Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Modifications Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/)
-   -   Air Conditioning emit strange smell (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/24215-air-conditioning-emit-strange-smell.html)

henryd1981 04-19-2008 11:58 PM

Air Conditioning emit strange smell

Every once in a while, when my air conditioning is running, an acrid smell will come from the vents. It's similar to nail polish remover, but it's only brief. After a second, things will be back to normal. I've noticed this happen a few times, so I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the A/C.

Anybody else have this problem?

cactusman 04-22-2008 12:09 PM

I got a moldy smell all last summer and part of the fall whenever the A/C or defrosters were turned on. Almost tossed my proverbial cookies each and every time.

jeffquach 04-22-2008 12:18 PM

i get that smell too...and it smells like crap

BlackCobra 04-22-2008 01:33 PM

after you turn off your AC maybe you should let the vent run for a bit.

BONES76 04-22-2008 04:37 PM

I heard if you keep it on Recirc. could cause a moldy smell...I use recirc during the day and night str8 vent...suppose to help dry out the a/c to prevent that smell....

drzenitram 04-22-2008 04:39 PM

google says...

"Your car has a Cabin Air Filter, that uses active carbon, to filter your interior air. Once the carbon expires, usually in 6 months, it releases a nasty stale smell. Based on the year and make, you'll more than likely have to get yours from the dealer, though i would check around 1st."

maybe it's that?

someone else says...

"The mildew probably got started by running only the "max" A/C. That recirculates the cabin air, which is moist. Using the regular A/C dries out the air. If you run only the max A/C, it leaves moisture in the unit and mildew grows. I'm not sure how to get rid of the smell now, but be sure when you run your A/C to at least finish the last few minutes on regular A/C to dry it out."

kelsodeez 04-22-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCobra (Post 290236)

on a hot day, after you have been running your air conditioning hard, turn on the heat and let it run through all possible vents for about 10 seconds each different setting. condensation will build up in your vents and get moldy if you dont do this.

BlackCobra 04-22-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by kelsodeez (Post 290393)
on a hot day, after you have been running your air conditioning hard, turn on the heat and let it run through all possible vents for about 10 seconds each different setting. condensation will build up in your vents and get moldy if you dont do this.

better stated then what i put.

henryd1981 04-22-2008 05:37 PM

As I've said, it's not really a moldy smell that is bothering me, though I've been there with the moldy smell. This smell comes after the A/C has been operating as normal. You'll be driving along, and all of a sudden, you'll briefly catch a whiff of something almost as strong as nail polish remover. It's almost as acrid. However, it does go away after several seconds. Still, I've never experienced this in any of the other cars I've had.

03DSM-RSX 04-22-2008 10:08 PM

checked your cabin filter? ebay has'em for a lot cheaper than dealers do.

kupono64 06-19-2008 03:02 PM

I've fixed this problem on several of my cars. I bought a truck with a smoke and mildew smell in the AC. This cleared it right out. Any stink smell from the A/C is basically from bacteria and mold. Same as if you had a sweaty shirt sitting in a gym bag. It just sits there and breeds. If you want to get rid of the smell you have to get rid of the bacteria/mold causing it. The condensation is just the facilitator to enhance the growth.

1) Replace the air filter behind the glove compartment.
2) Kill the mold/bacteria causing the smell:
You don't need to buy any special stuff, just a can of lysol or similar disinfectant spray.
Open all the windows.
Run the car with the fan on ventilate, with AC off.
Spray the lysol into the air vents below the windshield. These are on the exterior right next to the wipers. Give it a good 1-2 mississippi in each one.
Let the fan run for 2-3 minutes to spread out all the bacteria killing goodness. The air coming out should begin to smell like lysol. After letting it run, I usually give it a repeat spray and 2-3 minute run.
Turn off the car and just walk away. Let it air out on its own for a while.
That's it!
If you even get a hint of the smell, repeat the process to keep it from getting a foothold. After a couple treatments, the problem never reoccured.
3) The filters you buy usually don't contain activated charcoal, so I just added my own. You can buy them from the fish tank area of most Walmarts. I just sprinkle some on the top.
4) I never use ventilate when I drive and alway run my car in recirc mode. I think the smell comes from bringing in outside air (ladden with particles, dirt and dibris) in ventilate mode. Now you car is basically filtering out all the crap outside and storing it in your AC. It then becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

gimme 06-19-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCobra (Post 290236)

hai! . . . .

zRollerskate 06-19-2008 04:10 PM

yalls girlfriends/lady friends spilled nail polish into the vents somehow and has yet to tell you... problem solved =D

MakinUturns 08-27-2010 01:01 PM

My 2009 Fit Sport has started this at 8500 miles. To me it smells like "Airplane Glue". Intermittent, VERY strong, seems as though the "problem" lasts only moments, then an eventual dissipation. Within the week it began, I have had it to the dealership. "Problem would not duplicate" and service department is not aware of a known condition. They also insisted it was an A/C "mold" problem. PLEASE, this is NOT mold, mildew, or stuffiness.

kday 08-27-2010 02:51 PM

try blasting the heater for a while and dry out any foul odors

Krimson_Cardnal 08-27-2010 06:29 PM

Blast the heat, switch vent positions and switch to fresh air intake.

rubixdimension 09-04-2010 12:06 AM

disinfectant sounds like a good idea! I'll have to try that. If you can get to the evaporator core above the fan with the filter out, you can spray disinfectant in there and see if that helps also.

Don't forget to change your cabin air filters. Our Dealers recommend changing them at the time a new engine air filter is required. But if you're like me, and have most likely changed the engine filter to an aftermarket H.E. filter, then that's out-the-window. I change mine about every 2 months. It really depends on how often you're in your car, and how often you run your vents and stuff. I don't run my a/c all that often, but even just sitting, it collects dust through the outside ventilation. Those filters are activated charcoal element filters, they are white when new and turn black as they wear out. The charcoal can emit a "musty" smell on it's own too when fatigued.

polaski 09-04-2010 07:43 AM

Two months??? wow I can't bring myself to do that. Actually I haven't brought myself to buy a new filter yet and I'm 14 months in :p I have it in the back while I wait to find a day to get to the dealer.

fitchet 09-04-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by henryd1981 (Post 290447)
As I've said, it's not really a moldy smell that is bothering me, though I've been there with the moldy smell. This smell comes after the A/C has been operating as normal. You'll be driving along, and all of a sudden, you'll briefly catch a whiff of something almost as strong as nail polish remover. It's almost as acrid. However, it does go away after several seconds. Still, I've never experienced this in any of the other cars I've had.

Try buying Press On Nails.

stockrex 09-06-2010 11:02 AM

I get that smell in my 2010 when I have a/c on and recirc air. on fresh air I do not get that smell