Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Fit speed...How fast can you make them go? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/27136-fit-speed-how-fast-can-you-make-them-go.html)

fANTOM 06-23-2008 01:57 PM

Fit speed...How fast can you make them go?

Within reason, what is the fastest you could make a Honda Fit run the quarter mile? What kind of mods would it take? How much money would it cost?

Keep in mind:
Without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, without gutting the interior, without replacing the engine altogether, etc.

I know these cars aren't meant for racing, but what options are available and how much of a difference do they make?

Are any of the available mods worthwhile?

I'm considering getting a 2009 Fit Sport (not sure whether I'm getting the MT or AT w/ paddle shifters). My main reason for getting it is the MPG, but I'd also like to have fun with it. I already plan on getting a body kit and wheels. Now I'm curious about the performance side of it...

CuTeBoi 06-23-2008 02:01 PM

heh..... I'm not even sure how to respond to it.

I have my car with ICE, and I track with it fully loaded at the Oakland arena. I even leave in the spare tire.

It's fun either way, not sure what you are trying to accomplish without spending money, but if you're trying to compete, yo uhave to gut your car. If you want to have fun, drive it for what it is.

GD3-Fit 06-23-2008 02:03 PM

isn't there the n1 12 sec yellow Fit?

that thing is a beast
not too sure how much was spent but it's probably a crapload

-Ricky

fANTOM 06-23-2008 02:08 PM

Basically, I want to add things to it that don't require me to destroy the car (ie gutting the interior). I'm open to turbo kits, exhaust, headers, intake, etc....heck, I would even consider a bottle. How much of a differece do these mods make and is it worth it? I was told that it would be slower than my Ford Explorer V6 and I didn't like the sound of that...so I'm just interested to see what options I have to give it a "little boost".

GD3-Fit 06-23-2008 02:11 PM

supercharger/turbo will yield you faster results
kraftwerks supercharger
t1r or hks turbo

some people here have been running the bottle and i've even considered it too and one member was running a 100 shot with no problems
wish i could bite the bullet and do it.

there are threads everywhere about these mods and they are very easy to find

-Ricky

JDMchris.com 06-23-2008 02:12 PM

as far as the 09's its hard to say for now as there are no products for it yet, well the NA Fit anyway. Nitrous is your cheapest most hp for the $$... then i would say Turbo/SC

CuTeBoi 06-23-2008 02:39 PM

I'm going for the SC, to feel the power on the exits at the track. I know my class will be moved up, but I don't care, the car is fun, and I do it for fun, not to see who beats me... (everyone else in their riced out Civics)

cojaro 06-23-2008 02:59 PM

I think you're too concerned with straightline speed. The Fit's forté is not that. It's handles and hugs the corners like mad, though.

In a straight line the Fit will be and is and probably always will be slower than the Explorer V6 you mentioned, but take it through the twisties and you'll be thinking differently.

If you want straightline speed, do a K20 swap.

Also, go with the MT, as it gets better MPG and puts more horses to the wheels.

GAFIT 06-23-2008 03:13 PM

I love drag racing, but the Fit just isn't made for it. The good news is that it is very spirited at low speeds and is fun to drive. You might be surprised and not miss the extra power.

That being said, my v8 Explorer sure feels fast after driving the Fit. But, it also feels like a pig going around a corner.

In answer to your question, I think the right combo of power adder, intake, header, exhaust would make the Fit a low 14 second car. That's with low boost or small jets and in street trim. Add more boost or bigger jets, gut it, and bolt on slicks and you'd probably have a low 13 second car.

SpokanejdmGD3 06-23-2008 03:21 PM

I would give Jpax k series supercharged a mid 12 second if not lower with a shift light so you know when to shift. Kinda have to let it it the limiter to know as it is right now.

vtec just kicked in yo 06-25-2008 01:16 AM

Yeah. I wouldn't put money into the stock L15 motor, its designed to be a thrifty economy car engine.

If you are trying to make the Fit a fast car, start by pulling the engine out and putting a K20 in there. It's already been done so we know it fits. Start there.

pwnstar 06-25-2008 01:23 AM

bottle is risky you have to watch how you use it one shot and you hit rev limiter and you could blow up your motor(so iv been told) never ran it before, this is why i have my hatch for racing :)

Steeldog 06-25-2008 05:45 AM

You could leave the interior intact, and bolt rocket-assist thrust-boosters (or whatever they call those things they use on C-130s to get them up quickly) onto each side of the Fit. However, you will need to upgrade the brakes or be sure you have several miles in which to stop.:D

Just kidding.

The Fit just ain't fast. I fear that you will be disappointed. It's a tremendously FUN car, but it is not going to be a quick 1/4 mile car. Not even a quarter-mile drop from a cliff. Sad, but true.

kenchan 06-25-2008 08:11 AM

i bought mine for grocery shopping. ;)

nitrous sounds like fun. i use to have a zex system on my old gen5 long
time ago. made the car surprisingly fast but the refilling was kind of a
pita. if i do nitrous it would be more of a conversation piece.

Tastycakes 06-25-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo (Post 347857)
Yeah. I wouldn't put money into the stock L15 motor, its designed to be a thrifty economy car engine.

If you are trying to make the Fit a fast car, start by pulling the engine out and putting a K20 in there. It's already been done so we know it fits. Start there.

mmmmmmm, K20

But yea tho Honda's are never for straight line performance. Plus FWD becomes pretty retarded once you start to get some high HP.

suboh 08-11-2008 09:24 PM

I'm considering getting a 2009 Fit Sport (not sure whether I'm getting the MT or AT w/ paddle shifters).
Don't **** with auto in the Fit. The paddle shifters are pure novelty; it's not SMG.

As tested by several publications the Fit manual typically would do 0-60 in 9 seconds while the auto would do it 2-3 seconds longer. It's likely that this will improve in the 09 Fits, but I doubt it would really bridge that gap and it would not change the fact that the paddle shifters are nothing more than novelty.

And as has been mentioned small engines aren't notorious for straight line speed. If you're not set, it may be worth considering a Scion xD as they perform 0-60 between 8 and 9 seconds and you can get some minor performance mods (header, intake, exhaust, short shifter, etc) installed at the dealership without worry of violating any warranty agreements or whatever.

cab0053 08-11-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by GD3-Fit (Post 346139)
isn't there the n1 12 sec yellow Fit?

that thing is a beast
not too sure how much was spent but it's probably a crapload

-Ricky

I think i saw it on ebay for $43 or 53k

ProMed 08-11-2008 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by fANTOM (Post 346150)
I'm open to turbo kits, exhaust, headers, intake, etc....heck, I would even consider a bottle.

Just a heads up that I sort of remember seeing that the new i-vtec in the Fit will have integrated headers. So, swapping out the headers may not be an option. Not 100% on that though.

cojaro 08-11-2008 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ProMed (Post 392625)
Just a heads up that I sort of remember seeing that the new i-vtec in the Fit will have integrated headers. So, swapping out the headers may not be an option. Not 100% on that though.

Correct. Won't be able to swap headers in the 2G Fits.

jvm051 08-11-2008 10:27 PM

I'd say get a Fit for a daily driver, and spend the $14000 you would have needed to get the Fit into the 13's and buy a nice used 05 or 06 Mustang GT and run low 13's all day long on street tires. Why put a K20 into it along with all the other modifications for it to work coherent with the rest of the car (brakes, suspension, tranny, etc) when you could have just bought a Civic Si and kept your warranty? Just my 2 cents.