Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Axle popped out and now have a clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Axle popped out and now have a clunk

Changing my suspension springs yesterday and of course the axle rolled off my jack and popped out. I tried for a 2-3 hours to put it back without any luck and eventually cut the metal band and pulled the boot back...which was a huge mistake! Even then, I could only get it back in when it was perfectly aligned while giving light persuasion with a sledge hammer on the axle side.

Anyway, during the test drive I noticed some clunking on the side I had problems with when I go over small bumps. Not all the time though and typically not on big bumps like a speed bump or anything. I've accelerated hard and nothing, stopped quick and nothing, turned sharply under power and without power and nothing...but going straight at 5-10 mph and it sounds terrible...sometimes. I'm guessing it's a suspension issue instead of the axle but I can't find anything loose. Sway bar link, top shock mount, and lower shock mount are all tight.

I have no idea what's up. Could something be wrong with the axle?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
You'll probably need to buy a new axle. When Ilowered my Ge I had the same thing happen. Internally in the housing the u-joint was banging around only at certain speeds and eventually blew a hole through thw casing. $500 bucks later, no more noise.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what could've caused it? The bearings were good when I put it back in and I made sure the bearings went back in the way they were although they could be mixed up. A decent amount of grease leaked out but I wouldn't have thought that would cause a huge issue since there was so much to begin with.

What about just pulling the axle back out, remove all excess grease, and add new grease?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Ok after a lot of disassembly, inspections, and reassembly, I never actually found anything wrong. So I did a quick test drive without the right front sway bar link and the clunking disappeared completely. I think what happened was the sway bar threads got jacked up and I thought the nut was bottomed out when it actually wasn't. I shook the crap out of that thing earlier and couldn't wiggle it but I guess it was loose enough to move under the weight of the car.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry for not responding, glad you found it ro be the link.