General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting a Sport 5AT?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
At/mt

[quote=Mead;131740][quote=RedAndy;131712]b) I wish it had one more gear for long distance crusing - above about 80 mph (~3900 rpm) it starts gettig buzzy.....
</p>

hmmm so 3900 rpm at 80 mph... doesn that go for 5AT also?

I do 650 mile interstate trips every now and then
No, the gearing in the automatic trans is somewhat taller. Most people seem to observe 3900-4000 RPM at 80 MPH in the manual.
Automatic at 80 MPH shows 3000 RPM in my car. At 90 MPH it's around 4000 RPM and really feels like it's in its "sweet zone". My AT makes me wish for higher speed limits. This car seems happier at 90 than it does at 70.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM
[quote=Steeldog;141719][quote=Mead;131740]
Originally Posted by RedAndy
b) I wish it had one more gear for long distance crusing - above about 80 mph (~3900 rpm) it starts gettig buzzy.....

No, the gearing in the automatic trans is somewhat taller. Most people seem to observe 3900-4000 RPM at 80 MPH in the manual.
Automatic at 80 MPH shows 3000 RPM in my car. At 90 MPH it's around 4000 RPM and really feels like it's in its "sweet zone". My AT makes me wish for higher speed limits. This car seems happier at 90 than it does at 70.
My car on the high way just moves. I agree around 4k is the "sweet zone". Which is when the VTEC is working. When your in S mode and you rev her out, she moves well. I love this car but the paddle shifters make it that much more fun. Would of loved to get a manual but couldn't wait 5 months. But, the paddles make up for that. I don't regret getting an auto at all. Now Im just waiting to get the JR supercharger. I think with the charger and the paddles its gona take this car to a whole new level!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
If you're closing in on the car in front of you, or coming up to a turn and need to slow down, is it better to tap the brakes, or to downshift? If its going to cause wear somewhere, I think I'd rather wear out my brakepads than the transmission or engine.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I've noticed that when I'm in S mode, in first gear I'll get up to about 7 mph, and then the car stops accelerating. The RPMs go up, but the speed doesn't. The same thing happens in 2nd gear, to about 20mph. I haven't noticed it in any other gears. Is this normal?
This definitely doesn't sound normal. If the rpm's are going up but the car isn't going any faster it sounds like the tranny is slipping. 1st gear should easily get you past 20 mph, 2nd gear should get you past 35. I don't remember axactly the speed when I shift but that isn't normal. I would take it to the dealrer and have them check it.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Kenper
This definitely doesn't sound normal. If the rpm's are going up but the car isn't going any faster it sounds like the tranny is slipping. 1st gear should easily get you past 20 mph, 2nd gear should get you past 35. I don't remember axactly the speed when I shift but that isn't normal. I would take it to the dealrer and have them check it.

I was wrong about the speeds, its 17 for first and 25 for second. Could this slipping be related to my low mileage of 24 mpg, 100% city?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I was wrong about the speeds, its 17 for first and 25 for second. Could this slipping be related to my low mileage of 24 mpg, 100% city?
I've been hearing some pretty lousy gas mileage in the city without slipping.
If your tranny is slipping it will definitely affect your mileage. It will also fry your tranny in a very short time. If you reach a speed where the car doesn't increase it's speed but the engine goes faster and faster then you have some slippage which translates into friction and heat. Definitely have a service shop test drive it to be sure.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
It does continue to accelerate, but slowly. Should it accelerate at the same rate throughout the whole range of rpms? Mine certainly doesn't. I will have it looked at if that's the case.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, I made an appointment with a dealership to have this looked at. I'll have to leave it there for at least a day, but the guy told me that they can get me a loaner car for free. Is this something all dealerships do? This isn't the dealership I bought my Fit at.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Should it accelerate at the same rate throughout the whole range of rpms? Mine certainly doesn't. I will have it looked at if that's the case.
There are numerous variables that can affect the answer to that question. Under what conditions are you driving when this happens? Generally, no, it will not accelerate at the same rate throughout the RPM range...this is a function of torque & hp. Although the gear multiplication of a manual trans and differential is practically linear, the torque converter of an AT trans is not, nor is the power band of the engine. The lockup converter function adds to the complexity. Are you sure you're not just experienced the engage/disengage feel of the torque converter?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
There are numerous variables that can affect the answer to that question. Under what conditions are you driving when this happens? Generally, no, it will not accelerate at the same rate throughout the RPM range...this is a function of torque & hp. Although the gear multiplication of a manual trans and differential is practically linear, the torque converter of an AT trans is not, nor is the power band of the engine. The lockup converter function adds to the complexity. Are you sure you're not just experienced the engage/disengage feel of the torque converter?
Maybe I am, but I wouldn't know what what feels like. All I know is that in first gear, once I hit about 20 mph, at 3000-35000 rpms, I accelerate very slowly, if at all, even on level ground; and in second gear, once I hit about 30 mph, also at 3000-35000 rpms, I accelerate very slowly.

I am using Sport mode with the paddle shifters, so I am not feeling anything related to it shifting automatically: it is holding the gear I have selected.

Last edited by LizardKing; 05-22-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe I am, but I wouldn't know what what feels like. All I know is that in first gear, once I hit about 20 mph, at 3000-35000 rpms, I accelerate very slowly, if at all, even on level ground; and in second gear, once I hit about 30 mph, also at 3000-35000 rpms, I accelerate very slowly.

