Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Off-brand/clone rims

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Off-brand/clone rims

I've been looking at upgrading my rims to accommodate wider tires, but I don't have the $$$ to shell out for name brand racing rims right now. I've been looking at some cheap eBay knockoffs, but I'm worried about build quality. The ones I'm looking at are from XXR and Aodhan, has anyone had any experience with these brands? At around $500-$600 a set, they're affordable, but not quite cheap enough for me to just go for it and find out.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike42
I've been looking at upgrading my rims to accommodate wider tires, but I don't have the $$$ to shell out for name brand racing rims right now. I've been looking at some cheap eBay knockoffs, but I'm worried about build quality. The ones I'm looking at are from XXR and Aodhan, has anyone had any experience with these brands? At around $500-$600 a set, they're affordable, but not quite cheap enough for me to just go for it and find out.
I can appreciate spending within your budget. Personally I'm not a big fan of rep wheels. Usually they're heavier than OEM and not the best quality. You can google rep wheel failures and see tons of pictures.

anyway, a used set SSR Type C 16X7 sold for $560 eBay a couple weeks ago. I've owned Sparco wheels which are designed by OZ. They're made in China instead Italy like the OZ. Kosei are a quality Japanese wheel in your price range. The Tire Rack house brand TR wheels aren't bad. I currently own a set and am happy with the quality for the cost. Maybe. 949 Racing wheels, Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 or some Enkei RPF1 if you can step up and spend a little more?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Another option is Jadon and Hillary Frank are selling their SCCA Solo Nationals winning CRX Si and their extra wheels.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ne...-honda-crx-si/

Old 09-25-2017, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Rob had some great recommendations above. I'd add...how about some branded knock off's? Like Rota, Motegi, konig, etc? You don't get light weight, but you get acceptable quality.

We've put many miles on our Rota RB's without issue. After plenty of use they still hold air and don't have any visual defects. They are just 3 or so pounds heavier than higher quality wheels.

I'm heavily shopping for our next set of wheels and it's looking like a near $2,000 proposition to get something that is both lightweight and sexy, so I appreciate your battle. Most wheels are either light (Enkie, Kosei, etc) or are pretty (Rota, Konig, Motegi, etc). If you want light, quality, and sexy, prepare to spend a lot of money (Volk, Rays, Advans, etc)!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I honestly don't care if they're ugly lol, I just want something light, and wide enough that I have tire options. I didn't realize I could get a set of used RPF1's that cheaply, that looks like a great option. Only thing is the tires I'm wanting (Bridgestone RE71R) don't come in anything narrower than a 195, but that should squeeze onto a 7" without any real problem shouldn't it? Or should I try to find something in a 7.5?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
195's are generally used on 6 or 6.5" wheels. Our factory GD sport wheels came with 195's on 6" wheels.

I'm currently running a 205 on a 7" wheel and it's still fairly stretched.

What model Fit do you have?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM
2010 GE8 base. Am I doing my math wrong? 195 mm is 7.67 inches, but I admit I don't really understand the specifics of how tire sizes correlate with wheel widths (why is one in metric and one in SAE? whyyyy must it be so complicated lol) <_<

Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I honestly don't care if they're ugly lol, I just want something light, and wide enough that I have tire options. I didn't realize I could get a set of used RPF1's that cheaply, that looks like a great option. Only thing is the tires I'm wanting (Bridgestone RE71R) don't come in anything narrower than a 195, but that should squeeze onto a 7" without any real problem shouldn't it? Or should I try to find something in a 7.5?

Bridgestone recommends a 5.5"-7" wheel for the 195/50/15 RE-71R. For the 205/50/15 RE-71R the recommended rim width range is 5.5"-7.5" with a measured width of 6.5" and tread width of 7". Personally, I'd go with the 205 wide tire on a 7" wide wheel. Not sure why you want narrower tire?

Look at the specs page in the link below and you will see what Bridgestone recommends for rim with for each tire size. Some of it is related to sidewall hight.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...E71R&tab=Sizes

Last edited by Rob H; 09-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
This Site will help you a ton...

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Check your stock wheels for the dimensions/offset and enter the info on the left. Then enter your possibilities on the right.

I think you will end up wanting a 205/50-16 on a 16x7 wheel with offset of around +43 or slightly more.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
My numbers were based on 16's. Your model came with 16's in the Sport trim.

I'm wheel shopping as we speak and will go with 16's partly for tire options. 205/50-15's are a good size for tire options, but it's smaller diameter than stock sport tires. 205/55-16's put you close to stock diameter, but that's not a real popular size.

