General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Best Driving Practices To Increase Your Fit’s MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Masterdebater
using a higher octane is much better for ur engine too. i felt a BIG difference switching from 87 to 91. from dead empty, it took me 28$ to fill up with premium. it may be different for other ppl tho. money isnt an issue for me so i prefer higher octane to take care of the engine and it is only a few bucks more.
No it isn't. The only difference is the amount of fuel injector detergents. Buy the 87 octane, and just throw some additives in.

In fact, 91 octane is worse from an economy and performance standpoint: 91 octane doesn't have the same energy content of 87.

I used to run 91 octane on a souped up Harley Sportster (Buell Pistons and White Lightning heads, etc). Ran pretty nice. Then I put in 87 one day because I was cheap and the bike ran MUCH better.

High octane is only good if you have high compression and/or forced induction. Otherwise, save your money.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
like i said, money isnt a problem for me as it might be with others. the couple bucks for the higher octane each fillup is much worth it to me. i NEVER run low octane gas in any of my cars wether it was the silvia or my fit or beamer. they all get 91 because its cleaner and better for the engine. i dunno about u guys but i dont like shit in my gasoline . read any car owner manual and it will say to run on 87 89 91 etc but they say running the lower octane gas causes engine damage more than a cleaner burning high octane. but to some of u it may not be worth it or unneeded but as with man things, it comes down to personal preferrance

Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
like i said, money isnt a problem for me as it might be with others. the couple bucks for the higher octane each fillup is much worth it to me. i NEVER run low octane gas in any of my cars wether it was the silvia or my fit or beamer. they all get 91 because its cleaner and better for the engine. i dunno about u guys but i dont like shit in my gasoline . read any car owner manual and it will say to run on 87 89 91 etc but they say running the lower octane gas causes engine damage more than a cleaner burning high octane. but to some of u it may not be worth it or unneeded but as with man things, it comes down to personal preferrance
I have NEVER seen a car manual say that running low octane will cause engine damage, absent a SPECIFIC octane requirement. Whatever the octane requirement is, run that and no more. The ONLY difference between 91 and 87 is that 91 is harder to detonate (only makes a difference if you're at a high compression ratio, which you are not), and extra fuel injector detergents.

Anything else is a bunch of bull.

If your manual says to run 87, then run 87. Who knows more: Honda or you? I'm going with Honda, as they have to warranty the car.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Whoohooo, 8% increase!

I finally got the hang of using the cruise control effectively. Filling up my gas tank with 4 gallons at the half way mark, I've decided to do a little test. Usually I would get 120 miles when the gauge hits the half way mark. But this time I got 130 using cruise control, and this is how the test was done on the Sport AT paddle shifters:

1. Accelerate lightly without cruise control to the desire speed.
2. Use paddle shifters to get to desire speed and click up at 5th gear, click on the "Set" and cruise at that speed.
3. When you see traffic up ahead or driver slowing down press "Cancel" and don't close in on the car in front too fast.
4. When you want to speed up again, use the paddle shifters again then cruise control.

Other information:
This test was done on mostly straight grounds. I was cruising at 45 MPH @ 1700 RPM, which was harder to do with just paddle shifters at 5th gear. Holding 65 MPH @ 2500 RPM is pretty nice because I usually drop to 60 MPH once in awhile because throttle response is slower on 5th gear. I should get a bumber sticker that says "You can change lanes, you know..." for any guy trying to draft behind me... lol

Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I am sorry my friend but you have been brainwashed by big oil. Not your fault, but listen to your peers and run 87.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
I just finished off a full tank of gas since installing my Injen short ram intake. The results are with great outcome! I've increased my average MPG or MPD (Miles Per Dollar) from 34 to 37. All with combination of city and hwy driving. Driving style are low RPM gear shifting and acceleration. Hwy speed of 70 MPH or less. I'm now testing the current tank of gas for what I call "Fun and Zippy" style, not "Fast and the Furious" style. I'll give the results at the end of this weekend and maybe on Monday when I need to fill again.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
7.in hot weather, open the windows in the city and just air things out. but on freeway, running the ac uses less gas than having open window drag at higher speeds
I'm sorry but I still don't buy this one. Your talking about some drag and wind coming in through your windows versus running another unit on your fuel. Put the A/C on and do 80mph in the summer, you can literally almost see the gas gauge falling.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 AM
response in blueVVV and black below quote

Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
First, it's annoying how people refer to it as 'MPG'. "what MPG do you get?" "how can I increase my MPG"
I am sorry to hear that, many seem to do just fine with it.

