Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   Tokico HTS / D-Spec Feedback (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/74613-tokico-hts-d-spec-feedback.html)

dustinb 10-08-2012 02:31 PM

Tokico HTS / D-Spec Feedback

OK let me just start by saying that I've tried MANY different Suspension Configurations. This includes:
Config 1:Stock Shocks, Tein Springs, Tanabe front tower brace
Config 2:Stock Shocks, Progress Springs, Tanabe front tower brace
Config 3: D2 Adjustable coilovers, Tanabe front tower brace
Config 4:KYB Shocks, Stock Springs, Tanabe Front tower brace, progress rear sway bar, DMZ rear brace
Config 5 (current): Tokico HTS Shocks, Stock Springs, Tanabe Front tower brace, progress rear sway bar, DMZ rear brace

As you can see, I've experimented a lot with suspension. I originally just wanted the car lower (for looks) but was somewhat aghast with how badly the car bucked back and forth as soon as the spring rates were increased. I'm getting older now, and with my wife and daughter regularly in the car as passengers, it just wasn't an acceptable ride. I tried a different set of springs (Progress), but still experienced a harsh ride.

I decided to put the car back to stock (stock springs & Shocks), but then got talked into trying autocross. I drag raced my previous car, and decided it was time to get into another motor sport. I was immediately sucked into autocross, but the understeer was simply insane. Body roll was really bad as well - so the question became, how do I get a livable ride that can handle the track?

I though the solution was a full set of coilovers from D2. I ordered the set and threw them in the car. The ride was much better than just a standard lowering spring, but even on their softest dampening setting, it was still too harsh.

I then ordered a set of KYB G shocks, Progress rear sway bar, and the DMZ rear brace. I installed the stock shocks on the KYB, and put it in the progress and DMZ. The KYB shocks are definitely stiffer than stock, but they still offer an acceptable ride. I was blown away at the track with the transformation in how the car handled. I attribute it mostly to the rear sway bars. After I put my kraftwerks supercharger kit in though, this setup was having trouble with the additional power.

SO I was going to leave it with this configuration, but then Tokico had their huge 70% factory clearout. I ordered the HTS dampers for $450 (instead of regular $1500) and just installed them a few days ago. The HTS offers 7.5 levels of damper adjustment (1 being the softest, 7.5 being the hardest). Let me say that first off, the damper feels like a real quality product (although it does NOT have a place for the stock damper boot to clip on to). They are a painted deep red color, and they even include metal screw on caps to keep debris out of the top of the damper adjustment. I was impressed.

When I first took them for a drive, I set them to the recommended setting of 2.5 as a starting point. I couldn't believe it, but the car was MUCH softer than factory. It floated, which for a Honda Fit, I thought was impossible. I haven't set it to 1 yet, but I imagine it would be town car like. I then dialed all four dampers up to 4.5, and the car reacted basically exactly the same as my KYB G shock setup (Config 4). Finally, I decided to jack up all four to 7.5 and see what happens. The car was extremely solid, it was like I was on coilovers - body roll was gone.

I haven't had a track day yet, but one is coming up next weekend. I'll be playing with different configurations - they recommend in front wheel drive cars to have it softer in the front and harder in the rear to increase oversteer. It's a full day of autocross so I should have lots of time to play around with different settings. Unfortunately the weather forecast is rain.

So here are the things I've gotten out of my suspension trials:
1. Tokico HTS are awesome.
2. I can swap all four dampers in 2 hours (including compressing the spring and transporting it).

TPColgett 10-08-2012 04:15 PM

Haha, you sound exactly like me! Or my GE8 friend who is on his 3 set of coils after springs :rotfl:

I also have the HTS/D-spec Tokico's on my 2008 GD, and have had them for around 30K miles now. I AutoX on weekends and then soften it up to significant other approved levels of comfort for the ride home :D It only took a two block test drive for my other GD friend to snag a pair on the discount! He loves his as well.

Especially at 70% off, so something like $550 shipped for most people, its an EXCELLENT upgrade for both comfort and performance when you want it!!!

PS when I AutoX, I start at FULL lock hard front and rear, this will depend heavily on your tire/wheel/pressure/driving preference choices as well though. If its over steering too much, lower rear tire pressure before you soften the suspension... just my $.02

dustinb 10-08-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1137529)
Haha, you sound exactly like me! Or my GE8 friend who is on his 3 set of coils after springs :rotfl:

I also have the HTS/D-spec Tokico's on my 2008 GD, and have had them for around 30K miles now. I AutoX on weekends and then soften it up to significant other approved levels of comfort for the ride home :D It only took a two block test drive for my other GD friend to snag a pair on the discount! He loves his as well.

