Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Tire pressure (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/12425-tire-pressure.html)

Coppatop85 04-21-2011 08:34 PM

I put mine up to 40, noticed a 3mpg difference in the tank than when they were at 32.

polaski 06-16-2011 09:06 PM

Pushing the 'rolla to 40 pounds has given a consistent 4 mpg gain. Fit got about the same.

People say it's such a hazard to run with higher pressures even when it's in the tire's spec... well try the ford pickup I learned to drive in. Door placard said 80 PSI. I kid you not. E-rated tires would ride like steel at that pressure so I set them at 55.

Yes I weighed that truck at the grain mill many times... with a full tank of fuel it just tipped 5500#. Shoot, the current tundra weighs more than that, and 'yota has 35psi max tires on it! Drove that ford for three years and never even needed a patch repair.

Now the fit, holy smokes two years ago I needed two puncture flats fixed in a month and I was at stock pressure at that time. Lesson is, car is heavy, nail is not, whether pressure low or high it'll find a way to make you cry.

soulfly 06-16-2011 09:26 PM

Nitrogen FTW

oaken 06-16-2011 10:04 PM

Oh I get it! Now let me see if I've got it straight. We all bought Honda Fits because we love the form and functionality. We love the looks and have fallen in love with Japanese engineering and reliability. So when my Honda manual for my 2011 Fit Sport says to inflate my tires at 33lbs all around I should just up and second guess the Honda engineers and go for 40lbs. And I should do that cause I might just get 2 or 3 mores miles per gallon even though I will be increasing tire wear by 30%.
Not to mention the rock hard ride...which is hard enough at 33lbs. I am running at 34 city...38 highway...good enough for me ...I am a happy camper with that. When I go through a speed hunger spell...I get 28.7...still good enough to have fun and be happy at the pump.

polaski 06-17-2011 10:39 PM

Well oaken, I have this to say in response.

Every engineering decision that went into the Fit (and every other car) is a tradeoff in some way. After all, why else would people benefit from aftermarket intakes (torque peak rpm and noise), exhausts (noise vs flow), turbo/superchargers (power vs cost reliability and mileage), coilovers (ride vs handling), stereos (cost vs features), rims (ride vs handling and tire cost), and so on and so forth. Everything chosen for the factory model is made to balance the characteristics of the car to best fit the market segment, and the Japanese are darn good at this art. However hypermilers are NOT a market segment. Not enough people to count (yet)!

As for increasing tire wear... meh. The rubber flexes less against the asphalt and wears less, especially on a car like the Fit where the tires are too wide for the weight and it tries to wear the outer edges no matter what you do. Pushing the pressure is a well-established way to extend tire life in the summer, as long as you don't go nuts and sacrifice your stopping capability. Don't do it in the winter though - 30 to 32 pounds is about the peak grip in snowy weather - and is part of the reason why they have to set it there as most people have no clue how the dynamics of a car are affected by pressure.

If you choose to set your tire pressure at any 'safe' pressure, good for you. You've found a pressure that fits your needs. I have a pressure that fits my needs and it may not match yours. Not right, or wrong, just fine-tuning the character of the car to fit my character.

Besides, can't forget the subtitle of this eco-fit discussion forum: "Threads discussing the pursuit of ultimate economy, hypermiling techniques & maximizing your MPG!"