Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

GK: Baja Designs Squadrons in stock fog location

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
GK: Baja Designs Squadrons in stock fog location

Installed in my 2017 EX
Lamps: Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Wide Cornering
Also needed: Paranoid Fabrications brackets and pigtails
You can also purchase the lamps from Paranoid Fab. That's what I did.

Hello all. I installed a set of Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport in the stock fog location. See below link to imgur album for pics and notes on install.

Note, these are not to be used in any kind of traffic. You will blind the everloving crap out of people.

Link to gallery:
https://imgur.com/gallery/qNFHBZh

Imgur's embed link to the gallery didn't work. But I never use imgur, so if anybody can offer advice on that, I'm all ears.

Teaser:

Last edited by sneefy; 08-28-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
whoa, paranoid fabrications. shane is local here in san diego

Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. I've seen him around NASIOC for a looong time, starting with strut spacers and expanding his offerings from there.

He has been good to deal with. When I initially ordered, I ordered two complete sets, one for my Fit and one for my Forester. After placing the order, he emailed me to make sure that I actually wanted two sets in case I made a mistake. As noted in the imgur link, I had two brackets that were spaced incorrectly. He mailed a new set right away. Good service and I like supporting small biz.

Rally innovations also makes a fog pocket bracket, but it's much more expensive and made from powder coated steel, rather than stainless, so Shane's set was perhaps the obvious choice.

Yes, the brackets are made for Subarus. But, the spacing is identical. They probably source their fog lamps from the same place.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 PM
That’s dope! We run these lights on our bike when we race down in Mexico. They work amazing. I think I’ll have to do this install on my Fit now 😏

Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
They are very nice lights. Baja makes a 'pro' version of the squadrons as well if you really need a lot of light.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 PM
That's more like it

Originally Posted by sneefy
They are very nice lights. Baja makes a 'pro' version of the squadrons as well if you really need a lot of light.
Hello and Yes! That is what I had in mind. And for exactly the same purpose except the roads I drive on are mountainous. I looked at your imgur photos and what a difference. So are your headlights turned off when you switch to the fog lights (on the turn signal stem, I assume) ?

Also, have you had a chance to compare the Pro version to the ones you installed? I'm wondering if the "wide cornering" description means that you get more light closer to the front of the car so you can see that area better? I am literally driving on unlit hairpin turns up and down a mountain, takes 45 mins to get 20 miles. If I had been doing this drive before I bought the Fit, I would not have bought it, but that's another story, but I think the lighting (or lack of it), is my biggest safety issue. Thank You !!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Thrifty Lisa
So are your headlights turned off when you switch to the fog lights (on the turn signal stem, I assume) ?

Also, have you had a chance to compare the Pro version to the ones you installed? I'm wondering if the "wide cornering" description means that you get more light closer to the front of the car so you can see that area better?
Fogs are on the OEM harness, so yes, they are not independent. Low beams must be on as well. If you want them to be independent, you can wire them with a separate harness or possibly mod the OEM harness.

I have not tried the pro version. But, from what I've read, they throw a LOT of light. Don't be around the police with them on or shine them at other drivers.

Baja has three different lens patterns for the Squadrons. Spot, wide cornering, and combo. Have a look here: https://www.bajadesigns.com/Science-...g-Patterns.asp

I chose the wide cornering to throw light to the side, into the ditch to spot deer. It sounds like you need the same sort of throw for cornering?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM
That's more like it

Great, thx. I did talk to the folks at Baja yesterday and the guy I spoke with recommended the drive/combo light in amber. While yes, I do like the idea of the wide cornering, what I really need is to see quite a bit more up ahead. The road I travel has steep dropoffs with hairpin turns and I need to see clearly what's ahead of me. I don't seem to have the problem with deer that you do, so I guess the drive/combo takes priority over the wide cornering. Wish I could have both!! But he assurred me that I would be great with the drive/combo and the amber would be extra helpful with the fog that we deal with here on the CA coast. Thanks Sneefy! I'll get back to you when I am updated! Thrifty Lisa

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to help. The combo lens is basically two LEDs in spot pattern and two in cornering pattern, so you should get the best of both worlds. If you don't like it, you can change the lens!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
That's more like it

Thanks for the better explanation! I do remember the guy at Baja saying I could change the lens. I'll report back!!

Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 AM
I've been here lurking for a while, I wanted to say thank you to sneefy for the write up and especially the photo install guide! I installed a set of the combo lens lights and the install went very well thanks to the info.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to help. Please post pics of the beam pattern!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM
I'll try to do that next week. I've only been able to test them out a couple times on local roads, so far they seem very impressive at close and mid distance but the long distance "throw" of the lights is less than I had hoped for. Of course some of that effect is because of the low mounting position. More impressions after this weekend's commute.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Hey folks.. new Fit owner here (2020 EX).. I use the baja squadrons sport (square-ish) amber wide cornering on my jeep for actual fog lights. I love these things. So I reached out to Paranoid Fab and got a set of brackets and the pigtails in the original write up.. and my lights are in (squadron-r / round) and I'm ready to go.

However, I have tried every method people have talked about to get the fog light shroud off without pulling the whole bumper. tongue depressors, small screwdrivers, almost a hammer.. . I've ordered a set of trim tools that are supposed to arrive today, but not sure if I'll make it much further.

Does anyone know if 2015+ front bumpers are all the same, or is the 2020 bumper maybe different (I wouldn't think so).. but the most recent videos posts I can find about removing the bumper or the light shroud is from 2018... if anyone has, would like to provide, or can point me to a walkthrough on how to get these things off without pulling the whole bumper.. that would be awesome. Video would be even better!

Thanks in advance!