Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Any East Central FL Fit owners/DIYers to help a newbie with installing springs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Any East Central FL Fit owners/DIYers to help a newbie with installing springs???

Hey everyone. I see plenty of fits and have met a number of fit owners during my short time living near Daytona. Most seem live south or west of met- the import scene in Daytona is lacking in comparison to other cities (i.e. orlando, miami)
Since moving here for school I left alot of access to tools and garages behind and I don't have the confidence/knowledge to do a lowering spring install myself. I want the aggressive stance but I'm still considering the tradeoffs - better handling, stiffer ride, potential for premature wear on OEM suspension, etc. so I'm not sure if I'll go through with it - if I do, anyone nearby out there might be willing to help? I know I can go to a shop, wait an hour or two and a hundred bucks later get what I'm looking for, but I'd like to learn.
I have a pretty decent selection of wrenches, jack stands, a hydraulic lift. I know I would need to loan out a spring compressor from an autoshop, other then that, what else? As you can see when it comes in suspension work I'm a complete novice. Electrical and some basic engine work is my extent.
Any help, advice, anything would be appreciate. I figure this is the best spot of any to learn.

Anyone out there that could recommend a spring kit that has a mild drop and reasonable close to OEM spring rates - that'd make all the difference in the world. I can trade some stiffness for better handling, but I don't want to feel every single bump/dip.
I've done some research and it seems like I might be asking for too much - close to OEM ride with a small drop, without having to invest in coilovers (I can't justify it if I don't plan on tracking this, I just want the aggressive stance)

Alright, so that's my lengthy rant and where I'm at.

Thanks for reading

Old 07-25-2018, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have owned cars from exotic like Lotus and Porsche to BMW, Audi, Opel, and other Honda, but the Honda Fit that I got for my daughter has to be the worst riding car that I ever sat in. It's a sport model Fit, but you can feel every dip and potholes and bumps on the road. As far as I know, the suspension is completely stock. Can't believe that people would make the car ride worst by lowering it.

There's a DIY garage where I sometimes bring my cars to work on. They have a professional spring compressor for replacing worn struts with the new one. In the past, I have used the widow maker, lose a limb spring compressor, but after using a professional piece of equipment I will never go back.

Last edited by upallnight; 07-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.