Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Most reliable Fit year (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/100103-most-reliable-fit-year.html)

Danrc28 02-27-2019 06:52 PM

Most reliable Fit year

Hey all. Looking to purchase a used Fit. #1 priority is reliability. I was wondering if there are particular years that are better than others. I’ve been told to stay away from 2015+ as those were assembled in Mexico at a new plant and lots of problems to be figured out. Also heard that Honda auto transmissions aren’t the best and manual would probably result in less (and less expensive) issues, is this true? I was thinking maybe a 2014 manual.

This will be my commuter car and I’ll be racking up a lot of mileage, I’ll be doing regular maintenance to ensure things keep running smoothly, just trying to reduce my chances of having big problems down the road. Thanks!

knope 02-27-2019 07:26 PM

It probably depends on the maintenance the previous owner put in. I have a 2017 base model and its been worry free. I've kept the oil and its filter regular at <5k intervals and air filter replacement every ~15-20k miles. Supposedly the 2015 and early 2016?- model years had bad injectors and vtc actuator problems.

GAFIT 02-27-2019 10:15 PM

As much as I prefer the GD Fit, I would put my vote on the '12-13 as the best to own. Made in Japan at the end of that model run.

That being said, mileage and maintenance trump everything. Find one that is low miles and has been well maintained. Maintenance includes valve adjustments and spark plug changes.

GolNat 02-27-2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Danrc28 (Post 1424473)
Honda auto transmissions aren’t the best and manual would probably result in less (and less expensive) issues, is this true?

When properly maintained they are reliable. Drained and filled with Honda ATF at correct intervals and you it will be good. Flushed and filled with junk ATF after it starts shifting funny at 80k miles not good. Yes a manual is always a safer bet though, less complex and cheaper to fix usually. You can get easily get 100k out of a Honda clutch.

Danrc28 02-28-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1424482)
As much as I prefer the GD Fit, I would put my vote on the '12-13 as the best to own. Made in Japan at the end of that model run.

That being said, mileage and maintenance trump everything. Find one that is low miles and has been well maintained. Maintenance includes valve adjustments and spark plug changes.

hey thanks for the reply. Would you also include 2014? Isn’t the 2013 and 2014 the same essentially? Remodel in 2015 right?

GAFIT 02-28-2019 08:04 AM

There weren't any regular Fit's made for the US market in 2014.

sneefy 02-28-2019 08:14 AM

Certain years of the GK, some were made in Japan and imported to the US while the Mexico plant was fixing it's issues. Like my 2017. Just look for a VIN that starts with a "J".

mike410b 02-28-2019 08:47 AM

I'll echo what GAFIT said, the '12/'13 were probably best as a result of being the end of the run and pre-direct injection.

That said, every single year has problem areas to look out for that you can look up on here. It has all been discussed.

fxwebdesigner 03-02-2019 12:06 AM

I don't think there were any "bad" Fit's except for maybe in the 2015 MY which I own. I had a bad axle, a defective replacement in 2015 the year I bought it, maybe with 10K Miles on it. I have 40K now, but ask me if I think this engine will make it to 140K, hmm hard to tell.

The fit and finish from the Mexico plant showed lots of issues in 2015. It is the only Model year where there is a warning sign at Consumer Reports so there are probably numerous problems with the 2015.

I find the Gen 3 Manual Transmission to be "clunky" , it simply is not fun to drive.

Yea if there is one year to be wary of especially if there is high miles it is probably the 2015 MY.

Honda is far from perfect, they are a great engine company that happens to make great cars most of the time. Their transmission technologies in general have had a checkered past. Take a look at the Acura TL debacle in its 2nd Generation. https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...sion-problems/

I believe if you are willing to drive a CVT, then Honda is reputable at them albeit, the issues with noise and just stringy acceleration can be annoying to some, especially in hilly terrain.

I am a driver person that like the acceleration of an electric, or a really awesome gear swapper, like something designed by ZF Transmissions, or similar. CVT can die off as far as I'm concerned.

PhilF 03-18-2019 04:13 PM

My wife's 2016 EX was completely without issues in the 3 years & 7500 miles we had it. 950 mile trip to Wright-Parrerson Field was pleasant, uneventful and got 45 mpg overall. My mechanic at the dealer suggested changing the fluid in the CVT every 20k or so. We use only Toptier fuel and I run Mobil1 0W-20 & Mobil1 filters only, no issues with the Fit or my Civics. We traded on a 2019 EX-L to get Sensing, Navi & heated seats/mirrors. She wouldn't even look at anything but a Fit, she insists that it's the only car that "Fits" her perfectly lol

lewjac3 03-21-2019 07:50 PM

I have a 2013 sport, the only problem I have had was wheel bearings on both sides going bad with 45000 mi, luckily Delray Beach Honda in FL fixed it under the drivetrain warranty, thanks to Mike Tavavres, while Garden State Honda in Passaic NJ said it wasn't covered and tried to rip me off for $1,100.