Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Forgetting my headlights (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/20751-forgetting-my-headlights.html)

ineedareed 01-29-2008 06:35 PM

Forgetting my headlights

Hey FitFreaks!

I just got my Fit last week and I could not be happier. However, I am continually forgetting my headlights because when I start the car at night the dash lights light up on their own without my turning on the lights. Is there a way around this? Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

Snap Fit 01-29-2008 06:52 PM

YUP!:rolleyes:
more times than I would like to admit....but
I am used to it now and turn it on appropriately as habbit.
just one of the many things that this car zigged instead of zagged for
me. But its all good, I dont know of any mods that would change it, you
might be able to trick yourself into doing it if you turn your illumination
down all the way. (hmmm...that actually might work):)

welcome to FitFreak and congrats on the Fit BTW...

gar1013 01-29-2008 06:53 PM

Very easy mistake to make. You could just leave your lights on all the time.... when you turn the car off, I believe the headlights are automatically switched off.

Only downside is you'll need to change bulbs more often, but at least you don't have to worry about a ticket or getting in a wreck.

TOOL 01-29-2008 06:54 PM

Well when your headlights are on there a little green light under your speedo, thats how i know.

Tyler

Snap Fit 01-29-2008 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TOOL (Post 228894)
Well when your headlights are on there a little green light under your speedo, thats how i know.

Tyler

yeah I think all cars have that... cant see it too well on my fit or the blinkers for that matter (luckily I can hear them) they are too far down and behind the wheel for me so see them easily. Must be my setup as
I am 6'2".

Snap Fit 01-29-2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by gar1013 (Post 228892)
... You could just leave your lights on all the time....
Only downside is you'll need to change bulbs more often, but at least you don't have to worry about a ticket or getting in a wreck.

I was dying when I read this! (k maybe all the humor is in my head...but...still...:D )

astromattical 01-29-2008 07:13 PM

I don't know what to tell you except get into the habit of turning them on. For years now, I have turned my lights on every time I drive - regardless of the time of day/night. If I'm in the car and it is on, the lights are on.

Raaaaaaaaaay. 01-29-2008 07:34 PM

I always make fun of people that do this. Its always Honda owners too because the speedometer is constantly lit. I think having a constantly lit speedometer was the dumbest idea.

No, Ive never NOT had my headlights on at night. I enjoy the look of my car at night so I make sure its complete with the headlights and foglights.

billykim 01-29-2008 07:45 PM

Just form a regular practice of habit. I have never forgotten to turn on my lights because my old car's gauges didnt light up in the day. Either way though, its fairly easy to recognize when you should turn your lights on when the center dash?(radio, AC, etc) is dark. PLUS, you cant see ahead of you(which should be an automatic reminder!!!!) i cant tell you how dangerous it is when i see people driving w/o lights on. A friend of mine got T-boned from guy who had no lights on a dark street. and to add, i just saw a car at night with no lights while it was raining pretty hard. i didnt see this guy behind me while i was trying to change lanes, and he had the audacity to honk and be mad...boy...did he feel stupid when he realized his lights werent on!!!

ps. i thought the lights stay on even when you turn off the fit?

Raaaaaaaaaay. 01-29-2008 07:47 PM

They do stay on if the Fit is off.
I was almost hit pulling out onto a main road. It was dark and raining, no headlights. I was scared as hell and SO PISSED.

Benjie182 01-29-2008 07:57 PM

i used to forget to turn my headlights all the time when i first got my fit.

so many times actually, that once i was turning out of a gas station at night, and when i got onto the road, i looked in my rear view mirror and saw a cop. i realized my headlights were off, turned them on, then they pulled me over. i just explained everything to them and they let me go.

but yea, i have my fog lights on at the same time, so the little green light on the dash is a bit easier to distinguish when they are off and on.

pip_rocks 01-29-2008 10:06 PM

i did this once and completely freaked out when i realized why people were flashing their brights at me, haha.

from now on, my rule of thumb for night driving is to not move out of park until my green dash lights are on (i also run the fogs constantly). hasn't failed me since.

Firebat666 01-29-2008 10:16 PM

i just put the head lights and fogs on right as i get in the car... high visibility to other cars... ill deal with the bulbs eventualy.. plus lets face it... the fit is just drop dead sexy all lit up lol

Fitftw 01-30-2008 01:06 AM

lol that used to happen to me all the time. Eventually i got used to it though and dont do it anymroe.

CrazyAboutMyFit 01-30-2008 01:41 AM

I also still forget to turn my headlights on at night sometimes especially if the streets are fairly well lit. My first week with the car had me pulled over ... fortunately, the cop laughed and told me to read my manual:o ! Is it true that some of you have your headlights turn off automatically when you shut the car off? I have to turn mine off manually ... there's a pretty little chime that rings when I open the door if I haven't turned them off.

FractalJackal 01-30-2008 08:10 AM

I have forgotten them several times. The dashboard lighting is very deceptive. You get used to it after a while though. For everyone that gets pulled over by the police, driving without your lights on is a primary indicator police use for drunk drivers. If you get pulled over for your lights, explain the situation, making it clear you weren't drinking and driving and the cop will probably let you go.

Steeldog 01-30-2008 08:46 AM

Don't leave them on

Your headlights will not turn themselves off automatically when you shut the car down. They will eventually go off, but that will be because the battery is dead.:D

I had to just get used to it, too. Leaving the lights on without the engine running, I ran my battery all the way down once, and almost all the way down another time. When the battery was run down to NothingZipZero, it caused my lights and instruments to act up, and I had to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and reset the system.

My previous car, a '99 Camry, would turn its own lights on and off as needed, so I never had to turn them on or off. I miss that.:(

CorrodesTheFilm 01-30-2008 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pip_rocks (Post 229012)
(i also run the fogs constantly).

Don't do this.

Driving Tip of the Moment: Fog Lights are for FOG!!

Fitftw 01-30-2008 02:00 PM

i dont think the Fit Fog lights are particularly blinding to any oncoming traffic.

SD_MR_FIT 01-30-2008 02:20 PM

well. the only help i can give is get HIDs. its a night and day difference...if you forget to drive with your lights on with hid's then somethings really wrong with you.

i always drive with my lights on, i own a small car...i want to be seen be everyone.night or day, same concept with motorcycles, when they drive with there lights on you can see them...no matter if its day or night.

and those green lights on your speedo do help, maybe you just need to get into the habbit of flippin that switch

that too... i dont get how fog lights "blind people" ...they are suppose to be aimed low...not high.