Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Modifications Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/)
-   -   Raising the driver seat, anyone have suggestions? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/17545-raising-driver-seat-anyone-have-suggestions.html)

Ritzbury 10-06-2007 10:59 PM

Raising the driver seat, anyone have suggestions?

has anyone raised the front seat? i'm looking for an inexpensive way to life it 1.5 or 2 inches higher. anyone have suggestions? are the bolts long enough to put a spacer in under the seat between the floor?

Injundon 10-07-2007 01:16 AM

It's possible to add a spacer to the seat rails. I wouldn't try spacing it at the floor mounts. You'd need to buy some grade 10 bolts of the right size/thread. Just be warned that this could cause your seat to break loose in the event of an accident.

Ritzbury 10-07-2007 10:32 AM

I am planning on being very very cautious about it, since the gas tank is right under the seat. i might get longer bolts of the right thread, and put a spacer in. i'm about to check it out when it get's warmer outside

Cat 10-07-2007 12:18 PM

Have you thought about just getting a seat cushion to give you a few more inches of height? There are several good products on the market which would bring up your height but not alter the seats.

Cat :x

Apex77 10-09-2007 10:08 AM

Phone book :D

Nabisco 10-11-2007 12:40 PM

Just curious as to why you wish to raise the seat height. I think the seat feels a little too high myself. Perhaps I'm used to older Hondas.

TOOL 10-11-2007 02:05 PM

The seats super high already IMO....But get like a booster or something??

Ritzbury 10-11-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nabisco (Post 183762)
Just curious as to why you wish to raise the seat height. I think the seat feels a little too high myself. Perhaps I'm used to older Hondas.

oh, because i'm 5'8'' and my legs are abnormally long for someone my size. my feet are at a weird angle to get the pedels. i want to raise it to correct that angle.

i tried on sunday. it wouldn't work anyways. the bolts are all angled perpindicular to themselves.

aallbbeerrtttttt 10-17-2007 11:53 PM

Good old yellow pages trick =P

But seriously, I would want to LOWER the seating position of my seats.

Originally Posted by Ritzbury (Post 183811)
oh, because i'm 5'8'' and my legs are abnormally long for someone my size. my feet are at a weird angle to get the pedels. i want to raise it to correct that angle.

i tried on sunday. it wouldn't work anyways. the bolts are all angled perpindicular to themselves.

BlackCobra 10-24-2007 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by aallbbeerrtttttt (Post 185888)
Good old yellow pages trick =P

But seriously, I would want to LOWER the seating position of my seats.

If you lower it then would it affect how the seats suppose to function like when you lay the seats flat?

EyesofFreedom 10-27-2007 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Injundon (Post 182258)
It's possible to add a spacer to the seat rails. I wouldn't try spacing it at the floor mounts. You'd need to buy some grade 10 bolts of the right size/thread. Just be warned that this could cause your seat to break loose in the event of an accident.

If you hit hard enough to brake a 10 bolt you probably wouldnt live through the accident anyways...

Injundon 10-27-2007 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by EyesofFreedom (Post 188937)
If you hit hard enough to brake a 10 bolt you probably wouldnt live through the accident anyways...

With a 1" Dowel the sheer potential makes a grade 10 9.5MM Shaft(14mm head typical) bolt pretty weak.

PizzaFit 10-27-2007 02:09 PM

Have you talked to your local Honda Service department? Perhaps a rail from another Honda vehicle will fit and might have a higher seat placement. If not, try a custom seat pad.

storm88000 11-09-2007 04:23 AM

You guys really think the seats are already too high? I think they're too low, although I'm also about 5'8" like the OP.. would like a nice inch or two raise..

solbrothers 11-11-2007 02:55 PM

maybe sit on a phone book?

swigeric 12-15-2007 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by storm88000 (Post 192852)
You guys really think the seats are already too high? I think they're too low, although I'm also about 5'8" like the OP.. would like a nice inch or two raise..

yeah try being 6'...im coming from a honda element that had a height adjustment knob on the drivers seat...every time i get in the fit the seat bolsters are to tight, the seat is to low and the lack of a deadpedal makes my ankle turn sideways.....kinda ironic that they call this car a "fit".

kodo 12-16-2007 04:50 PM

is there a way to lower it? i am too use to old civic lower

Ritzbury 12-16-2007 05:18 PM

i know they've talked aobut lowering it on here, but it will be tricky since the gas tank is right under the driver seat

Skimmer 01-10-2008 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzbury (Post 183811)

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by 'perpendicular to themselves'?

I would like to just raise the front of the driver's seat slightly to give the seat bottom a little backward tilt. I'm 6'1" and think that would be more comfortable for working the pedals while allowing me to keep the seatback where I want it to reach the wheel. I wish Honda had provided this kind of adjustment from the factory. :( The otherwise cr*ppy Hyundai cars I drive at work have wonderful adjustability like this using two knobs on the side.

Ritzbury 01-10-2008 06:38 PM

the bolts are at an angle, pointing outward from eachother. if it's the back tilt you are looking for, you can easily do that, with possible modding or bending the front bracket. just loosen the bolts or take a good look, and you'll know what i was talking about.