General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by NineHotel
WOW lizard king what a contrast of mileage. At 216 miles I was still above half, not anywhere near the line.
The highest mileage I had gotten on one tank before was 210. I don't know why it's so low, it always has been. I'm at almost 3000 miles now.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Guys, I was extremely disapointed in my mileage! It was at 24 mpg and I use ScangaugeII. Upon reading all your comments I decided to do an experiment myself. I drive 16 mi. roundtrip to work which is 50% FWY (YES, 16 MILES ROUNDTRIP!) and about 15 mi. more in town, daily. My area is hilly with almost constant elevation changes. FWY ramps are either long downhills or log uphills so that equals it out. I fill up regular gas at Safeway's (does anybody know who supplies them with gas?).
#1 my "standard" driving style got me 24mpg.
#2 tried being conservative, keep revs down in either mode (D or S) - 26.5mpg.
#3 even more conservative with people just about starting to honk at me and give me bad looks and go around me! got it up to 29 mpg.
This is about 75% city and 25% FWY and A/C is amost constantly on.
I even removed my CAI and put back my stock airbox - NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE!
My observation makes me belive that driving style is the greatest key.
Second is road elevatioin changes.
I got best results staying off the gas pedal for as much as possible and coasting to stops instead of downshifting (stick driver habbit).
I do not floor it anymore. Third lane instead of first on the FWY!
As per ScangaugeII, best mileage is achieved at 55-60mph! That is above city limits and dangerously low on the FWY! We are SOL! How did I figure that you ask? I was stuck on slow going FWY due to an accident few mileas ahead and way past my exit! I was forced to stay at 55-60mph!
A/C is good for 1-2 mpg variation.
Try using paddles! I start in 2nd, upshift to 3rd at 10-15mph, 4th at 15-20mph and 5th at 20-30mph! As long as you are accelerating computer will let you upshift. I am in 3rd before I reach other side of small intersection and in 4th just after crossing it.
I am not dissapointed. My CRX gets slightly better, but it is 500 lbs lighter and much more aerodynamic with MT!
I went to 700 mi roundtrip to LA and just about ripped my left side inner fender liner out doing close to triple digits averaging 29 mpg+!!!!
Try that in a 6 cylinder car or even most 4 cylinder cars!
Force of wind through small scoops next to left side fog light generated so much pressure in the fender well! LOL!

Last edited by ciburri; 06-27-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
All I can say guys is I'm lucky to have gotten one of the good ones. Plus, I think I'm figuring how how to drive the car pretty quickly. The drive by wire for sure is trying to do some things - for instance small gas pedal movement at slow speed results in brisk acceleration. I kinda let it do its thing. Generally it shifts below 3500 under moderate acceleration, quicker if just getting up to speed for the 25-35 mph surface streets in this town.

I also find that the Sport mode is awesome for highway around here. Nothing is flat out this way, particularly I-25 and C-470, so the traffic is constantly changing speed. With "regular" cars and cruise control the car is going WFO and passing traffic on slight uphills, then getting re-passed on slight downhills. With the Fit I go Sport mode, lock it in 5th, and let the speed drop 3-6 MPH on the rise. This keeps me in tune with the traffic. A quick tap of the "-" paddle if I'm dropping too much speed.

The basic question is - will it get better MPG with more throttle opening and a higher gear, or less throttle opening and a lower gear? Given the VTEC engine and computer mapping, I think it is the former. Go ahead and let it lug some, and keep it below 4k if at all possible.

This is a 9 second 0-60 car, let's not forget, and in order to do that when run hard the motor has to be capable of sucking down some fuel. The good news is the power is there when you need it. The other good news is with the Sport AT I can avoid that RPM when I want and use it when I want.

Still, I think I got a good one. One has to wonder why some are 10+ MPG off my figures. The fuel filler neck (ever look under the car? It's like 7 feet long) is an issue for sure, so long term over many tank averages are the best way to figure out what the car is really doing.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by WeberSM
First tank filled by dealer, about 90%+ highway driving (~30-35 mile commute each way). All done in D, and I kept the RPMS under 3k almost all the time (babying it for the first 600 miles).

Trip reading: 311.4 miles
Gallons to full: 9.379
MPG: 33.2
Identical conditions for second tank...

Trip reading: 314.4 miles
Gallons to full: 8.838
MPG: 35.6

Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
BINGO!
Fuel neck and cut-off pressures at the cap will affect fuel shut off. At "10" gallons it will make a big difference in mileage. I put in almost 13 gallons to measure capacity with the neck filled.
Other factors have been Methanol content or other summer blends and
I drive in the DFW area which is heavily poop-ulated with rude and aggresive drivers with absolutely no common sense or driving skills. My mileage suffers as a result.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Cape Cod Trip

Hey, I just did a round trip to the Cape. 280 mile. My car has 11K
NyC Metro to Cape Cod. On 95.

So... on the way up. I used Cruise control 60% at 65-67 MPH. This was a lot slower than my previous tips. I wanted to get the max. Got 38.8

On the way home. I drove 70-80 MPH. And got 38.1. I drove the car a lot more hard. i thought this was very interesting. One thing maybe the best speed for Max MPG is 70, not 60-65.

