Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Modifications Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/)
-   -   What is the biggest thing you towed with your Fit? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-modifications-discussion/41305-what-biggest-thing-you-towed-your-fit.html)

Sugarphreak 04-14-2009 11:37 AM

What is the biggest thing you towed with your Fit?

As the title suggests, lets see some towing pictures! :)

I have a hitch on my car, so far I have only used it for bikes. I was thinking about maybe towing a JetSki, small utility trailor or ATV at some point.

Sugarphreak 04-14-2009 07:51 PM

Has anybody towed something yet?

Hootie 04-14-2009 09:13 PM

I don't have any pictures of this; however, I've towed my Carter Talon 150 and possibly my cousin's Hammer Head 150 S.S. (both are go-karts) whenever they broke down.

Fitguy07 04-15-2009 12:17 PM

I will never attempt to tow anything. The manual says specifically not to. However, if it's something light like you guys have been talking about, it can't be that bad.

Sugarphreak 04-15-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by manxman (Post 631400)
SEARCH. dzager wrote a nice report on towing a wooden boat on a 5X8 Northern Tool steel trailer over mountains.

Sweet will check it out for sure,

lol, if I search "TOW" all I get is about a billion threads refering to brightly painted tow hooks :p

EDIT: Just in case anybody else is looking

Originally Posted by dzager (Post 554818)
I have a 2009 Fit Sport Manual - about 7000 miles on it now. I just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys - 1500 miles one way. I towed my trailer I built on a Harbor Freight kit. Here is some info for you:

1. My trailer. Harbor Fright 4x8. I built a box on it that was 4 by 9 feet and 42 inches high - so it is about 4 inches below the roof line of the Fit. It weighs (with my box) 515 pounds unloaded. Loaded trailer weight was 950 pounds - toungue weight 125 pounds.

2. My son and I were on the trip About 350 pounds of people, another 100 pounds clothing, sleeping bags, etc. in the car). We took out the bigger back seat - put a good sized cooler there. One of us could sleep in the back comfortably.

3. Air shocks were at 90 pounds on the way there, and I went with 60 pounds on the way back. 90 gave noticably better handling, but stiff ride (felt bumps) (big rigs passing us didn't rock the rig). 60 was a better ride - but I felt it when we were passed by big rigs (smoother ride) (not bad - but had to steer to compensate).

4. Some roads have poured cement perpendicular to direction of travel. Sometimes these "scallop" with use and weather. This set up a bouncing oscillation that was uncomfortable and made me worry about the hitch. This happened to a lesser degree when I towed with my Honda Odyssey - and I never noticed it when towing with my full size Chevy van. The shorter wheel base tow vehicle is impacted greater. Thank goodness these were few and far between.

5. Plenty of power to tow this weight. Braking was adequate - felt the same as when I towed my 2,000 pound boat with the Odyssey. Would prefer trailer brakes - but I never worried about it.

6. With manual tranny, I had to downshift to 4th only when going over the mountains right before Chatanooga. Left it in 5th all the time. Engine temps never varried (I have a Scan Guage). Now, with an auto tranny I could see there might be problems towing this weight - it would probably down shift a lot. I don't know that I would tow that much with an Auto Fit - for sure I would have a Tranny temp guage, tranny cooler, and really watch it.

7. Mileage really proportionate to speed. At 55 mph got 35 mpg, 65 mph got 30 mpg (no wind and flats), down to 25 mpg with lots of hills and 15+ headwind (at 65 mph). I never went over 65. All of the above with the cruise control. Better mileage if you take it off cruise and coast down hill, allow up to 10 mph speed drop up hill, etc.

8. Hitch mounts and everything look fine - no frame dents or any sign that the hitch shifted in its mounts, etc. Handled the toungue weight and the bouncing, etc. no sweat. No loss of air in the shocks at all. Considering the goofy bouncing in some roads, I was pleased.

Coming back to Illinois we hit heavy rain, 20 mph headwinds, sleet, heavy snow, slop. Went through it all fine.

I think 1,000 pounds is a definite limitation without trailer brakes. I wouldn't tow a trailer that extends above the roof line or outside the width of the car - not enough horse power to over come the wind resistance. If you do tow this high profile - I can't see going over 55 mph (maybe even less).

All in all, it did fine. I was as confident with the Fit towing this 900+ pound trailer as I was towing my 2,000 pound boat with the Odyssey. I tow this trailer regularly during the summer at a loaded weight of about 700 pounds.

I would like to see some more pictures of poeple's towing setup though

artieman 04-15-2009 02:31 PM

it had no problem pulling the drag cars back to the pit....even in 100+ degree weather in vegas at the track...fyi the drag cars weigh around 1250lbs

khanhdom 04-18-2009 05:06 PM

towed my gf....

LOLZ

Sugarphreak 04-21-2009 11:44 AM

Yikes!! :)

seeremlive 04-21-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fitguy07 (Post 631435)
I will never attempt to tow anything. The manual says specifically not to. However, if it's something light like you guys have been talking about, it can't be that bad.

The US is the only country that has the towing restriction. The UK Jazz is rated at 1000 Kilo (2200lbs) towing with trailer brakes and 450 Kilo (990lbs) without. Keep in mind that 1000 Kilo is about the same weight as the car unloaded.

I have heard several reasons for the restriction, they don't want lawsuits, people drive faster in the US, and others. After living in the UK for a while, my opinion is that they have to go up against other cars in the same class that can tow, so they allow towing. Here in the US they want to her sell you an Element, Pathfinder or Ridgeline to tow.

I have my eye on a nice 4x6 trailer at Tractor Supply Company. This is my next mod.

Tork 04-21-2009 09:44 PM

550 lb snowmobile on a 350 lb trailer, worked fine even in fairly deep snow (studded snow tires)
My friend did take pics but cant find them:confused:

Sugarphreak 04-22-2009 09:54 AM

Sweet! Did you climb any hills?

Type 100 05-16-2009 08:41 PM

My dad's Isuzu Trooper. Its ECU got busted sometime last year. I had to pull it out of our garage.

It was NOT pleasant :( Don't do anything like that guys. I could hear my Aibo's chassis complaining, but I had no choice.

Sugarphreak 05-17-2009 05:54 PM

oh man, that is a lot of weight!

qbmurderer13 05-19-2009 02:02 AM

No pictures? How disappointing :(

carlosalicea 05-19-2009 09:43 AM

I towed my brother in law Ford Windstar. The tranny died, so I towed it to the shop....

crash001 02-19-2010 04:22 AM

I saw a pic somewere on here some one painted a small trailer to match their blue fit and they pulled their yamAha on it lol

larry11 02-19-2010 10:20 AM

Largest thing I have towed was my friends wife...;)

gripfaction 03-16-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak (Post 630528)
As the title suggests, lets see some towing pictures! :)

I have a hitch on my car, so far I have only used it for bikes. I was thinking about maybe towing a JetSki, small utility trailor or ATV at some point.

I don't have any pics bit I have towed a FD RX7 with and extension cord for about 2 miles. But the cord snaped like 5 times and the distance between cars got shorter and shorter. But that was at like 80,000 miles now I'm at 118,000 miles and still no problems at all whatsoever

TROPS 03-17-2010 07:43 PM

i never even considered towing anything with mine

Raaaaaaaaaay. 03-18-2010 09:25 PM

Another Fit towed mine. An auto Fit also.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7940/dsc1748m.jpg