Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   Wobble sound from front. Help! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/74377-wobble-sound-front-help.html)

pearl 09-25-2012 09:08 AM

Wobble sound from front. Help!

2008 Fit, 52k miles. I put springs on almost a year ago or so. I can't remember when this noise started, but between 20-40mph, I have a wobble sound (not vibration) coming from the passenger side wheel area. I'm sure it happens over 40 as well, but its so fast it doesn't make an obvious sound.

I always thought it was the rim that was bent or the tire was wearing weird, so I swapped them 2 days ago (front and back) and it is still making the sound. Lug nuts are all tight.

I don't have any feedback from the wobble, the steering wheel stays straight and doesn't vibrate. The noise happens whether I am braking, turning, accelerate/de-accelerate, coasting in or out of gear.

The tires have a slight camber/toe wear over 25k miles, but nothing leads me to believe it is an alignment issue.

Recently had a wheel stud replaced by Honda and nothing seemed out of the ordinary when they split the bearing to replace the stud. The sound was the same before and after this.

Besides taking the whole front strut/spring assembly apart, does anyone know what this noise could be?

krunk13 09-25-2012 09:11 AM

Are the trans axles good?

NIGHTHAWKSI 09-25-2012 09:52 AM

if oyu have camber/toe wer, it coudl very well be alignment issue.

could be somthign as simple as a pice of loose trim that is moving.

maybe bad wheel bearing

pearl 09-25-2012 09:56 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

How can I check the trans axles?

I'm holding off on an alignment for now, as I may be going with a different suspension setup. I have another set of springs laying around and could swap them, but just don't feel like disassembling them :(

Wafulz 09-25-2012 11:54 AM

turn ur wheel all the way left lol or all the way right full lock while doing dounuts / circles lol with a lil bit oh gas ur start hearing it click if it baddd lol

pearl 09-25-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks, that produces no noises.

Santiad 09-25-2012 01:57 PM

hmmm

Are you lowered?

you are saying a wobble sound, no clunks or clanks so I'm thinking tire tread or some rubbing

Are you running all 4 of the same tire? are they all wearing evenly? check the wheel weels and fender liners for any scuffed plastic

I had a weird sound going for a bit but ignored it as I was used to my falkens being loud....then I noticed I was chewing up the tread on my front wheels, especially on the drivers side. Since I am on Swifts I checked the fenders and remembered I left the Nose mask clips installed in the wheel wells.

Those little buttons extend far enough to rub the tires and dig in when turning or hitting bumps.

$3 bucks for OEM clips, free driveway tire rotation and $72 for an alignment and its alll good....

LAST BIT OF ADVICE:

if the car is driving well and all you hear is a sound, ignore its significance while keeping an ear out for developments.

Learn from my example:

hearing sounds from my wheels (which was probably the tread wear indicators) so I went to RS Strauss for a quick rotation (this was before I bought the electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight).

result: 2 broken wheel studs.....no press in the shop so they hammered two in!

next result: wheel bearings started to go in the passenger side....had both front wheel bearing replaced at an independant shop with a press. to save $$$

next result: abs sensor was cracked prior to removal. bearings replaced no problem but sensor wouldnt go back in properly. ABS light on ever since even after replacing both sensor at home.

things can snowball really quickly when poking around...if its fine leave her be!

sean5995 09-25-2012 04:06 PM

Make sure the lug nuts are on tight.

doctordoom 09-26-2012 01:11 AM

What exactly is a "wobble sound?" Is it like the sound of airplane tires on the runway? Kinda like a whirring that fluctuates? If it is, it's probably just the sound of your tires, especially since you said they have a little bit of uneven wear. Or it could just be noisy if the tread design is a noisy one. Some tires are noisy as hell.

Try putting on your spare donut and see if the noise is gone.

pearl 09-26-2012 08:30 AM

Nothing is rubbing/scraping. If you have ever been in a lifted jeep, that is how it sounds in between 20-40. Nothing else really makes any noises or anything like that.