GI: Retrofit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) from TRS - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

GI: Retrofit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) from TRS

  #1  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Vanct's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 969
GI Group Buy: Retrofit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) from TRS


7-25-11: Group Buy canceled for now.



Post here if you are interested in a group buy for a complete retrofit mini D2S kit from The Retrofit Source. I'm not sure how TRS will option out the kits yet, but I believe we'll be able to pick our own bulbs, shrouds, etc. The standard kit is currently $295. Once we have at least 10 people interested, I will contact TRS for details and pricing.

1. Vanct
2.
3.
...
 

Last edited by Vanct; 07-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Why the d2S instead of the H1? Or am I missing something?
 
  #3  
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Vanct's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 969
Morimoto Mini H1 vs Mini D2S?

I decided on the D2S simply because I heard that it fits H4 housings very well with no cutting into the reflector bowl required, just plug and play (you will still have to open your headlights to install).

I'm no pro at HIDs, so if someone knows better, please inform.
 
  #4  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: oakland,ca
Posts: 145
I'm running the H1 mini morimot, also you can buy "blemished" projectors for 75$shipped through TRS, and just get the bulb from them for 35$ and just use some cheap ballast....im using a 55w ddm ballast
 
  #5  
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 65
I'd opted for the DS2 Mini because I already had DS2 bulbs from previous installs and I can always buy Phillip or Osram bulbs for replacement instead of rebased bulbs.

It's a matter of preference on what you what as both have similar performance but based on reviews, H1 have more output and width and the DS2 have more foreground light. I like my DS2's performance so I can't complain. It was an easy install that you can do yourself at home. For the rest of the components, I had a 1st gen TRS ballasts which looks like the old Hella but ended up getting their Morimoto ballast. Any decent quality ballast will work.
 
  #6  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Ugh idk if i want to get these or just get the FX-R kit. I do a lot of night driving out in the middle of nowhere where I can cut the lights off and not see a thing. With the lights on and on high i can see about 75 feet in front and then pitch black after the edge of the beam. I want something with a crap ton of light output. The high beam projectors on my M5 were insane. You hit those and it was light for as far as you can see.
 
  #7  
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Vanct View Post
Morimoto Mini H1 vs Mini D2S?

I decided on the D2S simply because I heard that it fits H4 housings very well with no cutting into the reflector bowl required, just plug and play (you will still have to open your headlights to install).

I'm no pro at HIDs, so if someone knows better, please inform.
See below:
Originally Posted by gohdunlam View Post
im using a 55w ddm ballast
You should change to 35W ballast. I'd recommend something OEM or Morimoto 3Five. If you run 55W for extended periods of time in the MH1, you will, if you haven't yet, burn the bowls.

Are you using the MH1 in the Fit? Did it fit snug in the bulb hole in the headlight, or did you have to mount a different way?
Originally Posted by sometimesjoe View Post
It's a matter of preference on what you what as both have similar performance but based on reviews, H1 have more output and width and the DS2 have more foreground light.
Its not really a matter of preference. The sizes of the threads are different. The D2S's "neck" (part that fits through the bulb hole in OEM headlight) is bigger than the MH1... So if the D2S fit in the Honda Fit headlight without having to trim anything, then chances are the MH1's "neck" will be too small to fit snug. And adversely, if the MH1 fits snug, then the D2S will be too big.

You said you opted for the D2S... Are you using it in the Fit? If so, did it fit snug or did you mount another way?

Also, the MH1's performance is better. That is basically the consensus...
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
Ugh idk if i want to get these or just get the FX-R kit. I do a lot of night driving out in the middle of nowhere where I can cut the lights off and not see a thing. With the lights on and on high i can see about 75 feet in front and then pitch black after the edge of the beam. I want something with a crap ton of light output. The high beam projectors on my M5 were insane. You hit those and it was light for as far as you can see.
If you were speaking MH1 vs. FX-R, I'd say FX-R is not worth it. I've spoken to people who have had both and they have said both projectors have very similar performance, and the only big difference they noticed is the MH1 has a tad more foreground light.

If you're talking D2S Vs. FX-R, I'd have to say IMO that performance-wise, FX-R would probably be better, but FX-R are not "plug and play"... So you'd have to do a lot of cutting/measuring/bracketry/epoxy..... Basically many many hours vs. an evening is the difference between FX-R and D2S where install is concerned.
 

Last edited by FollowingNFront; 05-18-2011 at 07:33 PM.
  #8  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Also, the MH1's performance is better. That is basically the consensus...

If you were speaking MH1 vs. FX-R, I'd say FX-R is not worth it. I've spoken to people who have had both and they have said both projectors have very similar performance, and the only big difference they noticed is the MH1 has a tad more foreground light.