MPG is a quantification of ECONOMY. You'd correctly say "What's your fuel efficiency like?" or "How do I increase my fuel efficiency". Just like you WOULDN'T say "How many MPH does your car go?", You'd say "How fast does your car go", since Miles Per Hour is a quantification of speed.
Hmmm.... a quantification of economy would be MPD (miles per dollar) get it?...haahaa I made a funny
Perhaps it's more apropos to quantify it in terms of consumption for semantics sake.

And "how fast does your car go" is vague, its too relative of a phrase for the comparison. An example would be top speed as opposed to acceleration. As a "quantification of speed" is set at a relative instant.
Miles per gallon is an average unless its refering to a set speed in which it is observed.

If life was a bit more consistent GPMPH (Gallons per mile per hour) would be interesting to hear more about as I would suspect they wouldn't possess the same linearity as other generalized systems. And instead one could achieve a direct consumption analysis/comparison for other vehicles.

HALLELUJAH CC time!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've been cruising the forums as a potential fit owner. Been reading about how the Fits have been getting as high as 40+ and as low as in the 20's. Anyway, I came across this in another forum. Hope it helps.

----- I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but
here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San
Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period
thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel,
and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks
here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morrning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground he more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your
gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the
specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet
fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of
the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger
has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should
be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are
created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor
return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes
to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and
back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth
for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your
gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the
more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty
space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline
storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero
clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes
the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every
truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping
into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill
up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being
delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally
settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value
for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we
grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are
boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting
thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting
more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas
companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.
Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that
every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are
trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shelll........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates
Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that DO NOT import
Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARCO....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunococom, you will get a list of the
station locations near you.
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importi. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Get the WORD OUT!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey super mario thanks for the interesting read.
And welcome BTW

Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Super Mario

Here are some large companies that DO NOT import
Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARCO....................0 barrels
YEAH BP! Alaskan oil FTW!!

also all this talk about weight reduction for better economy, a great place to loose weight (for the americans) is from your ass. sad but true, but most of us can afford 10-50 pounds.

Last edited by airborne200208; 03-27-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Hey super mario thanks for the interesting read.
And welcome BTW
Hey Thanks Snap Fit. Funny thing is that I've been a member longer than a lot of the members here (even you!), yet this is only my second post and I don't even own a Fit yet, haha. I'm trying to sell my 2002 Civic right now (31mpg) for a Fit. My join date tells you how long I've been wanting one, haha. I hope to be spending more time with you guys here in the near future. Cheers

Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Well to be honest i am really disappointed in our Jazz's fuel usage around town we are getting 39mpg,but on the motorway with a speed of 70/75 mph we are only getting 38ish which to be honest is rubbish,we bought the car new with only 15 miles on the clock and it has currently done just under 4k and i would have thought it would have got better.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Back into your parking spots. Pulling out of your spot when the engine is cold from a first gear start instead of backing out of your spot burns more gas than you know. Plus backing in looks cool.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by jits14
Back into your parking spots. Pulling out of your spot when the engine is cold from a first gear start instead of backing out of your spot burns more gas than you know. Plus backing in looks cool.

I reverse into my garage so when cold it's only going forward

Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a block heater, yay no cold starts!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Here is a rebuttal to Super Marios' post:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Saudi Gas Boycott

Summary:
Numbers are outdated and not accurate.
~23% of US oil comes from the middle east.
Boycotting a few Middle East oil is not practical unless consumption is cut.
Another country/company would buy the oil from the middle east.
Oil industry is complex, cannot know for sure where the gas in your tank comes from.

Last edited by Blaw; 04-01-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Blaw
Here is a rebuttal to Super Marios' post:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp\

I couldnt get the link to work, but I must say that was the most creative and hilarious error message ever!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry, here is the link:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Saudi Gas Boycott

Agreed on the error message.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Glad someone posted the urband legend link to that myth.

The best thing you can do for fuel economy is what we are doing now... Driving a sensible car! driving less, and driving efficiently.

Quick Reply: Best Driving Practices To Increase Your Fit’s MPG