General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My first realy long trip with my car

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
My first realy long trip with my car

This summer I desided to visit my sister.
The only problem is that she lives in Frankfurt in Germany and I live in Tromsų in Norway. That is a little over 3000km away....

I desided to drive first through northen Finnland, then E4 from north to south of Sweden and then a small trip trough Denmark befor I got into Germany. Well, I had summer vacation and made the trip a little more intresting with some stop along the way. I got a few stop with some Geocaching in Sweden. And I got to test my car at the famous "Autobahn" in Germany. There they have 3 way motorway in each direction. Most of the Autobahn has no speed limit on them
That's was nice, but because of lot of traffic in the summer with many tourists on the roads thar was a lot of cue ("viele stau" in German).

So in Finnland the roads is narrow like here in Norway, but there was a speedlimit at 100km/t most of the road (80km/t speedlimit in Norway) and the road is so bad that you can't drive much faster.

In Sweeden there is mostly 110km/t speedlimit on the E4 from north to south but you can easy drive 120-130km/t with no problem (other than the police ) and the road standard is realy good.

In Denmark the speedlimit on the motorway is 130km/t and the road standard is the same good standard as in Sweeden.

Then we have Germany. Actually I was a little disapointed over the road standard on the famous "Autobahn". I had got the impression that it was the best road in the Europe. Well the the road was wide and not many turns and hills. But the surface is concrete and in Scandinavia we use asphalt that is much more quiet and more comfortable to drive on.

I got my nice little Jazz 1.4LS CVT up to 172km/t on the flat roads (no hills, no winds) and that seemed like max. But on a long downhill stretch I got the car up to about 184km/t and then I had to brake down to 140km/t because of some cars in front that was driving "slowly" .
Never got to redline... At 172km/t it was staying at around 5000rpm.
The car felt realy stable and quiet even at those high speed. Ofcourse I could hear the engine revving like crazy
But it was not a particulary high noise.

On the trip I also got to test a few other things:
A/C was realy good to have in Germany; it was hot outside, around 25-30°C and the sun was shining. Inside the car the temperature was lovely 19°C as I like it
Bringing the bike with me, and stored it inside the car. Unfortunaly my old bike was stolen just a few weeks before the trip and I had to buy a new one. The old one I could fit inside without taking of the front wheel. But the new one was just a few cm to high, so the front wheel had to be taken of to be able to have the bike in uppward possition.

I had a tent and sleeping bag with me so I camped most of the time outside.
But I also testet to but both back seats down. Shift drivers seat as far forward as possible and then lay down a air mattress in the back and sleep there. I had all luggage inside the car all the time too

I used a little over 5 days on my way down. We was also a small trip to Legoland in Germany. A 3hour trip along the autobahn (about 430km each direction). On my way back home I dropped in a 5-6 hours in Legoland Billund in Denmark and then went straight back home. And used 4 days on the trip back home. The longest trip was through Sweden. I drove 1340km in one day.
Total I has gone 6600km this summer with my Jazz.

Conclusion:
The Jazz is a fabulous car to drive in.
The CVT system works like a dream.
The Jazz is quiet and very comfortable to drive both short trips but also long trips like mine.
The Jazz has a lot of cargospace and you can easy fit everything you need for a long trip on the road or to just go to the grocary.

The only thing I missed was a good navigation system. But I had a setup with my Garmin GPSMAP60SCx and a laptop running all the time in the passanger seat since I was driving alone. I'm planning on a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in the future.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
That story was very enjoyable to read and the autobann, wow, someday i will share that pleasure in a rented car hehe. I drove 8hrs a couple weeks ago and i really felt lower back pain because our usdm's don't seem to have any form of lumber support. Just wondering if your seats are different/better. Are your climate controls digital so you can set inside temps to what you actually want? The old school knobs on ours are pretty lame but what can i say. Anyways, not to get off track, thanks for your trip update.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, the European Jazz has electronic AC as seen on this photo:
2007-02-04_0013.JPG

I will add some photos from my trip soon.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree navigation would be nice, instead of the wife saying, "turn here".

Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Well, the navigation system I had set up with my Garmin GPSMAP 60SCx and the Laptop running a Garmin nRoute system does have a voice information system. But I want a integrated system, instead of this cluttering my passenger seat...

But anyway, here are som photos from the trip:
(All 322 photos can be seen on this site. Comment on Norwegian only for now)

My GPS setup (plus the laptop on the passenger seat):

A quick stop at the polar circle to eat some food:
(here you can see the new tint on the rear windows)

First camp at the river in Kalix in Sweden:

Not easy to see but the front wheels is getting realy dirty from the brake dust.

The rear end of the car with the "FitFreak.net" sticker on:

The car is realy dirty after some driving on gravel roads on my Geocaching hunt:

This how I had stuff all lugage in the car:

Car and bike:

Typical german highway (Autobahn) with free speedlimit:
I was driving at 145km/t steady most of the time.

Then shiny again after a quick stop at a carwash automat:

I also tried camping in the back of the car:

This worked fine, and I had all the lugage put in the front passenger seat.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Some very nice photos there, including the rare find of a Type III VW Ghia.

The model railway appears to be neglected due to the Lego now?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
very nice story..

automatic climate control...wow...

i am so jealous