Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Wheels & Tires (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-wheels-tires/)
-   -   Wheel and tire question (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-wheels-tires/71789-wheel-tire-question.html)

THE_CRUCK 05-03-2012 10:27 PM

Wheel and tire question

Usually in the past I try to stuff the biggest wheel I can under a vehicle, but I just bought this 07 Fit base a few weeks ago and came across this site in a google search. This is my first honda, I'm in the mini truckin scene have had many projects but this will be my first with this style. Anyway, my question is, what is the best size wheel and tire to go with to keep the mpg. With the factory steelies and having the AC on full blast everywhere I go while driving like a granny I'm averaging like 31-32mpg city with and A/T. I have a 1.8/1.5 spring kit coming for it, I'm liking the stance look with the wide wheels and low offset but I know the wider I go the lower my mpg is going to go along with taller. And that lighter is better. I was think 17x7 with a 205/40zr17 in the lightest wheel I can afford. Not going to go crazy with it, just clean and simple daily. Anyway, if you have input please let me know.

bmxman 05-03-2012 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by THE_CRUCK (Post 1096872)
Usually in the past I try to stuff the biggest wheel I can under a vehicle, but I just bought this 07 Fit base a few weeks ago and came across this site in a google search. This is my first honda, I'm in the mini truckin scene have had many projects but this will be my first with this style. Anyway, my question is, what is the best size wheel and tire to go with to keep the mpg. With the factory steelies and having the AC on full blast everywhere I go while driving like a granny I'm averaging like 31-32mpg city with and A/T. I have a 1.8/1.5 spring kit coming for it, I'm liking the stance look with the wide wheels and low offset but I know the wider I go the lower my mpg is going to go along with taller. And that lighter is better. I was think 17x7 with a 205/40zr17 in the lightest wheel I can afford. Not going to go crazy with it, just clean and simple daily. Anyway, if you have input please let me know.

well if you're trying to get the most mileage 15x6.5 or 7 make more sense. You could run a 195/60/15 tire and it would really help you at the tank. I'm currently rolling on 17x7 wheels with 205/45/17 tires and I really notice a difference in acceleration and at the pump!

THE_CRUCK 05-04-2012 01:04 AM

What if I did like a 16x7 with a 195/45r16?

mahout 05-11-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by THE_CRUCK (Post 1096872)

Believe it or not a 195 or 185 section tire with diameter slightly less than stock, say not over 1/4" will fill the need for maximum performance and mpg. The real advantage is choosing a wheel with 45 mm offset compared to stock 52mm. 205/40x17's are way too heavy, tire or wheel. If you must go with 17" wheels 195/45x17 tires on 45 mm offset are needed if you are lowering.
Your choice of tire depends on your performance requirement and TireRack evals.
good luck.

Texas Coyote 05-11-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mahout (Post 1098871)
Believe it or not a 195 or 185 section tire with diameter slightly less than stock, say not over 1/4" will fill the need for maximum performance and mpg. The real advantage is choosing a wheel with 45 mm offset compared to stock 52mm. 205/40x17's are way too heavy, tire or wheel. If you must go with 17" wheels 195/45x17 tires on 45 mm offset are needed if you are lowering.
Your choice of tire depends on your performance requirement and TireRack evals.
good luck.

I agree with Mahout... 195-50-15s would be the best thing you could put on a Fit with automatic transmission.. There are some wheels that weigh under 10 lbs in 15" but most have more offset than 45mm.. The Enkei RPF1s have 41mm offset in 15" and weigh in right at 9.5 lbs.

krunk13 05-11-2012 06:11 PM

But aren't the tires for 15's heavier?