Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Camping in a Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/13753-camping-fit.html)

FotoFit 05-16-2007 04:00 PM

Camping in a Fit

Not sure if there are any regular campers on here, but if there are, you have to check out the Dome-To-Go tent by Napier (website). I spent last weekend out in the Rockies with this thing attached to my Fit, it was amazing.

If you've got two people, the tent is huge and all of your gear can simply be tossed up in to the hatch. If you've got three or four people, there's plenty of room for two people in the tent and two people in the Fit (long mode on both sides, some bags or equipment to even out the lump of the seat backs). This is the tallest dome tent that I've ever been in, and for, someone who suffers from claustrophobia, the expansive space of the fit attached to the tent makes it absolutely pleasant. You've got a convenient sitting area, and a nice raised and hard bottomed location to place things like tent heaters and food containers (not bear country) which you don't want to knock over in the tent.

All that to say, if you are a tent camper, consider one of these for your next trip out. I haven't enjoyed a weekend this much in years (all of the fun without any of the usual awkward tent living).

Endless 05-16-2007 05:03 PM

That's pretty cool. I love camping, I may need to pick one of these up.

End-i 05-17-2007 12:25 PM

What about the cargo light? It will probably stay on all the time since the hatch is open...

FITTUCINI 05-17-2007 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by End-i (Post 141191)
What about the cargo light? It will probably stay on all the time since the hatch is open...

try pullin the fuse or the bulb it self i guess... and use a mag light i guess in stead of kiiling the batt

koolkevin1107 05-17-2007 01:08 PM

just close the latch on the hatch manually so that way the hatch thinks its closed so the light turns off. i do that all the time. just remember 2 unlatch it (pull the handle) before u close it or when u try closeing it, it'll bounce back and make a god awful noise.

Etrsi_645 08-27-2007 11:58 AM

how quick is the assembly on that tent? less than 10 minutes?

thanks

FotoFit 08-27-2007 12:42 PM

Assembly time is not much longer than that of a normal tent. You'll generally need two people as the tent poles can be unwieldly (as with any tent), but it is a quick process (5-10 minutes max).

Add on some time for hammering tent-pegs and strapping the tent-hood to your car, but those are both things which can be ignored for a bit if you're in a rush to get the tent set up (ie. downpour). In terms of attaching it to the car, it is as simple as stretching the hood over the top of the hatch and under the bumper. There are straps to hook to the wheel wells, and across the top down to under the hood of your car, but these are not absolutely crucial and could be ignored during a hurried setup (ie. downpour).

Other purchases I've made for my tent include:
- Nice big tarp (tent doesn't come with a fly, it is still fairly waterproof but I like the extra cover)
- 2 extending poles (for holding up the tarp to create a nice entrance)
- New tent pegs (the included ones are not very good in loose Albertan soil)

All told though, the tent performs wonderfully and those extra purchases were very affordable. I would definitely vouch for this tent as an excellent purchase.

FotoFit 08-27-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by End-i (Post 141191)

A knife or screw-driver can easily (and without any damage) pop out the hatch light cover. The bulb is connected with a simple plug, very easy to disconnect.

inmytree 03-24-2008 09:42 AM

FYI, Costco has this for $130, including shipping. I just picked on up...

yeamans17 03-24-2008 09:57 AM

That would be a cool meet idea for an area where camping is close by

john trials 03-24-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by FotoFit (Post 169302)
A knife or screw-driver can easily (and without any damage) pop out the hatch light cover. The bulb is connected with a simple plug, very easy to disconnect.

I removed the hatch light assembly, cut a hole in the lens, installed a small, low-profile rocker switch, and wired it in series with the bulb. Now I have an on/off switch on my hatch light.

azncarbos 03-24-2008 12:54 PM

nice find....but I stick w/ my old way sleeping w/ no tent or use my simply backpacking tent....

BrianT 03-24-2008 02:11 PM

That is really cool. I wish i went camping enough to acutally justify it.

bosshogg 03-24-2008 08:21 PM

You better hope no one steals your car while you are sleeping, i think the out come would be pretty comical,:)

henryd1981 03-24-2008 11:17 PM

If you folded the rear seats down, somebody could probably sleep up there.

Halcyon 03-24-2008 11:52 PM

ive slept in the back of my car with the seats flat, boy oh boy my back was dead lol but at least i didn't have to hear my friend's endless snoring.

jtsimaras 03-24-2008 11:55 PM

I think if one brought along a foamy it would be just fine. :wavey: It would make a half decent shag-wag

henryd1981 03-25-2008 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jtsimaras (Post 265289)
I think if one brought along a foamy it would be just fine. :wavey: It would make a half decent shag-wag

Yeah, you just gotta bring something to make the back more comfortable. A little padding can go a long ways.

jtsimaras 03-25-2008 12:16 AM

You wanna know what is uncomfortable sleeping in a regular cab of a ford ranger because of too many bears.---Being there done it----won't try again. :rolleyes:

F0NIX 03-25-2008 02:08 AM

That was a nice find. I have to try to get hold of one of those.

Normaly I do it this way:
http://gallery.irctos.org/d/29176-2/2007-07-17_0001.jpg
I know the car is dirty, but I have been driving 3000km in mostly rain and some driving on old dirt and gravel roads.

But I have also tried this:
http://gallery.irctos.org/d/30196-2/2007-07-30_0001.JPG
It worked, but there is not much space to move around.