Especially at 70% off, so something like $550 shipped for most people, its an EXCELLENT upgrade for both comfort and performance when you want it!!!

PS when I AutoX, I start at FULL lock hard front and rear, this will depend heavily on your tire/wheel/pressure/driving preference choices as well though. If its over steering too much, lower rear tire pressure before you soften the suspension... just my $.02

Awesome, thanks for the info on the setup. I'll definitely start with full hard and see what happens :)

TPColgett 10-08-2012 05:43 PM

I know 10 pages seems like a lot, but this thread is BURSTING with useful AutoX info from a ton of users https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ml#post1137426 You should totally check it out and share your results!!!

Blurred Visionary 10-10-2012 02:21 PM

Any idea how much longer they'll be on sale? I didn't see any dates on the website, and I'm wondering if it'll last 'til payday (next Thursday). ::fingers crossed::

TPColgett 10-10-2012 02:31 PM

BIG fingers crossed for you man!!!

mkane 10-10-2012 06:57 PM

And these won't work on a GE?

TPColgett 10-10-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mkane (Post 1138142)

Ok.... I cannot say that they will, but I know that others have bolted up GD suspension on GE chassis... I do not recall what type of allowances were made to make it work. The major issue as that I remember them having was spring rates, not the dampers themselves.... So, hypothetically, these MIGHT go on a GE, and then one MIGHT be able to adjust the dampening to match whatever springs one was running.... all for around 1/3 the cost of coil overs...

mkane 10-10-2012 07:29 PM

And we were considering coilovers for next seasons auto x. These might be worth a try. I believe the hang ups were the VSA/ABS mounting points.

Wanderer. 10-10-2012 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mkane (Post 1138142)

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1138151)
Ok.... I cannot say that they will, but I know that others have bolted up GD suspension on GE chassis... I do not recall what type of allowances were made to make it work. The major issue as that I remember them having was spring rates, not the dampers themselves.... So, hypothetically, these MIGHT go on a GE, and then one MIGHT be able to adjust the dampening to match whatever springs one was running.... all for around 1/3 the cost of coil overs...

They will "fit" on a GE, you may have to figure a few things out as far as spring rates, spring lengths, etc.

See below:

Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR (Post 418316)
The shocks "will not work" they are much longer ..... and the spring rates for the new fit are much softer than the 1st gen...

Here is a shot of stock GD3 Suspension parts on a GE8 for referance;) :popc:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...D3susonGE8.jpg

From this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-thread-7.html

TPColgett 10-10-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mkane (Post 1138156)
And we were considering coilovers for next seasons auto x. These might be worth a try. I believe the hang ups were the VSA/ABS mounting points.

I JUST put new Bilstien coil overs on my friends GE and they came with zip ties for those LOL

Also if your considering REAL race spec coil overs, you should most certainly look here at these guys 2009 Fit Suspension Page

I also have them looking at my stock dampers to see what they can do for the GD :D:D:D

Blurred Visionary 10-11-2012 03:13 AM

I'm strongly considering the combination of the HTS's and the Progress RSB. They'll be my first mods of any sort, and if the HTS's are still on sale in a week, I'll be ordering them as soon as my paycheck clears.
That said, does anyone have input on whether aftermarket springs would significantly increase performance over OEM with that setup (w/o killing DD comfort)? and if so, recommendations on optimal spring rates and F/R ratios? again, I'm looking for improved handling and halfway-decent comfort - drop isn't even on my radar, other than not wanting to go TOO low. I've plowed through the 9 pages of the spring comparo sticky, so I know the specs on the major brands.
My understanding is that the stock dampers are pretty craptastic, which my butt dyno supports, but with the vast (i think) improvement of the HTS's, is a really stiff spring necessary/helpful? Also, with the RSB, it wouldn't be necessary to have a high rear-to-front stiffness ratio, right? Thanks.

