Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Ambient lighting, sound deadening, audio upgrade, the full treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 AM
Ambient lighting, sound deadening, audio upgrade, the full treatment

Hey all,
I like posting things Ive done, hopefully it lends to someone else in the future...My wife has an 09 Fit, base model. Our biggest complaints aside from the whiny underpowered motor was the road noise. so here is what we did and my reasoning behind it all.

Started with wanting to upgrade the stock headunit to something that had bluetooth. While I could have gone with a standard inexpensive double din that looked like a circus size single din i was having isue with that. If im gonna upgrade I wanna go double din, and if im going double din it should be touch screen. And if its touch screen it should have apple car play and android auto, wife has an Iphone I have an android. And if were doin that then its gotta have a backup cam. While im in there I figured Id do some sound deadening treatment. So I lurked the forums for a bit and found another member that did the full shabang, so i went down that route. And while ive got the interior apart I can do some sweet easy ambient lighting, cause the car is pretty dark inside. And while im doing lighting I hate that blank space where there should be a map light, so I did that too. So yeah, here is the break down.

Headunit is a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX. No DVD player, no GPS cause well whats a DVD? And your phone has GPS. Pioneer so far as im concerned makes the best headunits out there, so for me that was a no brainer. Pioneer backup cam to match from ebay. "Used" but I think it was a display model cause it was in perfect condition. Install was straight forward. Backup cam mounted in the tailgate, fished through the gate end through the rubber condiut with the other wiring. Tapped into the reverse wiring in the middle of the wiring run on the rocker. Ran one end to the headunit for the revere signal. I still need to get a parking brake bypass module so I can use all the radio functions all the time, like setting up bluetooth, but other than that the kit fits well, color of the silver is nice. Decent kit and the headunit kicks ass. I added a port to the dash next to the 12v socket that has the USB and 1/8 aux port in it, so the connection to the radio is super clean. No hanging cables!

Next was the sound treatment. 20 Minutes to gut the interior including door panels. I had a buddy come over to help me as I knew this would take a lot of time. Plan was rammat on the floor, 50-60% coverage. Same in the doors on the inside of the outer door skin. Ditched the plastic door water sheilds and made thin sheetmetal covers to replace the plastic. Covered the rest of the holes with rammat and covered it in ensolite. Same on the floor covered in ensolite as a decoupler to seperate the floor from the MLV or mass loaded vynal. Basically 1/8" vynal sheet. Heavy, doesnt conform well to complex shapes. Covered pretty much the entire footwell with it to just under the toe-board.

2 things I should mention here. The sheetmetal on the doors...its a tight fit. The plastic shield actually is concave to allow the door panel to sit in it a little. The door panel went back on, after removing a foam block on the panel, which pops right off, and after gently pushing the sheetmetal in a bit. The panel is tight, but it goes back on. No MLV in the doors, no way it would have fit back together. And on the floor, I need to back in and cut more around the seat mouting points because I cannot get all the plastic trim around the seat mount points back on. The MLV makes it too thick. ANd what the hell is the butal made out of? Thats that dum dum stuff that holds the plastic water shield on. Ive never seen one that so gummy as this one, it was like thick slime. So bad!

The map light has been covered here numerious times. Pretty straight forward, cut a slot and stuck my fingers in, you can feel the dotted line in the headliner whrere it would have been cut for the map light. I got a used one off ebay, less than half the price of a new one and in great shape. Warm white LED bulbs in the map light and dome lamp cause I hate the blue from cool white LEDs. I wired both the door and constant ciruit to the map lights tapped from the dome light directly. Getting the wires through was a bit of a struggle, had to use a coat hanger, and I took a bunch of fluff insulation with it, lol. But easy to hook up, tag the 2 wires at the dome lamp and connect to the map light assembly. Works with the doors and as a map light on its own. Very bright in the car now.

Ambient lights. I used 1 watt warm white bolt lights. They are LEDs that are in a threaded housing with a nut, like a bolt. used 2k resistors to dim them down, and put them into the arm rests pointing straight down. Wired to the 12v at each window switch, and grounded to the door. You cant use the window switch ground because the ground is supplied by the window lock button on the drivers door. Press that and ou loose the ground at the other 3 doors, but the 12v is ignition switched. They are always on with the ignition but it doesnt matter, you cant see them in the daytime. Also 2 lights over the console, same thing, 2k resistors each, these are tied to the radio lighting circuit, so they are only on with the lights. The brightness is perfect, hard to tell in the pics, but a dull light over the front of the console and in all 4 doors.

Did it in one day, 9 hours, with rain haha. With a friend. I dont recommend attempting this in one day, its a lots of work. Mostly the sound deadenign work, thats 2 days easily for one person. Ive been in the industry for 20 years and build custom vehicles for a living, so this was no issue for me, and my buddy has built a number of cars. So we tag teamed it and hit it hard, got it all done. I couldnt believe it. Kicked out asses though. The wife had no idea. I pick her up from work and we goto dinner, she had no idea she was getting all these goodies. I told her i was gonna 'sevice' the car. She gets in and was like wahhhhttt???? Headunit is awesome, back up cam is awesome, the lighting is frekin sweet...and the sound deadening, oh man. Road noise on normal roads is almost gone, cars going by are whisper quiet. The motor sounds louder cause there isnt other noise to drown it out, and its just much much more pleasant. Worth the work, no question! Ill get a better feel for it tomarrow as we are goin on a short road trip, (100 miles round trip) But every upgrade was absoutly worth it!

[[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4844/...b8007af4_b.jpg