Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   creaking noise (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/21883-creaking-noise.html)

Batman 02-28-2008 02:13 PM

creaking noise

i recently installed the usdm tein basic on my car, now it creaks in the rear. i am pretty certain it is the rubber parts causing the noise.

but i am not sure what the REASON behind it is - if i was to get some new ones (the plastic on top/bottom of spring), what's to stop it from making the same noise again?

any ideas? suggestions?

BlueCell 02-28-2008 03:06 PM

Are you sure its the rubber or the springs themselves? My tanabe's came with some plastic padding to put in between the springs so theres no noise(although I didn't use it) You can also check to make sure the springs are installed correctly. Like the end of the spring is all the way at the rubber stop. Otherwise, you just gotta break em in :)

Batman 02-28-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueCell (Post 248261)
Are you sure its the rubber or the springs themselves? My tanabe's came with some plastic padding to put in between the springs so theres no noise(although I didn't use it) You can also check to make sure the springs are installed correctly. Like the end of the spring is all the way at the rubber stop. Otherwise, you just gotta break em in :)

ya the rear springs have the rubber to wrap around a few coils too, but it sill makes noise

how long to break it in? its already been like 2000km...

and strangely it doesn't creak when i corner hard, or drive on the highway - its only around town it does it everywhere then

LowTekk 03-01-2008 01:01 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to my car with some Tanabe springs. The rear end would clunk and pop under any load or cornering.

Tighten the two rear lower shock bolts like they owe you money. I had to get my big friend to help me out. I didn't use any spring sleeves or extra rubber seats or anything.

That fixed it for me.

kenchan 03-01-2008 01:10 PM

first the coil winds are there to prevent spring chatter which is caused
by the coils banging into each other making the higher pitched metal to
metal noise.

when you bolt back your suspension, you need to load the suspension
with vehicle weight and then tighten the bolt(s).

the creaking could be from the rubber seats not sitting correctly though.
do you re-use the rubber mounts on the TEIN's when the spring is put
back together? (too lazy to go to their japan site to look at their
instructions).

if so, did you orient the mounts correctly?

Batman 03-03-2008 01:41 PM

i have used back the oem rubber mounts - i gotta check if they are orientated correctly. how can i tell? thanks

binaryh4x 03-03-2008 03:36 PM

The bottom one has a plug that fits into a hole on the bottom perch.