Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   Need Brighter Headlights (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/99995-need-brighter-headlights.html)

Derk59RedFit 02-13-2019 09:36 AM

Need Brighter Headlights

I installed new interior bulbs in my 2015 Fit EXL and it made a world of difference. I went to a LED bulb. It was a bit expensive but worth it.

Now I want brighter head lights. Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock head light bulbs? Is it easy to replace? Can you recommend bulbs that are bright, plug and play, not overly expensive and legal?

wasserball 02-13-2019 10:18 AM

a year ago, I replaced the OEM with plug and play Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA 9003/H4 26.49 Pair eBay. I am very happy with the cost and result. Easy to replace? The wire spring clip that holds the head light housing in place is hard to reach and requires a blind mate.

fujisawa 02-13-2019 08:49 PM

I bought a Philips bulb. Super easy. You will pay more in replacements. But immediate noticeable difference. Well worth the 30$.

GolNat 02-13-2019 09:14 PM

I really liked my ultra stars I had. Nice improvement for not too much money.

evanphi 02-14-2019 11:46 AM

Another vote for the Silverstar ULTRAs. I run them in my Fit and our HRV.

I'm also adding aux foglights like a rally car to my fit... stay tuned for that one! :D

Goobers 02-14-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by evanphi (Post 1423477)
Another vote for the Silverstar ULTRAs. I run them in my Fit and our HRV.

I'm also adding aux foglights like a rally car to my fit... stay tuned for that one! :D

I've used a number of S-Ultras in the past. But the issue I've had is, because I drive in the evening a lot, they don't last very long.

OE bulbs last quite a long time (at least longer than anything else I've tried), but feels a little insufficient in the rural area I drive.

Still looking for something brighter than OE and still long lasting... *sigh*

GolNat 02-14-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 1423504)
I've used a number of S-Ultras in the past. But the issue I've had is, because I drive in the evening a lot, they don't last very long.

I have this same issue as I always drive home from work in the dark . I think I got maybe a 9 months to a year out of the Phillips I used. The Ultras I didn't have the car long enough to test but it was longer then the Phillips and they were cheaper. If you look at the back of the box it tells you life time expectancy and I got more then they claimed.

Without upgrading to LED and projectors or HID with projectors I guess that's how it will be.

I don't know if there is something like this for the Fit but there is a company that makes LED bulbs for my GTI that has a special cover on them so that they work with the stock housings. No need to retrofit and the beam pattern stays OE.

Check Post #30. Bassguitarist upgraded his to LED.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eadlights.html

julianachos 02-14-2019 09:08 PM

I've been using Osram Night Breaker bulbs in my Fit. Like the mentioned bulbs above, they do have a shorter life span compared to the other bulbs. Mine never last more than a year.

Every road trip I've done (especially with over 6+ hours of night driving) one would blow a week after I get home. Never fails haha.

If endurance is what you're looking for, LED may be your only option. I've personally never tested it so I'm just sticking to the regular bulbs for now.

Goobers 02-15-2019 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 1423507)
I have this same issue as I always drive home from work in the dark . I think I got maybe a 9 months to a year out of the Phillips I used. The Ultras I didn't have the car long enough to test but it was longer then the Phillips and they were cheaper. If you look at the back of the box it tells you life time expectancy and I got more then they claimed.

Without upgrading to LED and projectors or HID with projectors I guess that's how it will be.

I don't know if there is something like this for the Fit but there is a company that makes LED bulbs for my GTI that has a special cover on them so that they work with the stock housings. No need to retrofit and the beam pattern stays OE.

Check Post #30. Bassguitarist upgraded his to LED.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eadlights.html

The one he bought is no good. From his own pictures, you can see that the low beam isn't cut off low enough. This means one of two things, you're either blinding oncoming drivers or you lowered the aim and reduce your own ability to see further ahead. Unfortunately, instead of attempting a fix (a "shield" for low beam)... the brand simply decided to discontinue any bulbs for HB2/H4/9003. The specific situation with this bulb type is, the low beam filament requires a shield that prevents it from shining in one direction (won't shine down, when its installed), whether it's halogen, HID, LED or whatever future type comes out.

It looks something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZD9ZPX?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=HDNN2E5TFB0RV4AMJXRY
(edit: just FYI, this was mentioned by another forum member, I didn't buy these since I'm still waiting on the warranty for the recent failed bulb).

If you look at a stock halogen H4 bulb, you'll see a similar bowl inside around the low beam filament.

Originally Posted by julianachos (Post 1423515)
I've been using Osram Night Breaker bulbs in my Fit. Like the mentioned bulbs above, they do have a shorter life span compared to the other bulbs. Mine never last more than a year.

Every road trip I've done (especially with over 6+ hours of night driving) one would blow a week after I get home. Never fails haha.

If endurance is what you're looking for, LED may be your only option. I've personally never tested it so I'm just sticking to the regular bulbs for now.

I've used a few HID kits (H4 on Pathfinder before I got my Fit and H1 when I had the dual aftermarket headlights on the Fit) and recently a few H4 LED kits also. The HID kits suffered the same issue of having something fail. Of the 4 recent LED kits I've tried, two died. The two surviving kits don't feel as bright as they should be, along with an issue of triggering the DRL warning.

Of the two that died, one of the bulbs failed after only a week. Still waiting on the online shop I bought it from to finish the warranty process on it and send a replacement (almost two weeks since I started the warranty request).

So yeah, the search continues.

julianachos 02-15-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 1423525)
I've used a few HID kits (H4 on Pathfinder before I got my Fit and H1 when I had the dual aftermarket headlights on the Fit) and recently a few H4 LED kits also. The HID kits suffered the same issue of having something fail. Of the 4 recent LED kits I've tried, two died. The two surviving kits don't feel as bright as they should be, along with an issue of triggering the DRL warning.

Of the two that died, one of the bulbs failed after only a week. Still waiting on the online shop I bought it from to finish the warranty process on it and send a replacement (almost two weeks since I started the warranty request).

So yeah, the search continues.

That was my issue with some kits. First and only kit I've gotten, the diode illuminated in the wrong spot and then the fan fins broke after ten minutes which would obviously cause failure. After being sent another set and was disappointed, I just asked for a refund.

First thing I did upon ownership of my Fit was pull the DRL fuse out. I've always hated how it looked and i'm sure it was the cause of my old pair of headlights getting fogged up with oxidation from the inside.

Nothing out there was convincing enough for me to spend the coin on a pair that some were charging. I've gotten to a point where I always have an extra pair of bulbs in the car in case one goes out, so it buys me enough time until I get another pair. I don't mind having to switch it out on occasion considering it's the price I pay for using a car as much as I do.