General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
The disc brakes don't need to be adjusted the ways drums do, and they are more effective at stopping, which is something that can save you from an accident on LA freeways when people suddenly panic stop with all the have right in front of you at 80 mph.

The main reason people don't touch drum brakes for 200K miles is because most people never adjust the drums so the brakes don't do any braking.
Drum brakes have been auto-adjusting for some time (the late 50s). You'll know if there's an issue with the auto-adjustment by symptoms such as a parking brake that doesn't seem to do anything, crazy pedal travel, or pulling to one side during stops- it'd be hard to miss.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
The rear drums are self adjusting these days & have been for quite a while. If that adjuster did not work you'd know it. Am I the only old guy around here that remembers 4 wheel drum brakes that had to be adjusted? I still have the tool I used to do it with.
Had them on my 1968 air-cooled Beetle (which I owned from 1968-1982 at which point it had about 250,000 miles on it, and I had done 2 complete engine rebuilds) and on my 1966 air-cooled VW bus. Got rid of the beetle only because the floor pan under the passenger seat was so badly rusted that it flapped like a wing when the car went over a bump.

I didn't have a special tool to adjust the brakes - a screwdriver worked fine.

Last edited by nomenclator; 10-30-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my '15 EX 6-speed for about 8 months now. It took me over 6-months to find a good low milage one. I'm a manual transmission only guy, I've never owned any sort of automatic as a daily driver. Every time I'd find a low milage used Fit it would be a CVT. Finally a white one showed up as a CPO on the lot at my local Honda dealer and I snapped it up.

Overall I love the little car. It's a blast to drive and much sportier than I thought it would be. Even with my "spirited" driving habits, I get excellent mileage.

I do have a few things that I don't love.

1. The color. Mine is white. I'd prefer pretty much any other color (except black). Not a big deal.

2. The cupholder situation.....I'm used to it now, but let's face it. They suck.

3. Not a fan of the all-touchscreen radio. I'm used to it now, but I'd rather have at least a volume knob.

4. The radio/display/infotainment system whatever you want to call it seems to be pretty slow to "boot" when you start the car. My wife's '15 FOrd Edge has a much more complicated and full featured system, but it is a lot quicker to boot.

5. The front seats. They aren't horrible, but on longer drives they can be somewhat uncomfortable. Does anyone know if there are better options out there? I'm wondering if the seats from a different Honda would be an easy swap. Anyone know?

Overall I'm really happy with this little car.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=MikeDD969;1384898 I'm wondering if the seats from a different Honda would be an easy swap. Anyone know?
[/QUOTE]

You may want to inquire about whether there is an airbag module underneath the seats. I've also heard that there are side airbags in the seats. You don't want to disrupt the factory balance system of sensors, wires and airbags by taking the seats out if they are part of the system.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Three things come to mind.
The A-pillar blocks the view to front left.
The long length of the windshield makes it hard to find a sun shield that fits. Had to buy a custom-sized one that does not fold up quickly or easily.
For the first 2 years I owned it, I was annoyed when the turn signals seemingly got into a mode where they would not shut off -- until I finally realized if I waited for 3 blinks then it will shut off.

But overall I really like my Fit. First car I've had with a backup camera, which is great.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Redbelly98 " Had to buy a custom-sized one [sunshield] that does not fold up quickly or easily."

I found a custom one that rolls up (as opposed to folds), and includes coverage of the sidelights ahead of the door windows. Has attached straps with velcro to keep it rolled up.

About 2.5 years ago. I got it at amazon. It was $39 US including shipping. My invoice from them links to
this sunshield this sunshield
, however it looks different than mine. I remember the advert for the one I bought included info about sidelight coverage; the advert for the linked sunshield makes no mention of sidelight coverage.

Mine works, but I ended up hardly ever using it. Instead I open the drivers door, then flap the passenger door open and closed repeatedly, using it like a fan to fan air through the front seats. Seems to help. I also put a drop of oil in the door hinges every maybe once every year or 2.

Last edited by nomenclator; 11-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by nomenclator
I found a custom one that rolls up (as opposed to folds), and includes coverage of the sidelights ahead of the door windows. Has attached straps with velcro to keep it rolled up.
Yup, the roll-up kind is what I got too. But rolled-up is bulkier than fold-up, and it takes longer to roll than it does to fold the fold-up kind. On top of that, I found that I had to roll it pretty tightly in order for the velcro to fit all the way around it -- so I ended up adding an 8" (or so) extension to the velcro that came with the shield.

I save a little time by folding it in half first, so at least then there is half as much rolling I have to do.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 AM
I use a Jumbo size of the two spring-loaded circles sunshade. I run the pieces vertically instead of horizontally and it covers everything.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 AM
tk1
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Post up the things that you don't like about your Fit. Thanks!

Ryan
Hello all. Things I don't like about my 15 - Fit -
1. The battery capacity is to small. If the security system goes off when there is high wind it sometimes sets it off. It will drain the battery., This has happened to me . I recently purchased a schumaker battery starter pack to try and prevent this issue. But Honda has a poor design here.,
2. The front windshield visors are to small and useless when you use them on the left and right side doors of the car.
3. . Ride is not as quiet as it should be. Maybe undercoat or floor insulation is needed. I had mine undercoated because it was noisy.
4. The rear door access.bumper There should be a rubber mat there factory standard.to prevent scrapes when loading and unloading groceries or boxed materials. Instead they expect you I suppose to purchase it yourself. The same way with the rear cargo lid.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tk1
Ride is not as quiet as it should be. Maybe undercoat or floor insulation is needed. I had mine undercoated because it was noisy.
Did this make any difference? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 PM
My white ‘17 MT EX checks many boxes for me. There are things I don’t need, like Lane Watch, but I respect Honda for the thought put into the feature. It’s useful for keeping an eye on the bike lane. The amount of tech in modern cars bothers me. I’m glad Fit, thru 2017, keeps it to a minimum. Ride noise & comfort is great, for me, as my last car was a Fiat 500 Abarth and I’m a driver who wants to feel somewhat connected to the road as well as the car. Honda has historically done a good job of achieving control + compliance balance... Fit keeps that tradition. That stated: I’d like another inch off the factory stance or at least Mugen 17s as an option. That’s just as aesthetic preference though... nothing against the engineers and designers. A little more torque would be an engineering preference... 130hp for this car is plenty, the torque a smidge lower than it could be though. One thing I don’t dig on any car is fake honeycomb venting (I know, it’s a fad most of the industry is bent on) — although adding it to the rear is a nice balance touch for the front fog lights — and reflectors in lieu of functional lights (Again, Honda isn’t the only guilty manufacturer). Reading this back I can see I chose the right car. It’s very utilitarian with some fun factor and I really dig the GK gen styling.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Amabento
My white ‘17 MT EX checks many boxes for me. There are things I don’t need, like Lane Watch, but I respect Honda for the thought put into the feature. It’s useful for keeping an eye on the bike lane. The amount of tech in modern cars bothers me. I’m glad Fit, thru 2017, keeps it to a minimum. Ride noise & comfort is great, for me, as my last car was a Fiat 500 Abarth and I’m a driver who wants to feel somewhat connected to the road as well as the car. Honda has historically done a good job of achieving control + compliance balance... Fit keeps that tradition. That stated: I’d like another inch off the factory stance or at least Mugen 17s as an option. That’s just as aesthetic preference though... nothing against the engineers and designers. A little more torque would be an engineering preference... 130hp for this car is plenty, the torque a smidge lower than it could be though. One thing I don’t dig on any car is fake honeycomb venting (I know, it’s a fad most of the industry is bent on) — although adding it to the rear is a nice balance touch for the front fog lights — and reflectors in lieu of functional lights (Again, Honda isn’t the only guilty manufacturer). Reading this back I can see I chose the right car. It’s very utilitarian with some fun factor and I really dig the GK gen styling.
Why did you get rid of your Abarth?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
Why did you get rid of your Abarth?
‘Bought her new in 2013... ‘had lotsa fun. The local post-purchase support is a nightmare. I found poor service difficult to stomach when the car depreciates faster than every other car in the segment. FCAUSA is clueless when it comes to taking care of those putting in the work I was for the brand (I was the Fiat equivalent of Hondapro Jason). I would love another one some day... the A500 is one of the last of a dying breed... but not while living in Wisconsin. I decided returning to Honda, via Fit, was best for me. I made the right decision.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think the abarth would be a great 3rd or 4th car. something you can set aside if it starts having problems. i read somewhere that the reliability dramatically improved after the '13 or '14 or something on those cars. is that true? and they said to buy a lightly used one since they depreciate so fast. but then again who cares if youre going to keep it for a while and it's a toy, right? id just buy new and keep it for a while. probably will become a collector's car down the road.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 PM
I’ve been saying that about the Abarth for some time. No other automaker is making a car as raw. The value is and now but will pay off in over time to those able to tuck one away.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Things I don't like

* The front seats do not allow anything to be under them, so hooking on a dog seat cover doesn't work or even having your left foot resting under the seat doesn't work.

* The ground clearance is terrible and normal height curbs scrape the paint off the bottom of the bumper.

* The triangular window in front of the driver/passenger windows has a frame that blocks the view if you have the car angled for a turn on country roads or across a highway's median. I had a severe accident because of this. I have since changed how I stop for a turn and no longer angle the car

Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KMJohnson
* The front seats do not allow anything to be under them, so hooking on a dog seat cover doesn't work or even having your left foot resting under the seat doesn't work.

* The ground clearance is terrible and normal height curbs scrape the paint off the bottom of the bumper.

* The triangular window in front of the driver/passenger windows has a frame that blocks the view if you have the car angled for a turn on country roads or across a highway's median. I had a severe accident because of this. I have since changed how I stop for a turn and no longer angle the car
Dogs go in the back. Only contortionists put foot under the seat. Why drive over curbs?

Window, hmm maybe as you say check before you turn. Have had mine for almost 9 years and no accidents. No scraping under the bumper and I am lowered.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
latest hate = cracking paint..

Old 02-19-2018, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KMJohnson
Learn where the corners of your car are? Seems like a you problem, not a car problem.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM
It is low enough that it scrapes on some curbs or parking stop blocks.
It's also small enough you can stay back from the curb and not have to scrape.

I have a problem with the LONG nose, more than the height. My work parking lot has a dip at the entrance/exit and if I'm not careful I will scrape, with stock suspension.

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit