Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Free 5 minute fix to seat comfort

Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Free 5 minute fix to seat comfort

1st post... I bought the car for my daughter to drive but that meant I would drive it for a couple years myself since she was only 14. My Fit is a 2016 EX and I found the seats unbearable. I'm average size 5'10" with 32 inch inseam and hate the seat as is.

What I need was more room and researched new seats, rails etc. Instead I looked on the back of the driver seat and on the bottom hidden away is a little zipper tucked in. Undo that and you have access to the seat springs. I just undid both of them (hand tension, nothing scary) and put it back together. I found this got rid of the giant lumbar bump from Honda and gave me a couple inches more of legroom by allowing me to sit further back in the same seat. I no longer feel the need to have to constantly adjust in my seat etc.

I hope this helps and for what it's worth, I've been driving with it this way for awhile now and nothing seems amiss. I was worried it might hurt the seat cushion but it's really tough material in there.
Your mileage may vary and what's comfortable to my back might not be to yours but it's worth a shot rather than modifying rails etc...

cheers

Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Hatched1
1st post... I bought the car for my daughter to drive but that meant I would drive it for a couple years myself since she was only 14. My Fit is a 2016 EX and I found the seats unbearable. I'm average size 5'10" with 32 inch inseam and hate the seat as is.

What I need was more room and researched new seats, rails etc. Instead I looked on the back of the driver seat and on the bottom hidden away is a little zipper tucked in. Undo that and you have access to the seat springs. I just undid both of them (hand tension, nothing scary) and put it back together. I found this got rid of the giant lumbar bump from Honda and gave me a couple inches more of legroom by allowing me to sit further back in the same seat. I no longer feel the need to have to constantly adjust in my seat etc.

I hope this helps and for what it's worth, I've been driving with it this way for awhile now and nothing seems amiss. I was worried it might hurt the seat cushion but it's really tough material in there.
Your mileage may vary and what's comfortable to my back might not be to yours but it's worth a shot rather than modifying rails etc...

cheers
Thank you for the insight into the seat modification. If you do not mind my asking, what do you weigh? I am "above-average" on the weight scale (those holidays pounds have overstayed their welcome!), so I wonder if there would be noticeable sagging in the area where the springs were removed.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:44 PM
I'm 180ish, forgot to mention. the seat rails still kind of catch the seat foam. If you unzip the back you'll see what I mean.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Hi - after you unzip the seat cover, how far can you take it off? All the way to the headrest?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2019, 01:36 AM
I think it goes pretty far up. I remember looking at the foam and frame but you shouldn't need to do anything that high up.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:54 PM
I would like to report that I just did this to my 2017 and, yes. Big difference after an initial test sit. The test will be tomorrow when I drive the car. Very simple to do. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Hatched1

cheers

Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks x💯

Dude. You have no idea ... My back has the opposite problem as most people. It has too much curve and feels better as I relax and flatten it.The stock seat had way too much lumbar support for me. It has hurt it since I bought it back in 2013. This mod made so much difference, that I immediately remove the springs on the passenger seat. Now it feels like I sit down in the seat instead of on top of it. I can even feel the side bolsters much better. Thank you so much.
Stats: 36yrs old, 5'9", 185

Photo for reference.

Last edited by newengland72; 12-17-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:06 PM
Holy shit! This worked for my 2010 Fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!

Old 11-28-2022, 06:40 PM
Thanks for this tip! Has anyone had any trouble getting the bottom spring out? I easily got the top spring out but the bottom one won't move at all. (I tried the passenger seat too, it was the same.) I have a 2016 if it matters.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Did you use a tool? I needed slip-joint pliers for leverage to remove the lower spring.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the pic, but what exactly do i detach?
Originally Posted by newengland72

Photo for reference.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
The 2 horizontal wires are springs that you’ll have to pull up and out from their attachment points. You could do it by hand, but it’s much easier if you use some pliers(needle nose or slip-joint).

Old 02-29-2024, 11:14 AM
Hello! I want to try this modification -- however, I'm worried that it will compromise the safety if in a crash. Has anyone else pondered this? Thoughts?

Old 02-29-2024, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
I arrived home the other day after seeing this thread and being a pretty big guy at 6'1" and 220lbs I wanted to try it....
To my surprise.... My seat doesn't have this plastic support.....🤷🏽‍♂️