Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Modifications Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/)
-   -   New Mod Made ***7mpg*** (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/21696-new-mod-made-7mpg.html)

Sid 6.7 02-24-2008 11:53 AM

New Mod Made ***7mpg***

Stock, I could not get over 35-36mpg even with an empty car on the highway. Around town, driving agressively, I've gotten as low as 20mpg.

A few days ago I put on my home made $40 short ram.

I was on the road today for 8 hours heading down here to Gulf Shores from Memphis. At one point with some slowing and speeding (and a burst to 100mph to pass a couple trucks) but setting cruise at 75mph, I got 40.5 mpg with about 500lbs total baggage and people. AMAZING!! I never got over 36mpg before this.

Then after that, on a more stable portion about 150 miles long, set at 75mph, I got 43.8mpg!!!!!! I am shocked and amazed.

Here is the thread about my SRI:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...am-intake.html

http://www.speedsoutheast.com/pp/data/589/DSC_25591.JPG

cojaro 02-24-2008 12:29 PM

Another Memphian?! I didn't think anyone else here lived where I live. We needa meet up some time.

And I wish I had thought of doing a piece-together intake. So much cheaper price-wise...

solbrothers 02-24-2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cojaro (Post 245221)
Another Memphian?! I didn't think anyone else here lived where I live. We needa meet up some time.

And I wish I had thought of doing a piece-together intake. So much cheaper price-wise...

yeah. all intakes do the same thing. might as well save some cash

bluecivic107 02-24-2008 01:29 PM

Are you Kidding!!

Not for nothing... you simply can NOT double you miles per gallon by simply replacing the air box with a cone filter...

Plain and simply, its not possible....

cojaro 02-24-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivic107 (Post 245252)
Not for nothing... you simply can NOT double you miles per gallon by simply replacing the air box with a cone filter...

The OP isn't saying that. He's saying that he noticed that his MPG with highway driving when from less than 35mpg to now over 40mpg. He increased his highway gas mileage by less than 10mpg.

dank24 02-24-2008 01:51 PM

So two threads about a sri? This one in the wrong section. Cool

bluecivic107 02-24-2008 02:01 PM

even so, I can understand gains of 3 to 5mpg from variability of driving behavior, but i can't comprehend a 7mpg gain on just this cone filter mod...

I can see 1 to 3mpg gain Cold Air Induction or Ram Air Induction, but not this mod.. Infact, you're probably hurting performance. All the air your sucking into your combustion chamber is HOT air from the engine bay...

Snap Fit 02-24-2008 03:55 PM

who said Double???? yeah true I can probably drive in first and second all day and get 15mpg pooo, and then suddenly use 5th and get 30mpg!

I probably would have put this in the mpg thingy thread...maybe a mod can move it.

Congrats on the findings, I would like for you too keep us posted (are you buy chance planing on getting a scangauge? That would be an interestng combination, that might clarify some results for ppl.

Snap Fit 02-24-2008 04:02 PM

[quote=bluecivic107;245277]even so, I can understand gains of 3 to 5mpg from variability of driving behavior, but i can't comprehend a 7mpg gain on just this cone filter mod...

I can see 1 to 3mpg gain Cold Air Induction or Ram Air Induction, but not this mod.. Infact, you're probably hurting performance. All the air your sucking into your combustion chamber is HOT air from the engine bay...[/quote]

two words that rarely should be used together:D

anywho indeed I am no expert on this but it seems possible from what some others have noticed and noted. Heck even some of the FI guys are saying higher MPG's (which makes some sense, but still blows my mind:eek: )

maybe its not so bad, as the grill (i think...have to go check) is right infront of the filter so maybe its constantly getting a decently cooler flow of air....whadduya guys think? And it is probably breathing easier...hmmm...
Heck it even sounds like a fun to do mod.
If you are not getting lower (average) mpg's and the car is not "over heating?" or sucking in crud....no harm no foul right?:o

Sid 6.7 02-24-2008 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivic107 (Post 245252)

Chill out dude. Who said double?!? The title of the thread says 7mpg.

And I have 5 people as witnesses to this mileage. I am amazed and shocked as I stated. I have been in the retail performance parts business for 10 years and I have heard of very few cases of helping out mileage like this. But it is in the realm of possibility. It can happen. Now if I said I was getting 55mpg, then I could understand you calling BS. But this is the truth.

And how is this in the wrong section? This thread is about mileage gain, correct? Which forum should this be in then?

pastafarian 02-24-2008 08:30 PM

Did you test your city mpg with this installed. I may have to get this if your city mpgs went up a lot.

Sid 6.7 02-24-2008 08:36 PM

I haven't driven it in the city yet, but I will let you guys know when I do.

pastafarian 02-24-2008 09:13 PM

i figure it increases you highway mpg but your city it think will see a drop. My reasoning, highway is pretty steady driving unless passing,
but city its going from neutral to 3000 lots of shifts and down shifts (esp with revmatching) and speed changing.

Snap Fit 02-25-2008 12:52 AM

OH...I was just thinking it could go here-
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-fit/

it sounds like a good fit for that forum;)

Sid 6.7 02-25-2008 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Snap Fit (Post 245676)
OH...I was just thinking it could go here-
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-fit/

it sounds like a good fit for that forum;)

Thanks, I didn't even see that forum.

FCBrandon 02-25-2008 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivic107 (Post 245277)
but not this mod.. Infact, you're probably hurting performance. All the air your sucking into your combustion chamber is HOT air from the engine bay...

I doubt drastically increasing filter surface area would hurt performance, but even if it did, decreased performance doesn't mean decreased efficiency. Actually, colder air is denser, increasing the air to fuel ration, requiring the ECU to respond with more fuel to even out the mixture...therefore increasing fuel consumption.

perseverance8@hotmail.com 02-25-2008 09:28 PM

I can see how someone might see these gains with an improved intake over a stock/restrictive intake, it would reduce pumping losses and increase the ability to suck more air. Pumping losses are a very large part why intakes improve power output, because if an engine has a restrictive intake it takes more power to suck air. He is claiming ~13 to 19% increase in fuel economy which I can easily see happening from an intake, expecially one that is as restrictive as the stock fit.

Sid 6.7 02-25-2008 10:37 PM

Thanks for the props.

SpoonSportFit 02-25-2008 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cojaro (Post 245221)
Another Memphian?!

Whoo !! Memphians ftw haha, and i see sid knows mellon too haha.
Back to subject, cool findings with the short ram

bluecivic107 02-26-2008 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by FCBrandon (Post 246342)
I doubt drastically increasing filter surface area would hurt performance, but even if it did, decreased performance doesn't mean decreased efficiency. Actually, colder air is denser, increasing the air to fuel ration, requiring the ECU to respond with more fuel to even out the mixture...therefore increasing fuel consumption.

You're reasoning is off. The way the stock air box is configured, cold is being sucked through from the Left fender. As you said cold air is denser with Oxygen (compared with Hot air). That will enable an efficient burn producing a better (complete) combustion.

WIth this mod, although your increasing the surface area of the filter, you're sucking in Hot air, which will give a less complete combustion. This will lead to unburnt gasses...

On another note, the way the ECU responds is differrent from what you stated. If you do a mod like CAI and don't reset the ECU, the air to fuel ratio will be the same. If you reset the ECU, then you will remap you A/F ratio..