Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   Advice wanted from forums headlight experts (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/75045-advice-wanted-forums-headlight-experts.html)

Triskelion 10-31-2012 03:51 PM

Advice wanted from forums headlight experts

Hi experts,
I am considering buying headlights like these on eBay- either the black or chrome version (not sure yet on a BBP GE Fit). Is there anything in the ad claims that sounds like b.s. to you guys? I am looking for better, farther reaching light from the headlights, and these ads claim that this is the result from these lights. But with H1 and H3 bulbs, I am wondering if that can be true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-HONDA-...898a69&vxp=mtr

I do not want to pay the expense of modifying the stock Fit headlights to properly use HID bulbs. Would eBay headlights like these give me any better lighting than stock lights?

TIA for any facts. :confused:

Wafulz 10-31-2012 04:07 PM

YIkes no offense... but those r sum uhh no no lights better off just stay stock or buy those sliverstar lights : / that r pricey but they do make vision a little better

Goobers 10-31-2012 05:38 PM

Silverstars are brighter... but they tend to burn out quicker than stock (at least for me).

I have similar head lights to those ebay ones. the version I got, came out right before that. And uses H1+H1, instead of the H1+H3 combo. The nice thing about that is... if any one burns out and I need that light, I can just take the unused light for the time being. Unlike the morons that shove it on HIGH, blinding oncoming cars in traffic, because they're too f-ing lazy to replace the burnt out low beam bulb. I've since put HIDs for the low beam... but if one actually burns out, I still have the option of taking a high beam bulb and moving it there when needed.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ten-alive.html. If you read through the thread, you'll see I mention some issues with fitment. I don't know if those ebay ones will have any of the issues I had though. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post926217

One benefit of mine, over the ebay ones... based on the pictures, it looks like a nightmare to replace a burnt out bulb. I have direct (or as direct as one can get in an engine bay) access to the bulbs. Reach down, pull off rubber cap, unfasten the clip, pull old bulb, put new bulb, refasten clip, and shove on the rubber cap... which is just like how the stock headlights are. Those ebay ones make it look like you're gonna be better off taking the WHOLE headlight off the car so you can get to the screws to pull that cover off. Then I can only assume the clip mount is the same at that point.

I'm thinking about replacing them with Spec-D Tuning versions... if I can find a shop that actually sells them here (and not in Belgium). 09-UP HONDA FIT DUAL HALO LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS - BLACK or 09-UP HONDA FIT DUAL HALO LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS - CHROME. I don't like the black contrast with my SSM, but I'm tired of the chrome shining everywhere. I tried contacting Spec-D Tuning... but seems like they only want to talk to resellers.

Part of the issue with headlights is the actual aim. Have you tried adjusting the aim up slightly? Find a wall and a very straight section of road in front of it (35 ft or more). It doesn't have to be level, but does have to be straight (no up/down curves). Pull up to the wall and mark where the cutoff for the headlight is. Back straight away for about 25ft or so, then compare. You want the cutoff to be just under (about 1" or 2") the close up mark. You don't want it to go above.

Triskelion 10-31-2012 06:18 PM

I certainly know how to aim headlights. I am looking for more distance and better focus than stock lights. I don't really care how difficult it might be to change bulbs when necessary. If I have to remove a back cover to do that, no big deal. What I wanted to know is whether or not H1/H3 bulbs can perform better in a "projector" headlight than they do in stock lights. If no one here has that info., fine. I will call the eBay seller to get more specific info. If they are convincing, I will risk my money to find out with real hardware, not guesses.

TPColgett 10-31-2012 06:59 PM

the "expense" to modify stock Fit lights can be as low as around $800 through several reputable companies I know. For OEM quality fitment and a properly housed and focused bulb with a significant improvement in output I see the extra cash as a small price to pay over $3XX Ebay head lights...

Goobers 10-31-2012 08:09 PM

Wow, I need to remind myself never to bother with your posts in the future.

Triskelion 10-31-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 1143107)
Wow, I need to remind myself never to bother with your posts in the future.

I asked for advice from headlight experts. You are not one of them- just a dumb schmuck who bought trash from eBay and spent hours trying to make the trash work. You were not even smart enough to make a bean bag GPS mount stay in place on your dash. Please do not ever offer your advice on forums. Thank you.

krunk13 10-31-2012 09:58 PM

http://www.dreamconceptz.com/car2010...09-PBC-R-A.jpg
http://www.dreamconceptz.com/car2010...PCC-R-A-01.jpg

Just ask yourself. Do these look like quality headlights? HELL FUCKING NO. These are rice garbage.

Goobers 10-31-2012 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Triskelion (Post 1143126)
I asked for advice from headlight experts. You are not one of them- just a dumb schmuck who bought trash from eBay and spent hours trying to make the trash work. You were not even smart enough to make a bean bag GPS mount stay in place on your dash. Please do not ever offer your advice on forums. Thank you.

You choose to make too many assumptions. I didn't buy it off ebay (ironic that you are about to), nor did I take "hours" to make it work. It worked the moment I got it in. Was there a fitment issue? Yes, but it took me all of 5 minutes to deal with. The only thing that took time was the bumper removal and re-install, which you'll also have to do in any case. It was the first time I've ever taken a bumper off, so of course, I'm going to take my time.

As for the comment about the bean bag... again, you are making assumptions. It's an easy enough idea to make work (ooh, friction, whoopee doo). But it requires compromise, because that friction can be overcome. And I chose not to compromise. Not everyone drives the same, and clearly you don't drive the way I do. Do don't make assumptions that I couldn't make it work.

The only reason I added the part about aiming a headlight was because I couldn't assume you knew it. That's all.

And just FYI... the only reason I'm choosing not use insults or resorting to name calling is because I don't have to. It's plain to anyone that reads what kind of person you are. None of the expletives that I could throw at you would be as effective.

Go on... keep making your assumptions.

Triskelion 10-31-2012 11:19 PM

So far, no experts have answered the question or offered the requested advice....... Just show-offs. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't waste my time. Thank you.

mkane 11-01-2012 09:51 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Settle down. This is a Fit Forum and where here to learn.

TPColgett 11-01-2012 01:38 PM

Ok, the simple answer is that yes a projector housing will "better" focus the light.

As far as the bulbs, A standard H1 bulb (the new "high beam") puts out 1550 ±15% lumens at 13.2v. The H3 (the new "low beam") puts out 1450 lumens ±15% at 12.0v. Stock bulbs are HB2/9003 which is just a re badged H4. These bulbs are high/low combined as they are dual filament and can range from 1145-1890 lumens depending on brand.

So there are some facts and figures for you.

My .02 has already been shared above. My retrofit uses A standard HB3/9005 bulb and produces 1700 lumens of light through an OEM (Infinity) projector and ballast combo. Is it the brightest? No, but It greatly increased my night driving confidence.

TPColgett 11-01-2012 01:48 PM

Also, to research all the facts you want and see helpful advice check out this forum HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum

Triskelion 11-01-2012 07:17 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks very much for avoiding the usual made-up bullshit and for posting factual info. instead. In my OP, I posted a link to the cheapest and worst-appearing quality of aftermarket projector light I could find. If there was anything at all good to be said about that style of light, I intended to look into better quality ones (at higher price) that are advertised with HID bulbs.

It is nice to see that one person out of the herd actually knows what he is talking about. It obviously helps to have an auto shop in the family- thanks again!

TPColgett 11-01-2012 07:24 PM

I spent 5 minutes on Google and Wikipedia.... If you want it done right, get a retrofit through some one reputable. My friend had two sets of GE headlights done at $800 per. Also, poor housings really will make a mess of things regardless of the bulbs in them as if they ever let in moisture, you will have issues....

again its all my .02 :D