If you're talking D2S Vs. FX-R, I'd have to say IMO that performance-wise, FX-R would probably be better, but FX-R are not "plug and play"... So you'd have to do a lot of cutting/measuring/bracketry/epoxy..... Basically many many hours vs. an evening is the difference between FX-R and D2S where install is concerned.
So basically if I want the higher performance with a "PNP" retrofit then get the H1 instead of the D2S?

and @ gohdunlam Did you have to do any modifications to the headlight housing to make everything fit. Other than taking it apart that is.
 
  #9  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
So basically if I want the higher performance with a "PNP" retrofit then get the H1 instead of the D2S?

and @ gohdunlam Did you have to do any modifications to the headlight housing to make everything fit. Other than taking it apart that is.
Well, from what I understand, the D2S is a decent performer in its own right... To me, it mimics the E55 projectors. If you go to HIDPlanet.com you will find a lot of info there... But basically, the E55 projectors aren't known for a very good low beam output at all, but they are said to have the best high beam of any bi-x projector...

The MH1 has a very good low beam and a high beam that was always enough for me.

In this case, its really a matter of which projector (MH1 or D2S) fit your headlights size-wize. I think the D2S is still a very cost effective option and for that reason alone, would probably make me get it if the MH1 didn't fit. Also, taking D2S bulbs is a plus because you can use good OEM bulbs like Philips and Osram, etc. With the MH1 you have to use aftermarket H1 HID bulbs. In all fairness, Theretrofitsource offers a bulb that is just as bright as OEM and I think when compared to a few OEMs its even brighter, but I'd have to check on that last part.

Either way, considering the ease of installation and price, I still think if your car can only fit D2S properly, its still worth it. Its still leaps and bounds over halogen. But my fave is the MH1.
 
  #10  
Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Guess i'll wait to hear from gohdunlam on how bad the install is on the GE with the H1 before making a decision. Like I said, Lighting is a big priority for me and I really want the best I can get while not having to do insane amounts of work to the head light. Don't want to really destroy things and then have them not work, Know what I mean?
 
  #11  
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
Guess i'll wait to hear from gohdunlam on how bad the install is on the GE with the H1 before making a decision. Like I said, Lighting is a big priority for me and I really want the best I can get while not having to do insane amounts of work to the head light. Don't want to really destroy things and then have them not work, Know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean. That is why, although I'd love TL's (said to be the best all around bi-x), I am not willing to go through the trial and error in trying to make them fit and all of that for the amount of upgrade in lighting I'll get over the MH1... Bang for buck the MH1 is unbeatable.

There are some people with OEM projector retrofits that spent mucho bucks on parts/labor, etc., that have said the MH1 are good for a pnp projector... But the truth of the matter is, they are good amongst all projectors! They give most if not all OEM projectors a run for their money on the road... I see it firsthand every night I'm behind the wheel! And I have also driven many cars with OEM HID projectors- Range Rovers, BMWs, Mercedes, TSX, TL, Lexus- and I have not driven one that was noticeably "better" than my MH1 in a way that made me feel left out of anything. In fact, many of them were beaten by the MH1.

For instance, below are a couple pics of my MH1 in my Accord vs. a Lexus SC430 (projectors are said to be on par with S2k when slightly modded)... Pics were taken with a crappy 2.0 megapixel phone cam:

Lexus SC430:



My Accord with MH1:







AND, in a few weeks, TRS (Theretrofitsource) is going to be releasing the MH1 4.0, which has better chrome in the bowl (which will translate to better longterm reliability and more than likely even brighter output and possibly further improved distribution- which really isn't an issue, but more light is always welcome), better high beam solenoids (some MH1 have a "sticking" problem with the solenoids), and better hardware. So I can't wait to see them. If they are improved that much, it would be interesting to see some of the "big dogs" tested side by side with them.

Me personally, I'm going to redo my retro at the end of the year with brand new OEM lights, and the MH1 4.0 since my OEM lights have a few imperfections on the lenses and such from my vigorous "cleaning" when I had the lights apart, and from DD in the winter and overall.

But in your case, if the D2S is what in fact is the proper "fit" for your Fit, then you have to ask yourself if it is worth the several hundred dollars you will spend on parts, god forbid something goes wrong, REPLACEMENT parts, and/or if worst came to worst, having someone do it for you. You could be looking at upwards of $1000 in a "worst case scenario" situation. Or, spend $300-$400 tops and install D2S and still be miles ahead of what you have now.

The D2S is a good bang for the buck as well. You should really check out HIDPlanet.com if you haven't yet. There are so many threads with pictures and opinions and such that you may have a more well rounded opinion about what you really want out of a retrofit when you're done. For you, I'd say D2S should suffice. They aren't "bad" projectors from what I understand (I personally haven't dealt with them).
 

Last edited by FollowingNFront; 05-19-2011 at 12:55 AM.
  #12  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Vanct's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 969
Great info FNF, keep us posted on that MH1 4.0, price particularly.

I like your Accord's MH1 over the Lexus, I prefer that distinctive cutoff line. We need more info from people who have done retrofit installs in the H4 housings and what fits.
 
  #13  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
God damn those look good dude. I'm liking the H1's. If they fit in the fit(lol) then I'm gonna get those. Not sure if I'm gonna wait for this update or not.. Really want to get those out of the way soon as I'll probably be making a lot more middle of the night trips over the summer.
 
  #14  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 627
its true the H1 morimotos are better performers than the D2S. this is why i went with the H1 instead of the D2S even when the H1 is not really direct pnp.

there are some modification or fabrication on the brackets to get them to fit into the H4 hole without it moving around and fit snug.

i have to agree followingnfront that the output on the H1 is nothing short of oem projectors. if you have the money to spend on a set of projectors that are fairly simple to retrofit i would highly recommend the H1.
 
  #15  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by JJIN View Post
its true the H1 morimotos are better performers than the D2S. this is why i went with the H1 instead of the D2S even when the H1 is not really direct pnp.

there are some modification or fabrication on the brackets to get them to fit into the H4 hole without it moving around and fit snug.
How much modification did it require? And how long did it take you?
 
  #16  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Vanct View Post
Great info FNF, keep us posted on that MH1 4.0, price particularly.

I like your Accord's MH1 over the Lexus, I prefer that distinctive cutoff line. We need more info from people who have done retrofit installs in the H4 housings and what fits.
I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but I don't think the price should be changing on the 4.0... But I'll still let you guys know.

If you want to find out more about D2S or MH1 retros into different lights/housings, I highly recommend HidPlanet.com. Its chock full of it.
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
God damn those look good dude. I'm liking the H1's. If they fit in the fit(lol) then I'm gonna get those. Not sure if I'm gonna wait for this update or not.. Really want to get those out of the way soon as I'll probably be making a lot more middle of the night trips over the summer.
Thanks... As far as I know (from the owner of the company) the 4.0 will be coming out towards the end of this month. In my personal opinion, it would behoove you to wait for it. I certainly would. Why not get the best you can get if only a couple weeks are to be sacrificed? That's how I see it. I don't think you'd be sorry
Originally Posted by JJIN View Post
its true the H1 morimotos are better performers than the D2S. this is why i went with the H1 instead of the D2S even when the H1 is not really direct pnp.

there are some modification or fabrication on the brackets to get them to fit into the H4 hole without it moving around and fit snug.

i have to agree followingnfront that the output on the H1 is nothing short of oem projectors. if you have the money to spend on a set of projectors that are fairly simple to retrofit i would highly recommend the H1.
Hmmm so what did you do to mount them? Did you mount it the old fashioned way and drill holes in the headlight reflector and hold the MH1 in with screws?

Did you take any pics of the process or final outcome?

How's it holding up?

Ps... I noticed in your sig you have "Philips 85122+ bulbs".... Those bulbs aren't available in H1. You sure that's what you have? EDIT: I just saw your thread over here thanks to JAMY... The bulbs you have are now being offered by TRS as the "XB35" bulbs... It turned out they were not REAL Philips rebased bulbs, but they are still the brightest H1 bulb you can get, with statistical data showing them to be brighter than any other H1 HID bulb. Just wanted you to know that, as I have the XB35 as well.
 

Last edited by FollowingNFront; 05-19-2011 at 03:55 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Thanks... As far as I know (from the owner of the company) the 4.0 will be coming out towards the end of this month. In my personal opinion, it would behoove you to wait for it. I certainly would. Why not get the best you can get if only a couple weeks are to be sacrificed? That's how I see it. I don't think you'd be sorry
I thought we were talking a month or so. I can definitely wait a couple of weeks. I'm gonna look into this website you suggested for the time being.
 
  #18  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Sounds good. I'm over there too with the same username, so if you wanted to look up my thread about my retro also, feel free. There is a plethora of info on that site.
 
  #19  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Jamy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,997
I should have done a search before... JJIN made a thread about his.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...exclusive.html

Even though it doesn't give specifics it still give me an idea of what it would look like
 

Last edited by Jamy; 05-19-2011 at 03:39 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
I should have done a search before... JJIN made a thread about his.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...exclusive.html

Even though it doesn't give specifics it still give me an idea of what it would look like
Gotcha. Considering how big the Fit's reflector is, you should look at the Gatling Gun 2.0 shrouds. They are bigger and should fill the reflector much nicer. When I redo my retro at the end of the year, I want to use the GG2.0 in place of the Mini Gatling Gun that comes with the MH1. In the Accord reflector, it will need some trimming, but I think its worth it.

Here they are:
Gatling Gun 2.0 - Projector Shrouds from The Retrofit Source Inc
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GI: Retrofit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) from TRS


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.