mine are aimed up right under the beam of the headlight

i like to blind

Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Mine currently are too, but i have not readjusted them headlights themselves since i have had the car. That will be my project this weekend, along with the independant fog lights.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
every since i droped my car my headlights are way way way low im gonna have to ajust mineup alot

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, y'all ... been gone for a while, since I sold my Fit two years ago.

Someone had asked that I repost the pictures that went with my original headlight-aiming post, so I uploaded them to an album here on FitFreak.net

Passenger side:

Driver's side:

Driver's side (i.e., what's under that cover?):

Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 AM
HID Addict
i didnt kno you could DYI the headlights allignment. so i took the liberty in doin so =] took the car out onto the driveway about 30 feet and faced the garage, raised it up about 6 inches maybe? maybe more? the light went much farther and being that i have fog lights, i didnt lose any "near distance" light, the signs were WAYY brighter too ^.^ they driver in front of me and on the other side were very cooperative except for one guy, flashed his beams at me, but he can go **** himself lol

Old 10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
nice sounds great I need to do this later on

Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 PM
HID Addict
yea espcially if you have 6000k+ lights, brings out the color/brightness more

Old 10-24-2008, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by supergoose34
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the headlights up on my Black/ AT, Sport? Just got it on Sat. the 20th and love it!!! Tinting the windows next week.
how many percent are you doing?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
fit headlamp adj.

Thanks man, thats what I needed,an estimate of how many turns to get it right. Lots of info on here about how to adjust but not much about how much is enough. When I bought my Fit I was working at Shell research in Houston and commuted a half block each way. Now I am a production mgr. for a Bio Diesel co. and commute 37mi. each way through the country and on the edge of my seat all the way 'cause of the headlights. (60' just is not enough visibility at 75mph) Yesterday am I missed a deer by 6" only cause she turned at the last minute! I reaimed tonight and will see in the morning how it does.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I left the fogs at stock setting for a reason: rain.

The lowbeams aren't very bright immediately in front of the car so when the road is wet the lines can completely disappear in the light of oncoming traffic.

With fogs lighting up the first 30 feet it's safer.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I yet to adjust my headlights but I also noticed that there's a slight tilt to my lights.
Is there another screw that adjusts the tilt..?
In other words when I have my head lights on, for each one the right side of it is higher than the other side. Is that normal?
Thanks for any responses

Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
HID Addict
yea i noticed that too, anyone got the brains to tell where it is?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
From what I read in another post when trying to find out how (or where) to adjust mine the only adj. is up or down, no lateral adj. at all. the dealer should be able to confirm or deny that one. As far as the right headlamp being higher Here in the U.S. for years most vehicles had the right lights adj. slightly higher to give the driver a bit more range of illumination while not blinding oncoming traffic. For the same reason the left side was adj. lateraly inward(when vehicles all had lateral adjustments) so as to keep from blinding at close range. My '08 sport had the lights adj. evenly from the factory and I kept them even when I raised them a turn and a half which seems to work good for me without putting the high beams too high. I would really like to have a fog light replacement that really worked right. The problem with the Fits fogs is a bad reflector design combined with not enough light output. Good fogs should illuminate close tothe road almost as far or farther than the low beams. My '96 Dodge fwd had the best factory fogs I have ever seen on a U.S. vehicle... Too bad that was the only good thing about it!

Last edited by onwardthruthefog; 11-28-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:09 PM
By the way I read an article about rewiring the headlights on any car or truck with heavier (#10-12 awg) and dedicated grounds from the battery. What you do is wire a fusible link into the new pos. wire from the batt. and go throug a heavy duty relay such as was used on older vehicles for the starter. then you use the wire from the headlight switch to power the relay on and off. They claimed as much as 25% increase in brightness and it makes perfectly good sense as the factory wires are always just barely large enoug to get by and your ground is through the frame.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Adjusted the headlights 1.5 turns up, and what a difference! The low beams go so much further down the road, while the high beams aren't aimed entirely at sky.

Now to improve the quantity of light now the quality of illumination is there.

Also adjusted the fogs so they're not aimed 5 feet ahead of the car. I need to see 50 feet ahead in the fog, not 5.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jadr09fit
Also adjusted the fogs so they're not aimed 5 feet ahead of the car. I need to see 50 feet ahead in the fog, not 5.
I must have missed those instructions, got a pointer for the fog light adjustment?

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I take it back, I moved the fogs up. They were so bright up close that it blinded away any vision at a distance. We get more deer than fog.

The trick with headlight/foglight adjustment is that small changes at the light make big changes on the road. Don't change 6" at 30', that's a huge change. Just 2" at 30' added near 200' of vision on my car, and another turn higher the highbeams were actually less glaring to oncoming traffic than the lows. I had to revert to the stock level because just a single passenger in the back seat would push the cutoff too high and cause lots of glare.

The screw on the side removes the fog lamp assy, then loosen the one pivoting screw a touch, then adjust up/down with the spring loaded screw and tighten side screw back down. I marked the adjuster screw as to which side was forward with a marker much like I marked my vertical adjustment gear on the headlights; this way I can easily count and keep track for later how many turns it has been moved from the stock location.

Current config:
Headlamp, left: stock height.
Headlamp, right: half gear-turn down, cutoff line matches left light (it was glaring before).
Foglamp, left: 2 turns up, transition to glare matches lowbeams at a distance.
Foglamp, right: 1 turn up, level matches left light.

This way oncoming traffic isn't blinded, and the diffuse light from the fogs illuminate stuff above that nasty cutoff line where the world ended before.

May experiment with bringing the headlamps up an eighth turn or so. Need to see just a touch farther.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jadr09fit
Now to improve the quantity of light now the quality of illumination is there.
Please let me know if you have any luck. I'm happy with the low beams but the highs totally suck (GD3). I resorted to adding a pair of auxiliary high beams.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by polaski
I take it back, I moved the fogs up. They were so bright up close that it blinded away any vision at a distance. We get more deer than fog.

The trick with headlight/foglight adjustment is that small changes at the light make big changes on the road. Don't change 6" at 30', that's a huge change. Just 2" at 30' added near 200' of vision on my car, and another turn higher the highbeams were actually less glaring to oncoming traffic than the lows. I had to revert to the stock level because just a single passenger in the back seat would push the cutoff too high and cause lots of glare.

The screw on the side removes the fog lamp assy, then loosen the one pivoting screw a touch, then adjust up/down with the spring loaded screw and tighten side screw back down. I marked the adjuster screw as to which side was forward with a marker much like I marked my vertical adjustment gear on the headlights; this way I can easily count and keep track for later how many turns it has been moved from the stock location.

Current config:
Headlamp, left: stock height.
Headlamp, right: half gear-turn down, cutoff line matches left light (it was glaring before).
Foglamp, left: 2 turns up, transition to glare matches lowbeams at a distance.
Foglamp, right: 1 turn up, level matches left light.

This way oncoming traffic isn't blinded, and the diffuse light from the fogs illuminate stuff above that nasty cutoff line where the world ended before.

May experiment with bringing the headlamps up an eighth turn or so. Need to see just a touch farther.
pics pics pics!!! cuz i dont get this!!! i SOO need my fog lights angled.

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment (its a must!!!!)