General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Scan gauge schooling

OK I have my gauge and I'm using it to find out what works best on my Fit.

1st
Short shifting @ 2000 (as I started doing) with any acceleration is NFG. As I kind of suspected it loads the eng and the mpg is 12 to 15. Raise it to 3000 and it's well over 20mpg as you go up in speed. I will try more RPM's and find the best shift point.

2nd
It's true when you see a light and want to slide in with least fuel (with eng on) coasting in neutral is 0.25gph no A/C and .4 w A/C. Lift off the gas in 5th gear and it's 0 gph till you stop. real time MPG calc goes to 9999

3rd
It's 80F here, but when the eng is cold and not up to temperature the combustion controls does go into closed loop very fast. In fact, in less than 15 sec's from over start on an night stop. This is long before the cold eng light goes out. Was wondering about that. Bottom line, don't wast a sec idling to warm engine, if you want to save gas. No idea how that is in very cold areas of the world???

info bud
at 45mph in 5th steady cruse the Fit gets 50+ mpg

HAs anyone else got some stuff to offer.

I'd like to try a taller tire some day. Anyone try that and document the mpg change?

Last edited by pcs0snq; 05-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on the SG, I love playing with mine.

Let us know what you find out for the best shifting point.

I will keep an eye out for your fit on the road, I also live around Lake worth. I have a orange sport.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:11 PM
WoW!
intersting info....cant say that it coincides with my findings but... I dont have a Scangauge....yet! I am just going off my calculated MPG on my consistent 100% in city commutes.

please keep us posted (thats to everyone...)

so here is just a brief summary (very brief) of my findings...w/o (the help of a scangauge heehee)

-during break in light on the throttle shortshifting....yadda yadda...
27-28mpg

- now after initial break in around 1.3-2k miles-
29mpg HAULING A$$, and 34.5 mpg short shifting, coasting(neutral) doing everything I can...but still staying with traffic

ALL 100% crappy (socal/LA) city driving with half tanks as the gauge and 200 extra lbs for a quarter tank each time.

I hope the helps to narrow stuff down or something.

if what you are saying is more appropriate for MPG sakes then holy hell! I will be getting way, WAY better MPG when/if I adopt that style and or the scangauge

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
WoW!
intersting info....cant say that it coincides with my findings but... I dont have a Scangauge....yet!
if what you are saying is more appropriate for MPG sakes then holy hell! I will be getting way, WAY better MPG when/if I adopt that style and or the scangauge
yes it is what I'm saying

No telling for sure, but my point was from what I learned with my $160 tool, I think I can help owners just like you do better. I guess we'll see how many take a drink now...lol

Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM

Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I just ordered my scanguage!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll miss the days of lol.

Um how long did it take yours to be shipped?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I took over a week, but I'm pretty much at the end of the world down here. I programed an X gauge today. Now I can read the trip avg MPG right next to instant mpg. Directions for the X gauge are very cryptic, but it worked.

Re/ the higher shift RPM recommendation I made. I verified that again today at 3000. For sure better than at 2000. When you get close to the desired speed with acceleration very low or zero, it's important to get in 5th at that time. With zero acceleration low RPM's always does better.

Man o man I'm glad I got a manual tranny

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Man o man I'm glad I got a manual tranny
couldn't agree more. Everyone I know who drives an auto misses stick, and is jealous. You really do get a lot more control with a stick, and you get ALL of the babes. lol

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Today was my 1st back and forth to work with the scanner and I doubt I'll ever see 40 on this commute unless I make some modifications to the car itself.
My acceleration from a light and speed on the freeway I'm sure upset more than 50% behind me. None are flipping me off, but any slower they would or worse wreck me.

Today I saw 39.1 on my 52 mile RT. Windows cracked. (summers coming) no A/C now. I'm sire the summer A/C use will eat some fuel for sure.

That's 65 on the free-way 70% of the drive and slow starts shifting between 2000 and 3500 on the balance. The freeway mpg runs between 34 and 42 observed.

I drafted a semi today in the 1 sec distance and saw 45 to 51 at 70mph. Did that for maybe 4 miles

It's hard to recover from the initial 5 min of running.

