Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   Against my better Judgement I cut my springs (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/85297-against-my-better-judgement-i-cut-my-springs.html)

radfit 10-06-2014 04:38 PM

Against my better Judgement I cut my springs

Hey guys,

A couple years ago I listened to a car buddy of mine and cut my springs. Now my car rides like shit and is ridiculously low. I'm currently on 17 inch rims and my alignment is not great so I'm running through tires. It looks alright but it's not ideal. I'm thinking of going back to stock, or at least redoing the suspension, and also putting back the stock rims and tires. I don't know a ton about cars and I'm trying to keep the price down low. Should I just get the factory shocks and springs or should I be looking into coil overs? What do you guys think?

mike410b 10-06-2014 04:59 PM

Factory stuff will:
-Ride better
-Be cheaper
-Last longer

Cheap coilovers will:
-Suck

Get stock stuff, GET AN ALIGNMENT, call it a day.

domoMKIV 10-07-2014 02:02 PM

What exactly does "keep the price low" mean? $5? $600? $eleventybillion?

Santiad 10-07-2014 02:13 PM

depends on your priorities

Do you want a lower ride that ride a bit better? Get Swift springs....someone here is selling a set for $280 or so....

You might find someone here selling stock springs for about $100

regardless I recommend new shocks since cutting the springs have probably put stress on them they were designed to take. I purchased KYB OEM replacements when I switched to swifts. I like em...

As for the wheels....that is entirely up to you....stock suspension with 17's might touch...not sure.

Budget $400-500 for aftermarket spring setup and $300 for stock.

lee lrd 10-17-2014 07:05 AM

cutting springs really isnt a great choice, not only do you shorten the damper stroke but you send spring rates all over the place...
best bet is get some decent springs and maybe even new shocks if needed incase you have killed yours.

pearl 10-17-2014 12:05 PM

You can run any of the springs you see on this forum with the stock struts for many thousands of miles without any issues.

I have been running S-tech's since 22k and now have 91k on my 08. Rides the exact same way it did when I first put them on.

mahout 10-30-2014 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by radfit (Post 1269354)
Hey guys,

A couple years ago I listened to a car buddy of mine and cut my springs. Now my car rides like shit and is ridiculously low. I'm currently on 17 inch rims and my alignment is not great so I'm running through tires. It looks alright but it's not ideal. I'm thinking of going back to stock, or at least redoing the suspension, and also putting back the stock rims and tires. I don't know a ton about cars and I'm trying to keep the price down low. Should I just get the factory shocks and springs or should I be looking into coil overs? What do you guys think?

The best thing for you to do is buy a set of one inch lowering springs; if your current shocks, presumeablyt OEM, are not shot thanks to lowering too much, they are reuseable. If not, new shocks are needed and you might as well get adjustables, like AGX, koni, or Bilsteins. AGX are likely close to OEM shock prices.
Just out of curiosity how much did you cut the springs? More than one coil was too much
Ride and cornering wikll be improved drastically.