Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/)
-   -   Recs on in-dash GPS double din HU (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/64348-recs-dash-gps-double-din-hu.html)

blazej 04-21-2011 09:52 AM

Recs on in-dash GPS double din HU

Hi.

I wanted to upgrade the stock HU to a GPS, bluetooth, iPod unit and came across this unit on Crutchfield.

JVC KW-NT3HDT Navigation receiver at Crutchfield Signature

For $800, it comes with the install kit & wiring harness.

Does anybody have experience with this unit? Any other suggestions for a HU with GPS, bluetooth, iPod connectivity?

Also, is the Crutchfield Honda Fit dash kit any good?

In terms of sound quality, I'm cool with keeping the stock speakers in for a while, but may eventually upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/ opinions.

lashlee 04-23-2011 11:25 PM

After working in a shop for about 7 years I would recommend finding one locally and giving it a try. The ease of use of one radio over another is going to be something that you need to know before buying, and unfortunately can't do over the internet. Many people will like a certain brand and get used to the architecture of how the manufacturer does things and that may make it easy to use for them and difficult for others. Something as simple as setting the clock can be buried in a menu, or only accessed during certain modes of operation.

That being said, generally JVC makes good units, and for that amount of money that isn't a bad deal. I would look into who makes the GPS portion (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc...) and see how often they are updated, and if there is a charge for updates. Using a GPS in a big city with established roads isn't where you need to have an up to date map! And if you tend to keep things for a few years you might need an update and it might not be available (like Alpine likes to do). The other side is firmware updates. The same holds true with any manufacturer, the iPod you have now may work but the one you get in the next two years may not be compatible and if they (JVC) doesn't offer an upgrade you may have to settle for your old iPod or look into getting another radio.

I have made it known in the past that I am not of a fan of Crutchfield, and prefer to support your local retailer (not only because I used to be one) but because they can offer you many more things than just a certain priced product. If you are loyal to a shop you will find in the long run that they can much cheaper than any place on the internet. Remember that if you don't support them, they won't be around to help you when the internet can't come out to diagnose a problem in your car.

neil patrick harris 04-27-2011 10:36 PM

i've only read/heard good things about that JVC deck. i definitely would have bought that if i didn't already have a great GPS app on my phone (navigon). the JVC uses garmin software so you know it's going to be good and it has free lifetime traffic. the only bad thing i heard about it was that the POI database was lacking...then again most of the reviewers are comparing that to always-connected smartphones.

blazej 05-02-2011 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info. Lashlee, I wasn't going to install myself or necessairly buy from Crutchfield. The guy who installed my window tint also did car stereos and suggested ordering online and he would do the actual install. I wasn't sure what unit to choose, but I wanted bluetooth, GPS, and iPod music and that JVC had great recs.

I may end up going to a car stereo shop and testing/ asking questions there. I'm sure they would match Crutchfield's price, which is usually fair.

neil patrick harris 05-02-2011 12:38 PM

crutchfield has decent prices but before you make a purchase, check out amazon and sonicelectronix. my pioneer 3200BT was almost $200 cheaper on amazon compared to crutchfield. even though CF gives you the mounting kit and instruction for free, that certainly does not add up to $200. i use CF mostly to see what i need for a complete install and for thorough reviews.