Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Caution: Intake warning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Caution: Intake warning! Solution on page 2

I don't know if this is a known issue or whatever.

Long story short, I took off my intake and put the factory air box back on to go to the dealership for my free first oil change.

When I got home again I pulled the stock air box back out and and noticed something strange.... the intake is trying to eat the upper radiator hose.

Its not a big deal, I caught it very early there is just barely a mark but I figured what the hell, I'm here I'll snap a few pics for people.

Intake taken off

You can see where its starting to wear through the hose

Just under the 7 on the bracket is where its rubbing

My fix.... take some wire loom on the edge

Then wrap it up in lots of electrical tape

You can see how it sits when the filter is off

obviously tape isn't gonna wear through the hose. I'll check it again in 500 miles or so.

Last edited by Darkstars; 06-21-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Electrical tape FTMFW

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I would be annoy if I have that intake.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fitting
I would be annoy if I have that intake.
I would be annoyed if I had any other intake...

The Mishomoto puts down 8whp for around $200.... Im ok with putting a little electrical tape on a bracket.

-P@

Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
ok little off topic but if i have my intake on and i put my stock air box on to go to the dealer ship can thay tell if you have had it removed by running some type tests on the computer, ..like a lil black box that tells them what type of air flow your car was getting like 2 months ago and then how much it was getting on the way there and stuff like that. for them to void your warrenty?.. iv never heard of anything like this but my dad said he has heard somthing like that. and its hard to tell what thay have on these new cars now days.. but i just thought id ask :/ sorry for the off topic question

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
No they can't... Too many variables (ie altitude and all that)

In fact I dont see why you are removing the airbox anyways. It will due no harm nor void any warranty. They will have to honor your warranty even with it on there. In order for them to not cover something under warranty the onus is on them to prove that your intake is responsible for whatever the problem is.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You should have just left the intake on. Normally all the workers are lube are younger kids. Warranty issues would be the least of my worries.

Nice fix. I should probably go check my radiator hose as I ziptied my Aspec intake to it yesterday.
Broke both brackets. :-/

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
Good catch 'n fix there DS. I just installed the Sid SR but am still really hooked on the mishimoto, any mileage increase from it?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
hey Darkstars, wasn't the directions confusing as sh!t on where the brackets go??

apprently this is how its supposed to look like but for some reason the brackets don't line up or something...i couldnt figure it out so i just taped the bracket too lol

Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Install is different for Manual and Auto

Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by SYMBIOTIX
No they can't... Too many variables (ie altitude and all that)

In fact I dont see why you are removing the airbox anyways. It will due no harm nor void any warranty. They will have to honor your warranty even with it on there. In order for them to not cover something under warranty the onus is on them to prove that your intake is responsible for whatever the problem is.
i have an after market intake im not running with nothing there but lol i think thay would try and say the car was getting to much air which made it blow up sorry warranty VOID lol trust me i think thay would try and find a resion ok sorry for driving you gusy off point again..

..i think i might get one of these intakes eBay FTW

Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Install is different for Manual and Auto
so thats why...

but i don't understand y it rubs on the radiator hose even for AT, oh well tape solves all problems in life lol

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Love the intake, but the directions were horrible. The second I went to mount that larger mount I new it would start to cut into the hose so I found an alternate mounting location. I have the AT, I am not sure if the MT has the same mounting spot. I have included two photos to show you. I have had no problems with any rubbing in this location I also removed the original black bracket to make it look cleaner.

Name:  DSC04169.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  85.4 KB

The brackets did not line up perfect, but they are very malleable. If you tighten down the bolts they will bend into shape. Also the strait bracket was a little to close to the Tranny so I bent it upwards. I just installed it a week ago. When I get some free time I will cut it and file it smooth.

Name:  DSC04170mod.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  56.1 KB

Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM
The mounting is different for Auto and Manual... I'm not sure how it is supposed to look on an auto, because mine is MT

You shouldn't have needed to bend anything...

But if it works, it works!!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
I would be annoyed if I had any other intake...

The Mishomoto puts down 8whp for around $200.... Im ok with putting a little electrical tape on a bracket.

-P@
show me your before and after dnyo charts. Only a noob would believe this.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Just a word of advice warping electrical tape around the mount will not keep it form rubbing though your radiator hose. constant vibration of any material will lead to erosion of the combined materials. You'd be surprised how faster plasic can eat through metal if its rubbing.

You need to properly space the intake away form the upper radiator hose.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
There is a federal law that prohibits the factory from voiding your warranty just because you put an aftermarket item on it. Unless they can prove that exact item specifically caused a major failure to the car.

In the case of an air intake, it's highly unlikely that would cause a major failure, unless it was one of those old AEM CAI before the vavle, and you drove it through deep water and it hydrolocked.

Actually saw an RSX that did that with my own eyes a few years ago. Idiot left the intake on when it got towed to the Acura dealership. They pulled the motor and poured water from the crankcase. The con-rods were bent in half and the pistons made nice little windows in the block. Had to get a $12,000 loan to fix the car because they voided his warranty. Only guy I knew driving a bone stock, low mileage $40,000 RSX, that he was still making payments on.

It's called the Magnussen Moss Act.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by dank24
show me your before and after dnyo charts. Only a noob would believe this.
Don't be a child....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-install.html

Last edited by SYMBIOTIX; 06-12-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
BAM!!!!! Nice dyno.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
So your stock honda fit put down 8whp from a intake? I still say BS because my a2 swapped ep3 could not even do that with a more aggressive map. From just a intake..

Maybe when you have a header, cat-delete, and full cat-back you can get 8whp total.

Last edited by dank24; 06-12-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Caution: Intake warning!