I am using Sport mode with the paddle shifters, so I am not feeling anything related to it shifting automatically: it is holding the gear I have selected.
I had a friend, who knows more about cars than I do, drive my car. He said its fine.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Good to know somethings isn't wrong.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I had a friend, who knows more about cars than I do, drive my car. He said its fine.
Yeah man. You car is fine. 1st gear will rev to redline (which I don't suggest you do a lot) but it is limited on making the car go because of the ratio of the gear. Which it is made to produce more torque to get the car moving. When I drive from a dead stop I usually shift from 1st to 2nd at around 3500-4000 rpm unless I'm really driving her then redline's the limit. I pretty much treat the car as if it were a manual trans. But, I am very careful when I down shift. If you use good judgement and the brakes you can figure out the point on the tach in which it down shifts the smoothest. Ive been using sport shifting since day 1 and I have 9200 miles on her. So far I love the trans in this car. Once you get used to it you can have lots of fun. Plus it shifts so quickly. I'm a subaru tech and I think that the 5 speed auto sport trans in the fit shifts better than the 5 speed auto sport trans in the Legacy GT. The Legacy has a slight delay were the fit is instantanious. Now this is saying a lot considering the difference in the prices of the two cars is about $15,000! Thats impressive. The trickiest thing about the sport shifters is shifting while your turning. Once you get that down packed your good to go!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hondady
Yeah man. You car is fine. 1st gear will rev to redline (which I don't suggest you do a lot) but it is limited on making the car go because of the ratio of the gear. Which it is made to produce more torque to get the car moving. When I drive from a dead stop I usually shift from 1st to 2nd at around 3500-4000 rpm unless I'm really driving her then redline's the limit. I pretty much treat the car as if it were a manual trans. But, I am very careful when I down shift. If you use good judgement and the brakes you can figure out the point on the tach in which it down shifts the smoothest. Ive been using sport shifting since day 1 and I have 9200 miles on her. So far I love the trans in this car. Once you get used to it you can have lots of fun. Plus it shifts so quickly. I'm a subaru tech and I think that the 5 speed auto sport trans in the fit shifts better than the 5 speed auto sport trans in the Legacy GT. The Legacy has a slight delay were the fit is instantanious. Now this is saying a lot considering the difference in the prices of the two cars is about $15,000! Thats impressive. The trickiest thing about the sport shifters is shifting while your turning. Once you get that down packed your good to go!
I see no point in redlining it, as it doesn't make the car go any faster, wastes gas, and makes me feel like I'm straining the engine.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
New Owner ? about tranny

Ok - Fit Freaks - I have a question. Just got my Fit Sport A/T over a week ago. I've never owned a Honda before just Ford or Chevy kind of girl. I have noticed when I put the car in reverse there is no backward pull like I would normally get with Ford. When you shift to R it was a definite roll back. The Fit I just hold down the brake and put in R and it is ready to roll with no clank! Is this normal? Hope this is not a stupid question but I am used to the definite backward motion when in R. Also is it normal when you pull out and are in Drive - you don't give it any gas but it seems to not move forward as fast as my other vehicles who were all 4 cy. motors. It is moving but just not fast until I give it gas - Just thought I would throw out the question to make sure this is normal and nothing I need to check into. I've checked all my fluid levels just to make sure everything is in good shape and all is fine with that. It is running like a top otherwise - loving it! and enjoying the fun factor!

Thanks,
Cat :X

Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Its an import. Imports drive differently from american cars. I have a M/T, but I can tell you that my dad's old Taurus (besides driving like a turd) had a much less fluid transmission than his CRV. The Taurus would take off at a good 10 MPH or so when you let go of the brake, while the CRV just gently drifts forward. The CRV shifts smoother than the Taurus ever did, too. I'm pretty sure its normal, its just a different type of car with a different type of driving experience.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Steeldog, it sounds like your car must be downshifting to run at 90. If 80 mph equals 3000 rpm, then 90 mph should be less than 3400 rpm. Perhaps the AT Fit can't pull 90 mph in 5th. I don't know, I haven't taken mine past 80mph, I'm over 3000 miles now, maybe I should give it a try...

Eric

Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ewdysar
Steeldog, it sounds like your car must be downshifting to run at 90. If 80 mph equals 3000 rpm, then 90 mph should be less than 3400 rpm. Perhaps the AT Fit can't pull 90 mph in 5th. I don't know, I haven't taken mine past 80mph, I'm over 3000 miles now, maybe I should give it a try...

Eric
Mine runs 90 mph in 5th, on level ground, without any issues.

It will, however, get there a lot quicker in a lower gear. I believe that in manual mode, it will hold 3rd gear past 90 mph. I wish I could remember, I ran it one time to find out where the fuel cut-off was at, and it seems that it was around 93 mph?

Interesting note - I discovered an interesting ressonance with my car at 114 mph one time, in 4th gear. I don't know the source at this time. I might have to conduct further testing (next time I can get to the track) - LOL!!

Last edited by wyy183; 05-25-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
Mine runs 90 mph in 5th, on level ground, without any issues.
wyy183, I would figure as much. My post was more about how if 3000 prm = 80 mph, then 4000 rpm = 106 mph. I was trying to give steeldog an out on his post. I would be very surprised to find out that a Fit had too much resistance or too little power to pull 90 mph in 5th gear.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
Interesting note - I discovered an interesting ressonance with my car at 114 mph one time, in 4th gear. I don't know the source at this time. I might have to conduct further testing (next time I can get to the track) - LOL!!
wyy183, do you really track your Fit? How did the car feel at 114? My Porsche gets light and touchy around there. Going straight isn't any big deal, but hard cornering in triple digits really raises the pucker factor. I understand that on a 914, a wing or spoiler with enough effect to matter adds a lot of drag the rest of the time, I don't have much info on the high speed aerodynamics of a Fit.

Eric

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting a Sport 5AT?