Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Yellow fog light vinyl film Installation, questions, answers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yellow fog light vinyl film Installation, questions, answers

Exactly like the title says, this is a writeup on how to apply the yellow (or clear or smoked) foglight film over the foglights. These instructions are good either if u purchased the film from me or elsewhere. Lets begin!!

2007-08 foglight removal:

First, remove the foglights from the bumper. The bolt is visible on the sides of the center grill on. U need to remove it with a 10mm socket. After removing that bolt, pull the housing forward and reach in and remove the bulb from the glass by turning it OR removing the bulb from the wiring (this is friggin HARD so if u can't do it, u need 2 grow some muscles lol ).

2009+ foglight removal: Remove this philips screw and pull forward the foglight housing. Now reach in and remove the bulb from the glass by turning it OR removing the bulb from the wiring (this is friggin HARD so if u can't do it, u need 2 grow some muscles lol ).

(photo thanks to orangerevloution)

For 2009+ modelS: remove the 3 screws that holds the foglight housing from the black plastic. Here is the location of the 3 screws:

(photo thanks to cardinal)

Once u remove the three screws, continue with the instructions below to remove the foglight from the housing.

ALL HONDA FIT MODELS:

Remove the 2 bolts holding the foglight lens to the plastic. Make sure not to move that black spring loaded arm too much b/c that is what adjusts the beam. You can always adjust this later from under it.

Next, take the housings and CLEAN EM GOOD!! take em 2 ur kitchen n wash the lenses only w/ soap n water n dry em.

First off, review the pic below then continue to the description.

RED line = edge of glass
PURPLE line = edge of lamin-x.

If u bought the film from me, u should already have precut film. If not, follow the lines above to cut out a piece of film. Do NOT lay the film all the way to the edge of the glass, u will create a burn spot right in the center of ur film. U need to leave a 1cm gap all the way around.

Don't worry, that 1cm edge where there is clear glass does NOT show when u install the plastic housings.

Next step would be to take ur film and peal off the protective backing and stick it to the CENTER OF THE LENS FIRST!!

You don't need to use soap/water solution cuz its such a small area. While you are sticking the film, flatten it out from the center outwards with your fingers and make sure u don't get any huge bubbles. Don't worry about the small ones, they will go away after a couple days.

Install the lenses back onto the foglight housings via the 2 screws.

2009+ models, the install is the same as the removal.

WOW HOW SEXY IS THAT!!!

THIS NEXT STEP SHOULD NOT BE SKIPPED!!
Take some carnauba (or any of ur favorite waxes) and wax the film. This will keep the film from burning or changing colors. U only need to wax it 2-3 times a year (i do it every couple months, it doesn't take long).

Remember those small bubbles? well drive with the foglights on for a day or so and they will go away by themselves. If it fogs up a little, don't worry its normal. I hope this helps everybody!

PM me if u want a set!!

Kevin

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 08-15-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice write up!!

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Awesome instructions, thanks! This'll make it that much faster to install films once my car gets here. Woot!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Master FitFreaker
wow very nice write up man wat I did was just buy the precut and it only took me 5 minutes haha I know lazy me

Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
so can you give us some feedback on how the light output is affected, and if you notice better visibility with the yellow film as compared to clear lenses and halogen bulbs

Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good. I would do the same thing. I like yellow fogs, especially as a complement to HIDs headlights.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FikseRxSeven
so can you give us some feedback on how the light output is affected, and if you notice better visibility with the yellow film as compared to clear lenses and halogen bulbs
The light output is just a lil reduced but it's only meant for fog anyways and we don't get much fog here in so cal (smog doesn't count). Just use ur stock bulbs (the philips) and stay away from high output bulbs b/c you dont want nething cracking or melting. You do notice a nice yellow cutoff tho and it looks siiick. i'll get some night shots of it tonight. As for in junction with stock headlights, i don't knw due to the fact that i installed hid's (with a nice cutoff and no glare) the next day after gettin my fit.

Originally Posted by corey415
Looks good. I would do the same thing. I like yellow fogs, especially as a complement to HIDs headlights.
that is the EXACT reason why i did it, cuz it looked good w/ my 6000k HID's. Oh btw i sell hid's that don't blind ppl and have a nice direct focus like stock bulbs.

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 07-18-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Ive done it too. i wanted the yellow, but they sent me clear. put it on any way.
Thanx for the heads up on how fragile they are

Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
The light output is just a lil reduced but it's only meant for fog anyways and we don't get much fog here in so cal (smog doesn't count). Just use ur stock bulbs (the philips) and stay away from high output bulbs b/c you dont want nething cracking or melting. You do notice a nice yellow cutoff tho and it looks siiick. i'll get some night shots of it tonight. As for in junction with stock headlights, i don't knw due to the fact that i installed hid's (with a nice cutoff and no glare) the next day after gettin my fit.

that is the EXACT reason why i did it, cuz it looked good w/ my 6000k HID's. Oh btw i sell hid's that don't blind ppl and have a nice direct focus like stock bulbs.
what brand of hid kits do you sell... how much? and can you take pics of the cutoff.

can you take pictures of the hid bulbs? pm me please

Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
what do you think of the idea of replacing the bulbs with yellow one's?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
you got pm on the HID'S. =]

Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by free radical
what do you think of the idea of replacing the bulbs with yellow one's?
that is also an option b/c u could just spend $20 on a set of yellow bulbs, but what if one bulb burns out? it's hard 2 find ONE yellow bulb. Now what if the bulb burns out when u have a yellow film? you go and replace that one bulb w/ any brand bulb cuz it produces the same color. At the same time, you are protecting your foglights from rock chips. When i was cleanin my foglights, i saw very tiny chips in them. I was like crying but i knew it was gonna happen. Now i don't have to worry about it happening again b/c the lamin-x vinyl is very thick and is super strong.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
I can also supply the lamin-x film for you guys. I can do 2 sheets of 4 x 6 yellow vinyl for $20 shipped and that is PLENTY enough for 2 foglights. PM me for more details on this.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
I already purchased the yellow Lamin-x (thanks for the install instructions), but thought it might look even better to change the foglight bulb. Your thoughts?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
Well it won't give you that much of a difference because the lens and film are both the same shade of yellow so the light pattern will be the same. HOw do i know this? i installed a hyperwhite (tinted slight blue) into the yellow lenses and it looked neon green (real ugly). Also, you will get a lot less light output due to the fact that the energy source has to now travel through 2 shades of color rather then one..get what i'm sayin?

Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Well it won't give you that much of a difference because the lens and film are both the same shade of yellow so the light pattern will be the same. HOw do i know this? i installed a hyperwhite (tinted slight blue) into the yellow lenses and it looked neon green (real ugly). Also, you will get a lot less light output due to the fact that the energy source has to now travel through 2 shades of color rather then one..get what i'm sayin?
yes I do. thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 PM
on a side thought... have you ever noticed the headlights on the 24 hour lemans cars? they are either yellow or neon green...... maybe neon green is the way to go huh? hehe j/k

Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
hahaha naw foo yellow is JDM neon green is EDM...that's all i can think of lol.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:22 AM
looks great! is there a chance that the lamin-x film would melt under the heat of the light

Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 PM
lamin-x is highly recomended cuz as i was planning to get the lamin-x.... my driver fog lamp got hit by a rock.

lowest price i have found is 150 dollars for the whole assembly lights and painted housing.

Quick Reply: Yellow fog light vinyl film Installation, questions, answers