Any way. It did average what the car said it would on the Highway (37).

I did hope to break 40, expecially using the CC, and driving slow.

I am very happy with the performace.

Im sorry for you guys with the poor mpg. Good luck maybe things will change.

Later,
CC

Old 06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NineHotel
I also find that the Sport mode is awesome for highway around here. Nothing is flat out this way, particularly I-25 and C-470, so the traffic is constantly changing speed. With "regular" cars and cruise control the car is going WFO and passing traffic on slight uphills, then getting re-passed on slight downhills. With the Fit I go Sport mode, lock it in 5th, and let the speed drop 3-6 MPH on the rise. This keeps me in tune with the traffic. A quick tap of the "-" paddle if I'm dropping too much speed.
Ditto, the cruise control gets it all wrong on hills, I always take over manually. The super steep ones (CA 580, 680) I peg it to 4th instead of it trying to go WFO in 5th, otherwise the car goes fast slow fast slow -- which is about the worst thing for gas mileage.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up new record I am impressed with mpg on the AT Fit

I have not posted for a long time however I have been keeping records of the gas economy. Yes,each and every tank. I just got a new record high for mixed driving. I would call it ruel. Very little hwy driving on this tank. I drove 280 miles on 9 gallons of usa gas. Which gives a total of 31.11 Not bad... My worst is 20.1 under the same conditions. I now have 6 thousands miles on the car.
I noticed something new that is also a big contrast. When I am driving around on the county road at 35 mph or any place I cruise at incredibly low rpms. The car is capable of keeping crazy low Rpms if you keep the pedle steady. The transmission does not shift up and down it stays right there when you think it might move.
The big contrast to that is when the car was brand new it shifted up and down up and down.
I miss my 5 speed manual Fit alot however I can live with 31 mpg around town driving... I tell it how it is. I said bad things about the Auto Fit to people that expected more gas milage like myself. Maybee it gets better? If I ever get 40mpg I will be in disbelief.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by big Fit
When I am driving around on the county road at 35 mph or any place I cruise at incredibly low rpms. The car is capable of keeping crazy low Rpms if you keep the pedle steady. The transmission does not shift up and down it stays right there when you think it might move.
I've noticed that it takes about 36-37 mph to make it stick in 5th gear.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Did a trip today. Filled up at a pump last night, filled up after the trip at the same pump parked in the same place. Put 1.0 gal in after the pump clicked off each time.

Trip: Drove from Colo Spgs to Raton NM early AM, no AC, 68 MPH on cruise. Came back this afternoon, AC on the whole way, 68 MPH on cruise. Use Sport mode and lock it in 5th gear except for some of the rolling uphills I drop to 4th so no hunting that you get in "D".

Load: me at 170 lbs and about 50 pounds of gear.

Miles on car: 501 at the start of the trip.

Drum roll please......

336.2 miles/8.44 gallons = 39.83 MPG

We named it over the weekend BTW - "Zippy the Fit".

Last edited by NineHotel; 07-02-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 AM
i'm not sure if i should be happy or sad with my Fit Sport AT mileage. First time I checked my mileage I only got around 26MPG on my first tank. That was probably about 70% hwy and 30% city in terms of distance covered. This car is only used around 2 miles round trip for work, the rest are side trips and errands. I filled out the tank when it was about 1/5 of the gas gauge. I then made a trip of about 120 miles running at 95% 60mph on cruise control and rarely using the brakes (I usually just tap the brakes then resume CC). I control the speed by using the CC speed control and minimize the use of the accelerator. The trip is probably 55% mountain pass and 45% flat road or just slightly inclined. I put the gear in neutral on the downhill run to save gas . After the trip, I filled the tank again and did a new calculation -- this time my mileage was about 31mpg. a big increase but nowhere near my expectation since the trip that was just made was probably 99% running at highway speeds (55-61). I'm still currently on my low 300's odometer reading -- this could be the reason for the low mileage as is still in the break-in period. Thing is, I have read that others gotten great mileage even on their first tank! Has anyone here experienced very low mileage on the first tank and getting excellent mileage like 48+ in the long run?

PS: I set the pressure on all tires at 41psi when we left. the trip was made between 2-6 pm. 1 driver, 1 adult passenger and a baby. Aircon on @ 2-3 setting about 65% of the time. Sound is playing at moderate volume. -- does this significantly affect mileage?

Last edited by tr4q3r; 07-03-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Do Not Coast In Neutral, Please!

Originally Posted by tr4q3r
I put the gear in neutral on the downhill run to save gas .
Guys,
I used to be a mechanic while back and I can tell you from my experience that automatic transmissions should not be thrown in neutral at speed even if engine is runing! Pressure of the fluid inside can lock up driving wheels! That is why towing is only recomended with driving wheels off the ground, preferably on the flat bed. If you must be on the driving wheels, then do it just in emergency to get it off the FWY and under 35MPH.
I am not aware that Honda's have any kind of by pass in neutral, so be advised untill somebody can tell us differently!

FYI, one of my clients was runing out of gas through the desert at night. He was in his Mercedes 450SL (classic by now) and coasting downhils in neutral. Transmission locked up driving wheels at 70MPH! According to his story, he did over half a dozen 360's using all 3 FWY lanes plus 2 emergency stoping ones! He nearly hit median wall few times and eventualy slid off into the desert sand without fliping! Lackiest SOB I know!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
There are an awful lot of people with no problems coasting in the Fit around the world if you look. I've been doing it for 23000 miles so far, it never misses a beat out of and back into gear...

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Just put 8.4 gallons in my first (dealer-filled) tank and got 211 miles. That's a 25.1 mpg average, but almost all my driving has been stop-and-go city miles. I have to agree with queenscatmix that NYC driving does kill your MPG somewhat. Hopefully after break-in things will improve, but hey, I'm still getting more miles than in my old car (1987 benz 300E), and I'm spending less, since I can use regular (benz required premium). So net-net, I'm not terribly disappointed. Still, I hope the mpg improves with time.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
no Neutral?

Originally Posted by ciburri
Guys,
I used to be a mechanic while back and I can tell you from my experience that automatic transmissions should not be thrown in neutral at speed even if engine is runing! Pressure of the fluid inside can lock up driving wheels! That is why towing is only recomended with driving wheels off the ground, preferably on the flat bed. If you must be on the driving wheels, then do it just in emergency to get it off the FWY and under 35MPH.
I am not aware that Honda's have any kind of by pass in neutral, so be advised untill somebody can tell us differently!

FYI, one of my clients was runing out of gas through the desert at night. He was in his Mercedes 450SL (classic by now) and coasting downhils in neutral. Transmission locked up driving wheels at 70MPH! According to his story, he did over half a dozen 360's using all 3 FWY lanes plus 2 emergency stoping ones! He nearly hit median wall few times and eventualy slid off into the desert sand without fliping! Lackiest SOB I know!

Only reason that would have locked up is if his engine quit and he kept rolling long enough to fry the trans fluid and then bake the tranny. I would say that maybe the lock-up torque converter engaged but MBZ didn't even have them till the very early 90's very late 80's. I mean if he was able to roll 30-50 miles downhill. Sounds like his trans was going out and he thought it was low fuel. Either way, lucky dude. The reason they say to not tow on the wheels is that the fluid is moving around but the pump isn't turning since the engine is off. This keeps the fluid from being pumped up to the cooler and you bake the tranny. Older cars back into the 60's could still be flat-towed and even push started because the design was different

----------------------------------------
As for me. 07 Sport A/T 80-95mph on the freeway 90% of the time. Best tank was 32mpg and worse around 23. Found that using Premium consistently bumps me up 2-3 mpg. Its a wash on $ but i can go longer on a tank So less fill-ups. Also, ARCO gas sucks in any grade and is always lower MPG. Shell and Chevron seem to be the best. Mobile and 76 are decent too.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I finally got over 250 miles on a tank of gas. My gas light came on at about 246, and I drove another 6.2 miles to the same gas station (Hess) I used last time, for a total of 252.2 miles. I then put in 9.46 gallons, for 26.6 MPG, my second highest so far!

While I did do about 10% highway driving, whereas I usually do none, I feel it was offset by the 2 miles I went in 40 minutes during construction on the Schuylkill Expressway. Why they call it an expressway is beyond me, its always backed up.

Since I did so well on this tank of gas, I made sure to get the same kind for a second test. I thought maybe I finally found gas without ethanol in my area, but I saw on the pump a label that said otherwise. Maybe my car is just finally breaking in.
Well, I was disappointed that the second tank of Hess gas only yielded 210.4 miles and I filled up with 9.055 gallons, for only 23.23 mpg. I guess the highway miles on the previous tank had more of an impact than I thought.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Reporting the latest results...have just over 13,000 miles. Recently knocked down 37.5 mpg. Hot summer driving w/ AC!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
kps
Originally Posted by ciburri
Guys, I was extremely disapointed in my mileage! It was at 24 mpg and I use ScangaugeII.
Could someone tell us the RPM and fuel consumption (in LPH, litres/hour, since gallons/hour is too coarse), when the car is warmed up, for: (a) standing still in Drive, in Neutral, and in Park, (b) with and without air conditioning? Air temperature would be good to know too.

Last edited by kps; 07-10-2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: GPH bad mmkay?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
Could someone tell us the RPM and fuel consumption (in LPH, litres/hour, since gallons/hour is too coarse), when the car is warmed up, for: (a) standing still in Drive, in Neutral, and in Park, (b) with and without air conditioning? Air temperature would be good to know too.
Ha, exactly what I wanted to know... I just can't bring myself to pay for the ScanGauge II yet though. But those are some of the first things I'd measure.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Another tank, another smile

319 miles - 25% highway 75-80 with the air on, 200 pound load in the car plus me; 25% highway 70 mph no air, stuck for 20 minutes stop and go, same load. 50% around town, some air some not, not driving it particularly easy.

Same gas pump, same .7 gal after it shuts off...

9.6 gal = 33.0 MPG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)