Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Koni Orange STR.T And B&G Suspension Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Post Koni Orange STR.T And B&G Suspension Lowering Springs

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1401168

After installing lowering springs, the car looked fantastic. But performance took a slight hit, and the car became bouncy. Koni has a special running so ... this was a no brainer purchase. For those who need the rebate:

KONI NA KONI Improved Rebate

Prior to the switch away from D2 Racing springs, I took some ride height measurements:

Front Left:
8750 1102L - Koni Shock - STR T Series - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS KNOWLEDGE PASSION

Front Right:
8750 1102R - Koni Shock - STR T Series - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS KNOWLEDGE PASSION

Rears:
8050 1131 - Koni Shock - STR T Series - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS KNOWLEDGE PASSION

Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Install was straight forward. Huge bonus when removing the D2 springs.... no spring compressor needed! YAY!

The only thing(s) I was not 100% sure on was... how much of the bump stop to trim... and the order of re assembling of the rears. I'll attach pics, if I did it wrong.... someone please let me know

This was how the oem rears came off

This was the way re assembled the koni's

Trimmed 1.5 inch off the bump stops

Will report back after a week to let it all settle

Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
A month ago, I went with Koni Orange struts/shocks and B&G lowering springs. Springs have definitely settled, I forgot to update my thread and post ride height:

Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
UPDATE:

replaced the b&g springs with tein's and it greatly improved ride comfort. much less bouncey! handling is slightly improved as well, can corner a little more flat/experience less body roll

ride height remained about the same:

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM
How did the shocks affect the ride, I assume its more flat like car goes over bumps without moving the cabin so you don't feel it?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
most people will need new shocks/struts when they install lowering springs

the oem shocks/struts are not valved correctly and the lowering spring will prematurely end the life of oem components fast. you'll want to google your answer ... its pretty darn technical. most people upgrade to kyb or koni's for mutiple reasons .... performance, not destroying oem componenets, ride quality, etc

if your case, it would appear eibach's play nice with oem struts/shocks.... so technically you can skip koni/kyb if you'd like (altho I personally would recommend making the jump to koni's)

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-...lower-your-car

Myth 1: If I buy lowering springs, I can't use my original shocks.

Fact: Springs that produce mild lowering of about an inch work well with newer factory shocks. In fact, Eibach's Pro-Kit Spring Set and even their more aggressive Sportline Spring Set are designed around a vehicle's original suspension.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 PM
My car handles great now, but definitely putting Koni on the future build list to make this car even more awesome!

Old 01-24-2022, 11:30 PM
I hate to be that person that brings a thread back from the dead, but I need a little direction. About this time last year, I did this same basic install on my 2018 Fit Sport. Only real difference is that I used Eibach springs. About a month ago I started getting a lot of squishy, mushy, and thunky noises coming from the rear of my Fit. Upon inspection, my rear Koni's have evacuated the vast majority of their fluid. In the year I have had these, I have put about 4 track days and 15k-ish of daily driving.

My question to you or anyone who has gone with the GE shocks/struts on the GK is, what was the reasoning to cut the bump stops? During the initial install I left my bump stops alone. I don't know if that was the cause of the failure, or if it was just plan old aggressive driving. I have bought replacement Koni's that will be installed once I get a good direction. I'm leaning towards cutting the 1.5 inches from the bump stops, and gonna hope that I don't have to repeat this process next year.

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks Fit Fam.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
I’m at 18 months post install and I’ve been extremely underwhelmed with my STRt since the day I installed them.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I’m at 18 months post install and I’ve been extremely underwhelmed with my STRt since the day I installed them.
Yes, they are a bit underwhelming, but it's the only real performance upgrade we can do to the GK that isn't too expensive, like the HFP kit, which is priced close to some of the cheaper coilover options. At this point with the money I've spent now on a set of front struts, TWO sets of rear shocks, and my Eibach springs I bought when they were on closeout, I'm quite content for how little money I've spent versus the performance return on investment.

Let it be known that I did contact Truhart before I went to Koni route, as they use to list the GK on their application list. I was responded by a single sentence from their customer service team
"These are discontinued due to lack of interest."

Old 01-25-2022, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Lowering springs and oem replacwment shocks aren’t a performance modification. Your butt dyno may tell you it is, but it really is not.