The best item to look at the the eng load and the TPS.
The MPG and GPM have a lag as they are a calc

Also the thermostat is 172F in mine.

Just wanted to mention my Fit when hot and idling is eating .18 Gal/hr Always wondered what that was. That about 60 cents per hr and on a full tank it would run for 55 hrs lol

Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Today I saw 39.1 on my 52 mile RT. Windows cracked. (summers coming) no A/C now. I'm sire the summer A/C use will eat some fuel for sure.
Isnt it more fuel efficent to use the ac on the higway than to have the windows down? Perhaps if they were just cracked, it is better to just keep the ac off. idk
Just wanted to mention my Fit when hot and idling is eating .18 Gal/hr Always wondered what that was. That about 60 cents per hr and on a full tank it would run for 55 hrs lol
lol. Thats great you should def just randomly throw that out in a convo with people at where you work or something.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'll get some real data on the A/C or cracked/ open windows soon and share that.

I suspect the A/C ON will be worse than anything.

55 hrs yep I'll share the wisdom lol

Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Another tid bit.

The ECU control will go open loop when coasting in gear. Pretty sure that's just tried to the fact that it shuts down the injectors as mentioned above.

For those with the X gauge. I called the factory today and they are working on the Xgauge codes for the Honda. Less than a year away is what I was told. I asked them to give us the code for Vtec mode on/off.

Anyone getting into the Xgauge with the O2 codes and such?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Here's something to try... when coasting down in 5th, at what RPM does the car resume firing the injectors? I've seen tech documents for older Hondas and they vary between 900 and 1500 RPM. Next time you take a drive, let us know!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Here's something to try... when coasting down in 5th, at what RPM does the car resume firing the injectors? I've seen tech documents for older Hondas and they vary between 900 and 1500 RPM. Next time you take a drive, let us know!
I'll get an exact number for ya Friday, but it's almost to idle from what I recall.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 AM

For those with the X gauge. I called the factory today and they are working on the Xgauge codes for the Honda. Less than a year away is what I was told. I asked them to give us the code for Vtec mode on/off.
Anyone getting into the Xgauge with the O2 codes and such?

well thats mighty kind of ya, that was really slick! ^^^

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 AM
So for this half tank I have been coasting in 5th and not going into neutral
to do the coasting. Well I like the feeling of it when I plan it just right, as
I can stay in 5th longer than before...but 5th still slows the car down tons! I keep wanting to go into neutral! HAHAAA but I will just keep this going on this half tanks and see what the numbers are. I am driving like a normal person on this run. Not just for MPG sakes.
I will keep you all posted...

Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Snap, All else being the same, you should see a small gain. Let us know. You need to save up for a scanner so you can keep busy bashing buttons as you drive. Call them direct and say you want one for 159 and they will do it. They list for 169. The price is to your door.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 AM
pcs0snq

Do you have any mods done to the car ie intake or exhaust or is this on a stock car? Just curious cause sometimes with an intake and exhaust you can achieve better MPG as long as you dont get accelerator happy. haha. The best i have ever done was 40.1MPG and that was on a 8hr road trip and i went 60MPH for a whole tank. Traffic was terrible and i was about to lose my mind until i filled up and did the math. Then i wasnt terribly upset anymore just annoyed at the other drivers. Otherwise i average around 36-37 as long as im being good. I have a fujita SR and a Megan header thus far. I think they help me with MPG as long as i dont get wild on the throttle. Thanks for all the help with better fuel economy. I will be getting a SG sometime aswell. I need new furniture first though otherwise the wife will kill me if i buy more car parts first

rep+ for you for all your research.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Rich What I saw this AM. At 15 to 20mph the fuel starts flowing again, but in 5th, it's already at 1200 to 1500 rpms so it's time to step on the clutch.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 02-29-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
pcs0snq

Do you have any mods done to the car ie intake or exhaust or is this on a stock car?
Mine is 4 weeks old with 900 miles and a totally stock car.

Depending on the cost and how it would effect the warranty I'd be willing to bolt on proven stuff that has documented mpg gains if the cost payback makes sense.

Do we know of stuff that really works and has been pr oven with data???

What I see is 99% of the folks that make changes like this are in the other camp and want more power than the OEM 109hp. I think that why any reliable data on the gains may be missing.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling