General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Mgp not as good as I expected mainly.

I thought that with it being a Honda that my mpg would be much better than they actually are. I did purchase the car from an individual and I am still unsure of any modifications that they may have done to it prior to my purchase, but I'm avg about 23-24 mpg, about 50/50 city/highway. Just put new tires on it and did an oil change which improved mpg from avg 21, but still not great. Also, rear window is pretty small; blind spots are kinda odd to adjust to, but not impossible; and parts are more difficult to find than an avg car. Other than that, I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to learn more and make some modifications in the near future.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snowwhite22
I thought that with it being a Honda that my mpg would be much better than they actually are. I did purchase the car from an individual and I am still unsure of any modifications that they may have done to it prior to my purchase, but I'm avg about 23-24 mpg, about 50/50 city/highway. Just put new tires on it and did an oil change which improved mpg from avg 21, but still not great. Also, rear window is pretty small; blind spots are kinda odd to adjust to, but not impossible; and parts are more difficult to find than an avg car. Other than that, I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to learn more and make some modifications in the near future.
Wow, what model do you have? that seems exceptionally low. I drive in stop-go traffic here in lovely San Diego in my 2013 fit 5spd and I still avg 30mpg.

Check tire pressure, air filter.

Dont mean to assume, but are you heavy footed on the gas? I know it's not a fast car, but if you're flooring it/WOT every stop sign/red light that won't help much either (learned that when I was a new driver in my 96 accord..."it says it get 25mpg....but I'm only get 15?!" LOL)

The car has it quirks but its fantastic for what it is =)

Last edited by shinjari; 02-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I do have a bit of a lead foot, but that's usually bc I'm always running late (and I've been trying to work on that). Mine is a 2012 Sport (I'm super new to this whole car scene thing, so don't really know any other lingo....). I'm in Tampa which has quite a bit of stop and go, but it isn't the worst place to live. I do drive a LOT more than the avg person, so my mpg is killing me.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. Well, welcome to the forum. Hope you get your mpg's figured out.
WOT = Wide Open Throttle aka flooring it haha.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Having read others' posts -- I was reminded of two other things I'd love Honda to change. One is chipping paint on the front end -- Honda, of course, is notorious for barely using any clear coat at all on their paint --- just look for 15 year old Accords/Civics with the clear peeling off on the horizontal surfaces. I also dislike the blind spot that the FRONT pillar causes - really a challenge on sweeping left hand turns.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Road/wind noise...hands down the thing I hate most.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 PM
The rough ride and road noise.
The small lawn mower battery that's hard to find a good quality one that fits correctly.
The stock audio system. The useless fog lights. The weak A/C.

That said, Larger tires would be very nice, maybe an AWD option.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 PM
On our 2017 model the leg room on the passenger side is less than the driver side. On older models the passenger’s leg room is much better...plus the AC takes awhile to cool things down.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah.....why they couldn't do better on the A/C is beyond me.

I think it's some kind of computer setting that turns it off.......probably when the condenser gets too hot or something.......maybe if you can get into the programming it can be fixed/modified.......

One day I plan on getting the software and checking out that computer.......

z

Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pointofdeparture
Road/wind noise...hands down the thing I hate most.
That never bothers me........I keep the music on my USB Stick on all the time.......lol...........z

Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
The only thing I don't like about my Fit are people who don't understand the Fit and then buy it or drive it and then beat it up for things that it clearly is not.

If you're so obtuse my heart goes out to you. Life for you everyday must be a burning nightmare of staggering disappointments.

The Fit is a fantastic conveyance and it does it brilliantly.

Short example, I took someone to lunch last week in the Fit. They were positively staggered with all the features the car has for the price it costs.

He kept saying over and over, "How much did you pay for this?"

Yep, Honda still making the best damn cars.
I agree whole heartedly.........I like to say they call it a Fit cause everything 'fits'......lol.....I can put an 8 ft step ladder into it.....and 8' lumber is no problem either........and 8' plywood when cut into 12" strips.....lol..........z

Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder if Honda reads this thread........z

Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
I recently did a cross country road trip..... Palm Springs to Ft. Liquordale and back......what a joy that was...........z

Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
I dont like the feeling of the torsion bar suspension. Sure it allows for the cavernous cargo area...but comfort is lacking.

A-pillar is a huge blind spot for pedestrians.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
A-pillar is a huge blind spot for pedestrians.
Honestly I feel this way about most modern cars. The a-pillar has gotten thicker as safety standards have gotten tighter and most now have airbags.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jared592
Honestly I feel this way about most modern cars. The a-pillar has gotten thicker as safety standards have gotten tighter and most now have airbags.
mmmm while I agree about the thicker part, the LONG angle and tiny window and very forward position of the Fit A-pillar make it terrible. My new civic has thicker A-pillars but visibility up front is considerably better than the GE8 Fit. My issue was primarily with the driver side pillar.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slappy76
The CVT works pretty well but power on demand takes a little too long for my taste when I stomp on the peddle. The 6 Speed would be preferred. Surprisingly adequate power though.

While not horrible it's tends to be a little noisy on the highway. Which I was hoping to drown with the radio. But...

EX is a must for me. The passenger side blind spot isn't bad but I didn't have my convex mirror and I didn't do a head check and almost collided with the car next to me. (sorry dude! my fault) Lanewatch would have prevented that.
Hmm. While the CVT doesn't jolt me with a "kickdown" jolt like a planetary automatic, I'm finding the acceleration for passing or merging to be more than adequate. The engine reaches near-redline rapidly, and stays put at redline, while the CVT smoothly moves through pulley ratios, and it seems to me it is always staying in the sweet spot where it gets the most power to the wheels, and accelerates the car as quickly as possible. All I have to do is just leave my foot all the way down on the throttle pedal. When merging onto highway I am always seeing cars slow down to let me in, or moving over to the left to let me in - and doing so quite unnecessarily - apparently the drivers are thinking my little car won't be able to accelerate fast enough to get in without them doing that - but it can.

I agree the blind spot on the right is dangerous. However I think you should be able to get an aftermarket camera for the right sideview mirror at much less cost than the cost of going from an LX to an EX. Although most likely you won't find one that works with Honda's built-in screen, and you'd have to install a second screen - mounting it on the dash or air vent. Kits with camera and screen, and wireless connectivity between the 2, are about $100 US - cameras with better definition than Honda's camera are probably available at around this price.

I agree the car has too much road noise and wind noise. Door sealing seems to be good but I hear wind noises around the edge of the windshield. I am not sure there is much that can be done about the noise by adding more insulation. It sounds to me like I am hearing wind hitting the windshield, and swirling around around the edges, and I think perhaps the tire noise may be being transmitted from the tires to the suspension to the body to the interior space, rather than coming in through the body's side panels, from the air outside the car. Also, although the CVT is quiet when the car is cruising on a level surface, it makes a holy racket when the car is accelerating.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-19-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Don't like the small fuel tank.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
I don't like how slowly I have to put the last gallon of gas in.

Road noise.

How hard the seats feel after 8 hours of driving.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
How I turned that Vivid Blue bastard into a money pit... But dang is it fun to drive now.

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit