Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   Drop Shocks (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/64732-drop-shocks.html)

ChristineK 05-06-2011 11:51 AM

Drop Shocks

I am looking for drop shocks for an 08 Fit. I want 2 inch drop shocks and Google only lists lowering springs or coil overs.

I have 3inch Toxic Drop Shocks on my S-10 and they are awesome.

I want them for the back not the front, the front is totally OK.

Any help you can provide would be great. I did do a search (of this forum) before posting this and found nothing but air bags.

thaduke2003 05-06-2011 12:05 PM

Umm. Ok. Car modding 101 time. Shocks do not, can not, and never will, lower a vehicle. Unless you're talking about coilovers, which, as you mentioned, you're not. Just wanted to clarify this all, in case you're a bit confuzzled. :)

A vehicle's height can be dropped in several ways- the most common is via lowering springs or coilovers, as you found on eBay. Another is via lowering spindles, which you generally only see in domestic applications, like trucks and muscle cars.

I ran a search for the Toxic Drop shocks you were talking about- they're just a shorter-body shock for lowered vehicles. They don't provide any lowering at all. They just are shorter shocks, designed for the specific vehicle at a certain lowered height.

As for shocks for the GD, Tokico makes a set that will work for a lowered or stock Fit. There may be others, but, sadly, the aftermarket hasn't embraced the Fits as much as they tend to with popular American makes and models.

Hope this helps- Mark W.

ChristineK 05-06-2011 05:05 PM

Um OK. Nope not confused at all. :p Who said anything about lowering the car. It must be that I am a girl or something.

A drop shock is much firmer than a standard shock and helps limit bottoming out due to the shorter wheel travel distance. These make up for ride quality lost with the geometry changes as well. They are designed for a lowered car.

Now if you like riding around in an empty hey wagon thats your prerogative but if you like a nice performace tuned suspension then drop shocks are for you.

Thanks
Christine

thaduke2003 05-06-2011 07:50 PM

Gotcha. Sorry- too many years on forums, so I automatically revert to idiot mode :) Didn't know that you were a girl, even- never intend any disrespect, and certainly no sexism- if I did that, my wife would punch her purse (where my man bits are often stored :))!

As a Jeep guy, where it seems like there's a different shock length available for every .5" of lift, I've always been disappointed that for a Honda (most commonly modded brand), nobody really makes specific lowered-length shocks/struts.

Again, this still leaves coilovers as an option. However, they tend not to ride much better than most lowering springs. The other option is to find a set of lowering springs with a better-matched spring rate to height-reduction ratio. Softer springs that are still quite short don't always help, but getting a good set of springs will help.

What springs are you running now? Mark W.

grtpumpkin 05-06-2011 08:16 PM

Just got done looking at your pics in the suspension thread and I'm not sure your are bottoming out. I think you are rubbing like hell. What offset are those 18s? And if it is rubbing no drop shock in the world is gonna help, you are going to have to perform the bumper tab-ectomy to keep the rubber from meeting the bodywork.

ChristineK 05-06-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by grtpumpkin (Post 990622)
Just got done looking at your pics in the suspension thread and I'm not sure your are bottoming out. I think you are rubbing like hell. What offset are those 18s? And if it is rubbing no drop shock in the world is gonna help, you are going to have to perform the bumper tab-ectomy to keep the rubber from meeting the bodywork.

Wow again it must be a dumb blond girl thing!

I am not rubbing even one bit! As I said in the other thread these wheels are totally OEM fitments! I am running stock tire and rim size just lowered 2 inches. I am running an 18inch rim but its stock rollout.

I want drop shocks to fix ride quality not a rub or other issue. Stock shocks are not meant to perform well at half compression, if you drop your ride on stock shocks you kinda get a floaty ride. You need shocks meant for the drop to get a proper ride quality.

Is this site so male laden or what? Am I the idiot! :rolleyes:

Jaivee 05-07-2011 12:22 AM

is this what you mean? 07-up Honda Fit Struts and Shocks from Tokico at Andy's Auto Sport

ChristineK 05-07-2011 08:00 AM

Actually it helped some, some googlling might help. The product description was more of a bio, it talked about 5 adjustment levels and the title says non adjustable.

But yes thanks.

I need to verify this is for a 2 inch drop too, if you get a 1 or 1.5 or 3 inch drop shock and only need a 2 (like me) it makes a huge difference.