TPColgett 10-11-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blurred Visionary (Post 1138268)
I'm strongly considering the combination of the HTS's and the Progress RSB. They'll be my first mods of any sort, and if the HTS's are still on sale in a week, I'll be ordering them as soon as my paycheck clears.
That said, does anyone have input on whether aftermarket springs would significantly increase performance over OEM with that setup (w/o killing DD comfort)? and if so, recommendations on optimal spring rates and F/R ratios? again, I'm looking for improved handling and halfway-decent comfort - drop isn't even on my radar, other than not wanting to go TOO low. I've plowed through the 9 pages of the spring comparo sticky, so I know the specs on the major brands.
My understanding is that the stock dampers are pretty craptastic, which my butt dyno supports, but with the vast (i think) improvement of the HTS's, is a really stiff spring necessary/helpful? Also, with the RSB, it wouldn't be necessary to have a high rear-to-front stiffness ratio, right? Thanks.

You have done your homework! Good :D Honestly I had an RSB, and the HTS's on my car for a while with the stock springs. It was very good, but not nearly as good as the SWIFT springs I have on the car now. Not much of a drop, and being both linear and only a few kg firmer than stock, no negative impact on DD comfort or cargo hauling. I AutoX the car and used to do a large amount of canyon carving, and the impact on turn in, transitions and even braking is VERY noticeable. They are becoming hard to find since they are no longer in production, but if performance is key, I highly recommend them!!!

FitStir 10-11-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1138162)
I JUST put new Bilstien coil overs on my friends GE and they came with zip ties for those LOL

Also if your considering REAL race spec coil overs, you should most certainly look here at these guys 2009 Fit Suspension Page

I was set on the Bilsteins, then Chris developed the Koni system. Now I can't decide... it was much easier when all we had was Swift springs. lol :rotfl:

Those Koni's are nice!!! and you can get them with Swift coilover springs.

TPColgett 10-11-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by FitStir (Post 1138318)
I was set on the Bilsteins, then Chris developed the Koni system. Now I can't decide... it was much easier when all we had was Swift springs. lol :rotfl:

Those Koni's are nice!!! and you can get them with Swift coilover springs.

My friend, DoYouFit? LOVES his Bilsteins, and in the past whenever our shop had replaced shocks/struts they had gone with Bilsteins as the go to replacement.... but I am not a fan of progressive springs, and the Bilsteins are not dampening adjustable....

It's all kinda moot for me though as I have a GD :D I'm just hoping Chris can cook something up for me!!!

Blurred Visionary 10-11-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1138316)
You have done your homework! Good :D Honestly I had an RSB, and the HTS's on my car for a while with the stock springs. It was very good, but not nearly as good as the SWIFT springs I have on the car now. Not much of a drop, and being both linear and only a few kg firmer than stock, no negative impact on DD comfort or cargo hauling. I AutoX the car and used to do a large amount of canyon carving, and the impact on turn in, transitions and even braking is VERY noticeable. They are becoming hard to find since they are no longer in production, but if performance is key, I highly recommend them!!!

Thanks! I've only found NIB Swifts a couple of places online and they're ~$300, so I'm probably going to have to tool around on the OEM's for 2-3 months until my wallet recovers from ~$675 worth of damper-&-RSB-goodness. The anticipation is already killing me...
I noticed that the Swift's are noticeably stiffer in the back than the front; combined with the RSB, doesn't that setup promote a fair amount of oversteer? I mean, that's great for AutoX, but not so much for driving around town in the rain... right?
Anymore informed opinions out there?

TPColgett 10-11-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blurred Visionary (Post 1138399)
Thanks! I've only found NIB Swifts a couple of places online and they're ~$300, so I'm probably going to have to tool around on the OEM's for 2-3 months until my wallet recovers from ~$675 worth of damper-&-RSB-goodness. The anticipation is already killing me...

YEOUCH! Yea.... I Troll the classifieds lol That or online clearance sales... I think I got my Swifts NIB shipped for $240 :D

apexanimal 10-12-2012 09:03 PM

where are you guys finding these hts' still on sale? i found a set on amazon for 770 but that's still a bit much...

is that koni setup actually on sale yet?

doctordoom 10-12-2012 10:27 PM

Haha it's simple, go to Tokico's website.

Tokico Shocks, Springs and Suspension Kits - Save Up To 70%

Blurred Visionary 10-13-2012 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by doctordoom (Post 1138765)
Haha it's simple, go to Tokico's website.

Tokico Shocks, Springs and Suspension Kits - Save Up To 70%

Damn, I was sort of hoping no one would answer that question until I'd had had a chance to buy a set of my own.... sorry, apexanimal...