Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   car theft? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/25233-car-theft.html)

mole177 05-13-2008 02:54 AM

car theft?

Are there any stories about people stealing Fit cars?

is there a type of immobilizer on the key?

mole177 05-13-2008 06:52 PM

i assume no response is good??

Sloto200 05-13-2008 08:38 PM

your getting no response because in the last 2 weeks i have personally seen at least 3 different people post about there cars getting stolen or wheels being removed and the car being left on blocks... obvious you dont come in the forum much... try clicking the "new posts" link at the top of the page when you log in... its amazing, it shows you all the posts that are new since your last log on. :wavey: :rolleyes:

manxman 05-13-2008 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sloto200 (Post 308285)
your getting no response because in the last 2 weeks i have personally seen at least 3 different people post about there cars getting stolen or wheels being removed and the car being left on blocks... obvious you dont come in the forum much... try clicking the "new posts" link at the top of the page when you log in... its amazing, it shows you all the posts that are new since your last log on. :wavey: :rolleyes:

Also, use the "search" button. The right search words will also show you many threads about stolen Fits.

storm88000 05-14-2008 05:36 AM

Be nice to the newbs, for they know not what they do

Fit_to_be_tied 05-29-2008 07:26 PM

i would like to know exactly how you steal a honda without the key

seeremlive 05-29-2008 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied (Post 324357)
i would like to know exactly how you steal a honda without the key

Tow dolly or flatbed. It has actually happened to several people (not Fits) in the Detroit area in the past weeks. With all of the forclosures and repos happening, no one notices, or pays attention, that a guy yanks a car off the of curb in the middle of the night.

There was a post about a month ago about some one on the board that stopped a neighbor from getting his car stolen this way.

Fitftw 05-30-2008 12:47 AM

Fits have been getting broken into all the time now =[. It seems a lot of people like to steal our wheels.

osborne 05-30-2008 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mole177 (Post 307652)
Are there any stories about people stealing Fit cars?

is there a type of immobilizer on the key?

Yes, there are stories of people having their Fit stolen. Yes, there is an immobilizer chip in the key.

Your Fit in it's stock form will not be a highly sought out target for thieves. Anything that you add to your vehicle that is visible to the general public will increase the likely hood that a thief will take a look.

I would only worry about petty thugs that are just looking for quick items to steal that will net them less than $100. As for actual Fit parts, stock rims seem to be the item that is stolen the most.

Also remember that no matter what you do to protect your vehicle someone will steal it if they want it bad enough. You can only layer on protection devices to scare away the little bitches or make it harder to take the car for the big fishes.

doctordoom 05-30-2008 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by osborne (Post 324774)
Also remember that no matter what you do to protect your vehicle someone will steal it if they want it bad enough. You can only layer on protection devices to scare away the little bitches or make it harder to take the car for the big fishes.

^ very true and very depressing as well.

Fit_to_be_tied 05-30-2008 12:13 PM

I dont class repo as theft, non payment on a loan then having them take your stuff back is the price you pay for having your eyes bigger than your wallet

osborne 05-30-2008 12:55 PM

I am pretty positive that the reference to flatbedding and towing cars was not about repossession. Car thieves have been known to use tow trucks to steal cars. Another way that thieves have been bypassing immobilizers and alarms is to carry a spare ecu and wiring harness.

If your car is modded in a way that would attract thieves then you need to pay attention to your surroundings. Keep an eye out for cars or people scoping out your ride. Don't keep anything valuable in your vehicle that can be easily taken (i.e. external GPS, cell phone, wallet, purse). Park in your garage if you can or somewhere that is not tucked away and unseen.

seeremlive 05-30-2008 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied (Post 325061)
I dont class repo as theft, non payment on a loan then having them take your stuff back is the price you pay for having your eyes bigger than your wallet

Neither do I, but here in the Detroit area it seems like about every 5th house is boarded up, and the car lots are full of "repo deals". What I was trying to say is that with all of the blight, no one pays attention to another car being taken (by theives or repo men) in the middle of the night.

Kind of like car alarms. I hear them all the time and don't even bother looking out the window anymore, because more often that not a large truck went by or the wind rocked the car a little to much.

Joe Dirt 05-30-2008 01:51 PM

After years in the automotive security and accessories business I've come to the conclusion that the most effective car alarm would sound like an ice cream truck.:)

seeremlive 05-30-2008 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt (Post 325145)
After years in the automotive security and accessories business I've come to the conclusion that the most effective car alarm would sound like an ice cream truck.:)

I'd come running! :D

doctor J 09-21-2015 05:56 AM

According to description in service manual, the factory immo disable ecu-provided ground to the fuel pump relay in the fuse box (and that's it); so in theory if you are having a master key or a key that will unlock the steering column, so, you can yank the fuel pump relay, bypass it with "permanently closed" relay fire an engine up and drive away. On GM made cars the immo disables fuel injector drivers not just a fuel pump. Good thing, the modern key hole is not easy to pick and not many criminals will cut the steering column lock off, otherwise the Honda immo is a lousy POS adding to the car cost:(

domoMKIV 09-25-2015 02:18 PM

big black guy named ben is the only viable solution

2Rismo2 09-25-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by domoMKIV (Post 1321188)
big black guy named ben is the only viable solution

Trunk monkey....:thumbups: