Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   Crazy Question. How to add lights? Where to wire it all in!?!? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/76602-crazy-question-how-add-lights-where-wire-all.html)

riff42 02-10-2013 11:54 AM

Crazy Question. How to add lights? Where to wire it all in!?!?

Ok, I want to add some LED DRL. I figure I can simple add it in to an ignition source to turn it on, or tap it into the DLR ambers in the headlight.
But....how in the world? To take the headlight out to GET to the ambers, I have to take off the entire bumper? I looked at the relay/fuse box under the hood and it seems that everything had power going to it, with the keys in my pocket. I'm confused here. I've never had this problem with a car before. Looks like all the wiring is running between the fender and the engine bay.

HOW in the world can I get 12v ignition switched power?! I don't feel like trying to run a switch into the car, since this would turn on when the lights turn on anyway.

DrewE 02-10-2013 01:21 PM

The separate amber lights are your parking lights, not the DRL. The DRL system (in the stock car) uses the high beam filament of the normal headlight bulb at a reduced brightness. There's an electronic dimmer of some sort built into the cars electronics—I assume it probably is a square wave output, rather than a resistive dimmer—and a relay that switches the headlight bulbs between this dimmed supply and the normal headlight switchgear as appropriate. (That is, it disconnects the DRL signal when the headlights are turned on.)

Connecting up a LED DRL will be rather more complex than merely tapping into a wire somewhere.

As far as getting at the headlight bulbs, the owner's manual should show the procedure and access points. IIRC it involves reaching in through the wheel well liner; I don't believe you have to disassemble the entire bumper, though that may prove easier for something more involved than just replacing the bulb. The bumper isn't too difficult to remove or reassemble.

riff42 02-10-2013 08:23 PM

Let me clarify something. I have a 2008. DRL to me, are the lights that come on before the headlights. My bad. I mean parking lamps. 2008 does not have actual DRLs.

DrewE 02-11-2013 01:21 PM

OK, you can ignore all my prattling on about the DRL system. :)

The owner's manual should still have information on how to change the parking light bulb, which would give you access to the wires there. If it's not convenient to tie into the wiring at that point, you might be able to trace the wires by color to some more accessible point. I'm afraid I don't know the exact routing of the wiring harness, and the exploded diagrams aren't always much help in that regard. I suspect there's a relay somewhere that controls the parking lights, which would presumably be the other end of (one of) the wires to the bulb, the other being either a ground or (less likely) a constant +12V supply.

As I mentioned before, taking off the bumper cover is pretty easy—it's just removing some bolts and a bunch of plastic rivet connectors, and pulling it off of some of those plastic clips. Nothing is particularly hidden, nor is the plastic piece heavy enough to be unmanageable. (At least that's the case on the GE8 model; I assume the older ones are similar.)

cgpEJ6 02-15-2013 05:20 PM

Most cars you have to take the bumper off to take the headlights out.

riff42 03-22-2013 10:11 AM

Bump for bumper. I ended up taking the bumper off. I took out more pop-rivets than needed, but it worked. Sliced the bugger out of my thumb, but it pulled off easily. Ended up taping into the parking lamps for the Running lights I added (see new thread), and tapped into the fog lamps for my deer-lamps (LED floods that will be aimed to the side to spot deer at night....wife ate one already last year :-/)
Wasn't hard, got it all done in a few hours. Very happy with the results, even if you have to take the whole damn thing off!!