Thanks Jaivee!

apexanimal 05-07-2011 10:51 AM

aftermarket shocks/struts are fairly limited for our cars... aj had a set (i think they're done and gone) and i think dspec is made for our cars as well...

you can have the same diameter as stock, but you never answered my question in the other thread about your offset...

in short: there are shocks out there that will pair well with lowering springs, but they are few and fairly expensive for what they are...

ChristineK 05-09-2011 09:25 PM

Offset is +45
backspace is 6.02

Here is a link to Tire Racks page listing where I bought them

Wheels for 2008 Honda Fit Sport

grtpumpkin 05-12-2011 08:06 PM

OE offset is 55 I'm dropped on stock shocks and don't float one bit. Not trying to insult you, or get into a pissing match w/ you just trying to clarify the issue so I can be of some help. You haven't stated in this thread what ride quality issue you have, only that you are looking for drop shocks. I wasn't aware that such things existed for the Fit, so i have already learned something. A two inch or greater drop on the Fit is lower than most will go for a DD, so you may be blazing new trail here, which could explain why you feel like you are butting your head against a wall LOL

SD_MR_FIT 05-12-2011 09:01 PM

basically you need something that is not OEM spec. the t1r shocks that i ran held well with the tein s.tech coils. they were adjustables(only stiffening adjustments) .

it was shorter by like an inch or so.....but it helped out.

bilstein said there wasnt enough market here in the us( i tried to get them to build it)

and there are maybe a couple of otheres. i remembering reading someone putting the monroe air shocks.( this could help with the REAR load you are talking about. )

SD_MR_FIT 05-12-2011 09:05 PM

and there is no way your not rubbing. i had a 17x7.5 rim 45 offset 2 inch drop and i had roll the rears out so i didnt have the "bottoming out " feel. i had 3 people in the backseat and once i rolled those lips i didn't have an issue.

See trucks and cars are totally different. yall need Shocks that are shortend because of the REar leaf springs and stuff.

were as most of these cars they run coilovers where the shock is already as short as possible and we can change the height. if your okay with the front , you can contact any company just to the the REARS. im sure they would sell them to you.

ChristineK 05-13-2011 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by grtpumpkin (Post 992742)
OE offset is 55 I'm dropped on stock shocks and don't float one bit. Not trying to insult you, or get into a pissing match w/ you just trying to clarify the issue so I can be of some help. You haven't stated in this thread what ride quality issue you have, only that you are looking for drop shocks. I wasn't aware that such things existed for the Fit, so i have already learned something. A two inch or greater drop on the Fit is lower than most will go for a DD, so you may be blazing new trail here, which could explain why you feel like you are butting your head against a wall LOL

The shocks are to bouncy thus the float feeling. You hit a bump and the rear kind of drops and is slow to recover. I want a stiffer rear end! Drop shocks fix this effect in a truck. I found the Monroe Air Shocks then found a thread here on it.

I have already bought a set and cant wait to try it.
I want to add an air control module so I can run them like airbags and have the ability to adjust by load and road conditions. I also want to separate the shocks so each in aired independently.

ChristineK 05-13-2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT (Post 992769)
and there is no way your not rubbing. i had a 17x7.5 rim 45 offset 2 inch drop and i had roll the rears out so i didnt have the "bottoming out " feel. i had 3 people in the backseat and once i rolled those lips i didn't have an issue.

I don't know what rolled lips means but you are missing a part of the puzzle. You were running a 17X7.5 wheel with 45 offset and drop but you don't ride on the aluminium you ride on the rubber. Tire size is key here! I am on factory fitments with my tires and I do not rub unless I hit a killer hole, but any car would! You could have been running balloon tires as you did not state size. I am running 215,35,18.

I am not trying to correct a rub nor do I have an issue with this. As said above I want to correct a bouncy floaty rear end. I hope the Monroe air max will fix it.

I have been running these wheels and tires with this drop for some time, I just want to improve ride quality is all.

You all are crazy with your knowledge. It seems every response is only half the needed information or it is to be understood, and I dont understand.

Cheers All
Christine

grtpumpkin 05-14-2011 03:44 PM

Big Mike, AKA Perrenoud Fit is running air shocks on the rear of his Fit and he seemed very happy with them. They can be adjusted for stiffness by increasing or decreasing air pressure. This may be just what you are after. Rolling the lips is a reference to pinching the inside surface of the wheel well to increase the amount of tire clearance on lowered cars that are running an aggressive offset and/or very low suspension. How wide are your 18 inch wheels? Part of your trouble may also be the very low aspect ratio you are having to run to keep your rolling diameter acceptable. I noticed a big difference in ride quality just from a 50 to a 55 aspect ratio change, I can't imagine what a 35 must be like.