I do NOT want to go down in diameter with our GD because first gear is already crazy short and it's already turning a ton of rpm on the highway. That being said, the 205/50-15's would be excellent for autocross.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
My numbers were based on 16's. Your model came with 16's in the Sport trim.

I'm wheel shopping as we speak and will go with 16's partly for tire options. 205/50-15's are a good size for tire options, but it's smaller diameter than stock sport tires. 205/55-16's put you close to stock diameter, but that's not a real popular size.

I do NOT want to go down in diameter with our GD because first gear is already crazy short and it's already turning a ton of rpm on the highway. That being said, the 205/50-15's would be excellent for autocross.
Mine's a base model, they came with 15s. Suitability for autocross is my main consideration, so I think 205/50-15s on a 15x7 is what I'll go with. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Mine's a base model, they came with 15s. Suitability for autocross is my main consideration, so I think 205/50-15s on a 15x7 is what I'll go with. Thanks!
Nice! That will be an excellent set up.

Find wheels with as much offset as possible. I have +40 and do not recommend them. The inside edge of the wheel is spaced further from the strut than factory and we get slight rubbing on a fender tab in the rear with severe dips. It looks great, but the driveability would be better with a +45 or even +48. You can always add spacers to move out, but milling the wheel to bring it in isn't a great option.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

OK, what class do you plan on running in if SCCA Solo or is this Miata/BMW or Porsche club autocross? Autocross is my hobby.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Ah, I was wondering about that. Do you think I'll have any issues rubbing on the inside edge under sharp turns with more offset, especially given that I'm going with a wider wheel?

Old 09-26-2017, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Concern is more about rubbing outside since there's no good solution for that if you don't want to hack up your car.

+40 rubs on the outside. I think +48 would work. +45 is probably optimal.

Sure looks like the +41's above are clearing, but not by much! Not sure if a good dip would have them hit in the rear. Rob, any clearance issues? I'm guessing you have 15x7's in +41?

Last edited by GAFIT; 09-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
OK, what class do you plan on running in if SCCA Solo or is this Miata/BMW or Porsche club autocross? Autocross is my hobby.

I ran in HS in my first SCCA Solo event last weekend, but after looking at the rules I'm afraid my planned brake upgrades might put me in Street Touring.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I ran in HS in my first SCCA Solo event last weekend, but after looking at the rules I'm afraid my planned brake upgrades might put me in Street Touring.

Stay in HS, it will be cheaper in the long run. Buy the RE-71R or BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5 For a street car either zero toe front and rear or maybe a 1/16" of front toe out for better turn in. Max out the front negative camber. Between the tires, alignment and maybe a rear sway bar you can call it good.

I normally autocross a WRX. I went two years on the OEM rotors and pads. I know guys who run STR with their S2000's and are on OEM pads and Centric rotors. Go buy whatever flavor of brake pad you desire and some solid Centric or KNS rotors and call it a day. My Friend Chris came in 4th at the Solo Nations a couple weeks ago in DS with his WRX on OEM rotors and Stop-Tech pads. Myself I run Carbotech AX6 but I wouldn't recommend them for a vehicle that sees both daily and autocross. I've run Hawk HPS and HP+ in the past. HP+ aren't a very good daily pad. HPS didn't seems to stop the car any better than OEM, they just didn't fade. I know guys who run Project Mu, EBC Yellow, EBC Green, Ferrodo and Hawk.

Call KNS Brakes. They race what they sell. They will give you solid advice, not sell you what makes them the most money or what they have in stock like other vendors.

KNS Brakes

Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
Stay in HS, it will be cheaper in the long run. Buy the RE-71R or BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5 For a street car either zero toe front and rear or maybe a 1/16" of front toe out for better turn in. Max out the front negative camber. Between the tires, alignment and maybe a rear sway bar you can call it good.

I normally autocross a WRX. I went two years on the OEM rotors and pads. I know guys who run STR with their S2000's and are on OEM pads and Centric rotors. Go buy whatever flavor of brake pad you desire and some solid Centric or KNS rotors and call it a day. My Friend Chris came in 4th at the Solo Nations a couple weeks ago in DS with his WRX on OEM rotors and Stop-Tech pads. Myself I run Carbotech AX6 but I wouldn't recommend them for a vehicle that sees both daily and autocross. I've run Hawk HPS and HP+ in the past. HP+ aren't a very good daily pad. HPS didn't seems to stop the car any better than OEM, they just didn't fade. I know guys who run Project Mu, EBC Yellow, EBC Green, Ferrodo and Hawk.

Call KNS Brakes. They race what they sell. They will give you solid advice, not sell you what makes them the most money or what they have in stock like other vendors.

KNS Brakes
Damnit, I already bought Hawk Sector 27 rotors and HP+ pads. Guess I better find out what their return policy is...