Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Ram Air Duct for GK5

Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
Trying to present an Impreza (of any trim, even the STI) as a 'performance car' or something elevated above other econoboxes is silly. It's an econobox that happens to have power, a huge tuner market, and a cool rally history. Unfortunately that tends to go to people's heads and fluff the image of Subaru beyond something it objectively is.
Well, then .... whatever semantics float yer boat.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Yeah, well, end of rant I guess. I try to be objective, thought I don't always succeed.

Having spent a long time in the Subaru community, one gets annoyed at the 'OMGRALLYCAR!' idiocy from WRX owners. And seeing someone be arrogant over ownership of a Subaru is just absurd.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
In this day and age when apparently you can be whatever sex, race or spirit animal you feel like at the moment, then sure we can call any car a performance car.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
In this day and age when apparently you can be whatever sex, race or spirit animal you feel like at the moment, then sure we can call any car a performance car.
Lol. I get the sense my Fit thinks it's a furry. Maybe I'll hang a tail from the tow hook.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone is on the fence about the duct, here's a bit of semi useful information. I tried to mock up a duct out of cardboard to see if it was worth making a fiberglass version, and I lost 3mpg with no real change in throttle response or perceived power. After 100 miles I put the factory piece back on and mileage went back to normal.

Despite being cardboard, the shape was actually pretty good, gradual curves instead of right angles and abrupt step transitions, the overlap was sealed with tape to make it smooth, and I taped the upper side to the hood to keep it from collapsing under acceleration (I doubt there would be enough vacuum to make that happen, but don't have a gopro to point at the grill while driving).

The only explanation I could come up with is that being cardboard, it wasn't going to be an exact slip fit into the rubber hose leading to the airbox. I wrapped it as snug as I could around the hose and sealed it on the outside with more tape, but the hose stuck about a half inch into the piece, and that could make for a turbulent transition. Looking at it from the front of the car, there really wasn't anything else to cause an obstruction.

The short version is that if the duct here is something you're really considering, might as well go for it, because it's not as simple to make it work as it looks. Unfortunately for me, I'm too stubborn to give up and I have a few more ideas on how to make a more comprehensive intake mod. If it fails I'll probably add my name to the buy list, though.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Latest update

44.999 MPG calculated with RAIS and CVT - D mode

Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
What's up everyone!

Just wanted to touch base with anyone interested in the Ram Air Duct. So far only 1 commitment. hopefully we can get this list going before end of month. Let me know if you have any questions. Fellow FitFreak @2Rismo2 can speak to his experience with the mod. Thanks for all the info you've shared thus far buddy!

Cheers!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome back bro. I've been enjoying the RAIS too much lately. Last 2 tanks I've only been able to get 42 down from the usual 44 MPG

Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome back bro. I've been enjoying the RAIS too much lately. Last 2 tanks I've only been able to get 42 down from the usual 44 MPG
thanks for reporting man!

im targeting mid-end of Nov for my dyno... i am so bent on purchasing the Ktuner... ill be a bit disappointed if i cant get the hp numbers with that added tuning support... ideal goal with current setup and ecu tuning = 130whp... might be wishful thinking

Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
thanks for reporting man!

im targeting mid-end of Nov for my dyno... i am so bent on purchasing the Ktuner... ill be a bit disappointed if i cant get the hp numbers with that added tuning support... ideal goal with current setup and ecu tuning = 130whp... might be wishful thinking
Back to 45 MPG this morning

Let us know how the KTuner works for you. I briefly looked at it, but the closest dealer is pretty far from me and I'm hesitant on messing with my DD.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
So TougeMonster_GK5, looks like no one else wants to commit? Dang ... like I said before, it's a bit pricey, but, hell, you can easily spend that on "a night on the town" with nothing to show for it in the morning. Was worth a shot....dang...

Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I have one question, is there something to prevent water from being sucked in?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by orataro
I have one question, is there something to prevent water from being sucked in?
No but I don't think it's an issue. I've driven 45 minutes in medium to heavy rain and not a drop of water in the air box. Also there is a drain hole in the air box. Check by popping out the air filter.

It was a concern of mine as well but not anymore after owning it for a few months.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
So TougeMonster_GK5, looks like no one else wants to commit? Dang ... like I said before, it's a bit pricey, but, hell, you can easily spend that on "a night on the town" with nothing to show for it in the morning. Was worth a shot....dang...
Yeah it's a bummer. I'm still trying to work a deal out with my supplier, we shall see!

Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Yeah it's a bummer. I'm still trying to work a deal out with my supplier, we shall see!
Well, maybe someday, then ....it's funny, one of my first thoughts when popping the hood was why does Honda have the stock duct sucking up from below ....I considered cutting out the front of the stock piece. It is what it is, although I'm sure they have their reasons

Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Well, maybe someday, then ....it's funny, one of my first thoughts when popping the hood was why does Honda have the stock duct sucking up from below ....I considered cutting out the front of the stock piece. It is what it is, although I'm sure they have their reasons
Sorry guys, I tried to post up my experiences and review to build some interest but I guess it wasn't enough.

I'm assuming Honda was concerned about water ingesting as they have it coming from behind the grill. I've been through enough rain storms to be confident it's not an issue.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Went through some pretty heavy rain yesterday so I wanted to check the airbox again to see if any water got through. No water, but a whole leaf was in there. Fall time on the east coast

Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Went through some pretty heavy rain yesterday so I wanted to check the airbox again to see if any water got through. No water, but a whole leaf was in there. Fall time on the east coast
Yee!!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Ge8

Hey,

Do you know if one is made for a 2010 GE8?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Moyock101
Hey,

Do you know if one is made for a 2010 GE8?
Hello, no, my supplier does not have a version for the GE8, only GK5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Air Duct for GK5