Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID or LED Headlights

Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 AM
HID or LED Headlights

Has anyone looked into HID or LED lights for the 2015 Fit (EX-L Navi). After 15 years of HID or LED lights in every car I'm having a hard time going back to the standard old halogens. On my last vehicle I went with the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra, which helped a little bit. However, if I have to remove the wheels and wheel well covers to change this I might as well just upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with the JDM LED lights that are available on their higher-end models (including how one might purchase these in the US)? If not, how about after-market lights with a 4300K color temperature I'm looking for better visibility, not just to look cool.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Only proper way to get real HID is with a retrofit.
I’m going to be doing it on my ge8 soon.
I did it on my 00 Si and it was the best thing I ever did to that car. lol

Getting jdm headlights would also have RHD cutoff...

You can read up on info for a retrofit here.
The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Iradier310
Only proper way to get real HID is with a retrofit.
I’m going to be doing it on my ge8 soon.
I did it on my 00 Si and it was the best thing I ever did to that car. lol

Getting jdm headlights would also have RHD cutoff...

You can read up on info for a retrofit here.
The Retrofit Source Inc
Thanks for the input! So it sounds like you are suggesting that replacing the halogen bulbs with HID bulbs and a ballast won't provide the sufficient lighting to make it worth my while, and that I need to replace the standard reflector with a full projector beam light package? Or is just switching to HID bulbs be good enough? Goal is better lighting, not because it's cool.

Any experience in getting the JDM headlights? I'm not sure I understand the comment related to the RHD cutoff.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
ptt
5 Year Member
RHD = Right Hand Drive
Not polite to oncoming drivers. Example

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Wow those engineers think of everything. Never noticed brighter lights on the side away from the oncoming cars.

Thanks again for everyone's input. This is a great car but coming from larger, more expensive cars there are a few modifications that I need to address.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by VAnative
Thanks for the input! So it sounds like you are suggesting that replacing the halogen bulbs with HID bulbs and a ballast won't provide the sufficient lighting to make it worth my while
That is exactly right! There are no direct HID replacements for the stock bulbs. Some Chinese companies have produced HID elements that will fit into the space, but the light patterns are horrible and you will annoy every driver in front of you, including me!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VAnative
This is a great car but coming from larger, more expensive cars there are a few modifications that I need to address.
Or just learn to live with a simpler car. Don't forget that Honda hates mods when dealing with warranties.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
ive been searching as well, but it looks like the front ends between the USDM/JDM GK5 are different. I was unable to find part#s to verify the fenders and hood, but I know the bumpers are definitely different.

best option is going to be retrofit, it looks like. cheaper alternative is just a PNP HID kit for 50$

Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I haven't received my fit yet and forgot to look at the dealership with the test drive model. Does the car have running lights?

Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
BMO
Yes, DRLs are standard on all models.
You can see it in the specs under "active safety": 2015 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Site

Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
best option is going to be retrofit, it looks like. cheaper alternative is just a PNP HID kit for 50$
Only if you want to annoy everyone in front of you.

Those Chinese retrofit kits are not compatible with the stock reflectors. They produce hot spots in the pattern which makes people think that they are brighter but the reality is that you can see better with the stock setup.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Only if you want to annoy everyone in front of you.

Those Chinese retrofit kits are not compatible with the stock reflectors. They produce hot spots in the pattern which makes people think that they are brighter but the reality is that you can see better with the stock setup.
Please elaborate. When you retrofit in a projector, they come with cutoffs and the spread/beam pattern is far superior.

If you meant PNP HID kits flare and blind people, then yes, i agree.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Please elaborate. When you retrofit in a projector, they come with cutoffs and the spread/beam pattern is far superior.

If you meant PNP HID kits flare and blind people, then yes, i agree.
I was referring to the latter.

Still, most people who play with this stuff just want kewl bluish lights. The standard lights of most modern cars are remarkably good with an even pattern and a sharp cutoff. You have to spend a lot of money to get HIDs that work as well as stock.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Except the halogen headlights on my '15 fit are horrible...
It really doesn't light up anything near HIDs, or even my 09 VW Rabbit (also halogen reflectors).

I would look to retrofit but I bought this car for commute purposes only... don't really need to see at night I guess.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 AM
Are they really all that horrible, or do they just lack hot spots?

The best headlights aren't impressive at all, they just illuminate the scene in front of the car evenly. Hot spots make it harder to see everywhere else.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Until someone can confirm if the German or JDM projector headlamps will fit, i plan to try new CREE LED high lumen output LED bulbs. i stumbled upon this thread at ClubLexus and the appealing part of running an LED bulb vs a PNP HID bulb is that you retain the ability to use your high-beams:
Install $75 LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough - Club Lexus Forums

I'm all about the evolution of technology and trying new things, so i'll be picking up a set of white headlamp and yellow foglamps bulbs.

I did some searching and i believe the USDM GK5 Fit has H4 headlamps and H8 foglamps. Is that correct?

page 373:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...u/5A1515OM.pdf

*Note: i realize this will not be inside a projector so there will probably be flaring

Last edited by TofuShop; 08-11-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
.....plan to try new CREE LED high lumen output LED bulbs.....trying new things......
Once you get this planned project all done. Will be watching for your post. Just love NEW ideas and seeing them go into action. Its all about sharing.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Sorry have to comment on this again because I drove in to work this morning at 4:30AM and these headlights on this car SUCK.

Seriously the fog lights on my mercedes illuminate more than these things...
/rant

Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
Sorry have to comment on this again because I drove in to work this morning at 4:30AM and these headlights on this car SUCK.

Seriously the fog lights on my mercedes illuminate more than these things...
/rant
What do you mean by "better"? and can you in any way quantify what sucks about the Fit's lights? I don't have a Mercedes (with or without fog lights), but it sure seems to me like the Fit's headlights are just fine. They don't illuminate the road directly in front of the car all that brightly, but they do provide even illumination for a good distance in front of the car, and the low beams have a pretty well defined cutoff (which can be annoying until you get used to it, but is a good thing because it prevents dazzling other drivers).

I would guess that maybe you're used to a vehicle with what is actually less effective headlights that illuminate the road directly in front of the car too brightly and/or blind oncoming drivers. This would appear brighter, but would not help you or others better see what you really need to see. Over-illuminating the close up road tends to lead one to concentrate on that area, and not look far enough ahead while driving.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
no I meant they suck in that they dont illuminate anything in front of the vehicle. The spread is narrow (but even), but I cant see anything that is more than 50 feet in front of me. The street reflectors aren't even lit up. Neither are street signs, the back end of other cars, etc. I should be able to make out bushes (at least the bottom portion) on the other side of the street when I'm pointed at them, and I can't.

I am used to self-adjusting projector HID lighting with a sharp cutoff, so the cutoff isnt the issue. That being said I've had plenty of reflector based halogen light cars and they were fine. The MK5 VW Rabbit has very good halogen headlights. Maybe because the reflector surface is nearly 2x bigger.

I wish I could look farther ahead but its pretty impossible with these lights. I have already lined it up on a flat surface against a flat wall and it seems the lights are aimed correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID or LED Headlights