Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S review

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S review

Replaced my oem Dunlops with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, not impressed. The Michelins grip better than the Dunlops, but they have a softer sidewall..combined with the tight suspension it just doesn't feel very nice. The car also understeers more now and even has a little torque steer..I guess all that movement up there really messes with the car. I am annoyed because these were a good $50 more than the dunlops..

I wore the dunlops out in 23k miles, hopefully I can wear these out sooner.

Would increasing the psi help any? Currently I am running 35 psi.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
i would have expected more from these....my buddy runs them as a sporty a/s on his ep3. michelins are expensive as crap though.

if you are already running 35psi, you should be good man. I never thought our cars could exhibit torque steer. its kinda funny, as thats about the last thing we have.

hope it gets resolved man! how were the reviews on this tire on tire rack?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
i would have expected more from these....my buddy runs them as a sporty a/s on his ep3. michelins are expensive as crap though.

if you are already running 35psi, you should be good man. I never thought our cars could exhibit torque steer. its kinda funny, as thats about the last thing we have.

hope it gets resolved man! how were the reviews on this tire on tire rack?
Yeah i was surprised..i guess it's not really a torque steer but more of the sidewall rolling under when i accelerate from a stop while turning..it sucks. I had very high expectations for these tires. $126 for these things!!

Tire rack had decent reviews, though a few people complained about a soft sidewall..should have read all the reviews first.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
yup, had the same tires on my car. to say the least, they are:

big time ****ing shit

have to give michelin a little credit tho, for the first 6000km it was good.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the input!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
wow. this is dissapointing. i know michelins are good, but it seems that they follow a sort of hit or miss kinda pattern: some tires are amazing, but others are total crap. i know the pilot exaltos in summer spec are the shiz.

i'll be sticking with bfgoodrich (which is made by them, go figure! or bridgestones.)

Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I had my first set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos 185/60 14 for approx. 40k miles. I thought they were amazing. Outstanding traction that gave me great confidence. Very good ride quality, too.

In fact, I liked them so much that I went out and bought another set. But the new tires seem to have a softer sidewall. I was running 35 psi in the old Michelins and they were perfect. Now, I am running up to 39 psi in front and they still look a little under-inflated. Rear tires are okay at 35 psi. The ride quality and traction are good, but not quite as excellent as the first set.

P.S. I didn't like the OEM Dunlops, and I burned through them in 12k mi.

What pressures is everyone else running in their Exaltos?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
I had my first set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos 185/60 14 for approx. 40k miles. I thought they were amazing. Outstanding traction that gave me great confidence. Very good ride quality, too.

In fact, I liked them so much that I went out and bought another set. But the new tires seem to have a softer sidewall.
There's an all-season version (A/S) and a summer version (PE2). I wonder if you accidentally switched to the A/S. From what I can gather, they are two very different tires; it's not only the tread pattern that is different.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard612
There's an all-season version (A/S) and a summer version (PE2). I wonder if you accidentally switched to the A/S. From what I can gather, they are two very different tires; it's not only the tread pattern that is different.

Oh, sh*t. That's the worst news.

Ah, well. I'll just have to run these out (and never trust that tire guy again). The tread pattern looks the same to me. And they are not all that bad, considering the punishing I give them. But the first set were marvelous.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
I had Pilot Exalto A/S tires on a Camry and they were great on that car, but didnt get them for the Fit because they were on the soft side for a performance tire. Tirerack reviews were excellent, but Michelins are almost always the most expensive. Went with Yoko Avid Envigor instead and am very happy so far.