General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My first Honda. My first bad car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
E B
boo hooo wahha ahh

Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I do agree with the OP on a couple of points. I have had my fit for three weeks (2010 Sport) and there are things that you wouldn't catch unless you drove it around for awhile...more than just a test drive.
--I drive highway mostly and I do hate being blown around so much. I have to death grip the wheel sometimes going 80.
--The transmission is worrying me. I only have 1000 miles on it and I already have concerns. The car jerks hard into gear-I never had a car jerk like this while shifting. I have an AT.
--The fit has NO get up and go, but once you are at 75 like the OP said, it feels like liftoff. Hmmmm.
--I am also disappointed with the gas mileage. I don't speed much-80 at the worst and that isn't even all the time. 65-70 mostly. But the fit is just like my ford focus on gas. I was hoping for better going by what I initially heard...

Other than that, I love the car and it is fun to drive. I don't regret getting the car. I hope it lasts me as long as I need it to.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
its all in how you drive. The 10s don't get as good of gas mileage as the GDs but I've gotten a best of 47mpg on the freeway. But just putting around town never worse than say 32. But I drive a stick. My brother gets bad gas mileage, but he has an AT and drives like an ass around town. So its to be expected. AT never gonna get as good of gas mileage as a MT.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I couldn't even read that whole thing. But from what I did read... Welcome to Honda! Honda's have certain charicteristics that differ from other cars. You either love it or hate it. It's like when I drove my sisters bf's turbo VW. I hated it. They're nice lookin cars, but they feel like a pile of shit to drive. Some of the stuff you mentioned are things I hate too, but I got over it. It's the same in lots of honda's and you get over it and just learn to expect it. Once you get past that you'll eventually have a car that's still running like new when it's 10 years old and if taken care of you will still be getting compliments on it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I made it 17K in the Fit. I like the car, but it proved uncomfortable in the long run. It's a blast to drive, and incredibly practical, but apparently I shouldn't have listened to my mom when she told me to drink my milk and eat my vegetables if I wanted to grow up tall and strong.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by melpote
I do agree with the OP on a couple of points. I have had my fit for three weeks (2010 Sport) and there are things that you wouldn't catch unless you drove it around for awhile...more than just a test drive.:
Agreed... The seat issues didn't bother me in the showroom, or on a test-drive. It took about a week before I started to have pain in my right leg. Different fixes improved it a bit, but just didn't work out in the long run... an extra 2-3 inches of rearward travel would have helped immensely, but I doubt anything short of replacing the seat would have worked in the long run.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I just got my '11 Fit, Auto Sport and couldn't disagree more with you ... for its size, weight and $$$, the car is about as ideal as any small car I've owned. Sure I have minor complaints, I also have some re my wife's new and expensive Forester, but sheesh, the Fit is $12,000 less. Perhaps some of the things you are complaining about have been resolved in the '11.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like the ford fiesta paid troll who spams all the fit youtube videos. Hey I'd put money down that dbzeag doesn't even own a fit. Probably has a fiesta that leaks anti-freeze/oil in the driveway.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:22 AM
i love my fit...thats why im on this site

Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Talking Love my (wife's) fit

Was planning on getting an old Mercedes SL. had no desire whatsoever to buy a Honda. And especially never wanted to buy a new car.

Had been looking at Fits for about four years. And just kind of kept reading about them. Reading reviews. I mean the Fit, and other cars. I Had owned a great Camry. Was going to get a loaded five year old camry. That was the plan anyways...

But, went to dealership, looked at the new CRZ. Looked at everything else. Then the Fit. Was much larger in person that it looked in the ads. Took it for a drive. Spent a week doing pros and cons. Like I said, hated the idea of buying a new car. But...

Ended up buying the 2011 Fit Sport, for the wife. No options. (WHY don't they offer a sunroof!?!?!?) Here it is, three months later. No regrets. Really, plan now is to wait three years, and take over the wife's Fit for myself, and get her a new one, BUT, only if they offer one that has turbo and sunroof by that time, they sure should!

I would LOVE a Fit with turbo and sunroof! Or at least a sunroof! Give me a sunroof! Hey, even a manual one with a crank or just a handle to slide it back would be great!

It should come with a center console standard, not as a dealer option. And the seats could use an upgrade. But for moving stuff around, or on a drive (did 500+ miles 2day, no issues at all) it is a great car. Looks nice. And it is a HONDA!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree with the AC issues the OP mentioned- I have an 09 MT Sport/navi. Oh also, I cantbshift into reverse without shifting into 1st and going forward an inch or two...

Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by dbzeag
[FONT=Calibri]
The AC is anemic. Barely able to cool such a large cabin with lots of glass area on an 80F overcast day. I couldn't imagine a 100F+ day in Arizona.
No argument there - my fit seemed a bit overwhelmed by 80's, and Dad refuses to ride in Mom's back in Florida during the summer. In my case, I shifted gears to the tC and foundnit met my needs much better. As long as the temp is below about 105, the interior can still get a bit TOO cool on AC Max. At 115 it began to struggle a bit, probably because of the glass roof. (Tested in Vegas a few weeks back)

The Fit has a minuscule engine and a LOT of interior volume to cool, including the entire cargo compartment. The tC is a bit smaller inside, and has a larger engine (and thus more appropriate compressor). also, most cars nowadays disengage the compressor during acceleration or hill climbing, when the engine load is increased. If the A/C is only marginally competent and the engine has to be pushed hard in routine driving, the tradeoff is decreased cooling ability.

The trade-off for my switch was a loss if about 1 mpg in daily commuting (27 to 26). Highway mileage is far lower, but given the difference in comfort, ride, and highway handling (very stable, low car with a longish wheelbase and plenty of torque for passing vs a tallish city car with a short wheelbase, uncomfortable driving position, and taxed engine, it was more than worth it.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:38 PM
This is my third Honda (my first was an 87 Honda Civic Stationwagon - the direct predecessor from a functionality standpoint), and frankly, the Fit is something of a disappointment.

First, the good things - the interior is unparalleled for someone like me who's always hauling things (not people) around - the flat interior and the flexibility of the rear jumpseat are phenomenal. When I bought the car in '08, the MPG was very competitive. I have never had to service the brakes once in 120k miles. And I just now replaced the battery. The exhaust system is vastly improved over my first Honda - I haven't had to service that at all.

The low price point is evident in things like comfort, color choices, features, ride noise, and body durability. Worse, because of the low price point, Honda dealers seem eager to get make their money after the fact - the parts are exorbitant, the service level severely lacking, and the room for negotiation absent.

What's been lacking is quality. The body - plastic - has caught on parking lot dividers and pulled entirely out of joint - the body is pretty shabby.

But it's the other, random things that have gone wrong with this car. The number of recalls, the needs for firmware updates, the dead (expensive) O2 sensors, the intractable stalling issue (valves?). These aren't issues I've ever confronted on any other car before - whether Honda, VW, or Mazda -- and I've driven them all past 175k miles.

There's an argument that you get what you pay for, and I think that's somewhat held up here -- but if you look at the Edmunds TCO, you'll find that all the benefits Honda racks up with a low up-front purchase price are lost over time with the higher-than-normal requirement for repairs relative to other vehicles. The result is that, for TCO, the Fit is not competitive.

And here's the thing - that totally undercuts the brand. Honda is known for durability and quality engineering. In this case, the complexity is betrayed by the cheapness/shabbiness - it feels like the engineering is incomplete or underdeveloped. Why did the tires need to be an unconventional size? Why did the battery need to be an unconventional size that battery shops only keep in the back? It feels like there's an arrogance built into this vehicle, and that's always eyebrow-raising. Hubris + mechanical devices = problems.

Hopefully Honda gets out of this race-to-the-bottom contribution to the car market, or elects to bring quality back to the brand and, necessarily, raise the price point. Right now, especially, where competing brands are beating them at the TCO and quality game, Honda needs to take a tough look at the Fit and decide what they want to do. Because regardless of the name no the car, this Fit is no Honda.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:46 PM
No problems at all (qualified)

I've had my fit since early 2011. At this point, it has 72,000 perfectly trouble free miles. I find it incredibly reliable. I've had no problems getting batteries, tires, etc etc. I just go to Costco and they have what I need. The fit/finish is just fine.

The only "problems" are that the handling is a bit dicey on rain soaked or icy roads here in Kentucky. Other than that, just fine.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM
ALL THIS!!!

Each left and right turn is blind for me - I can't see the lane markers OR curbs from the cockpit, as the case may be. At barely 5 feet tall, I have to lean far forward to try to negotiate a left turn on a divided highway. I can turn on lane change assist for a right turn, but all lefts are truly scary.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 AM
I have a 2010 fit and love it, I get an average of 39 mpg. The most I got was on interstate 10 and got up to 55.5 mpg even thought it was on a slight down grade lol, But anyway I really love this car at least so far, And like others have said its a Honda. Had a 1993 Honda civic dx 5 spd put on 249,000 miles on it before I sold it. I still had the factory battery and even the factory clutch yet, Never had a problem with it. I did maintain it well though. Anyway I am looking to put a lot of miles on my fit like I did with the civic and maybe more.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM
My 2015 has about 14,000 miles on it and is due to be traded ASAP. I made that decision before yesterday, when it failed during a long drive that I make 2-3 times a year. This is not capable of making the 6-hour+ trip from East Tennessee to Memphis with its very hilly terrain and hot, hot temps this time of year (won't cool, and if it does to any extent, there's no power).

This car is falling apart before my very eyes. I'm getting the failures fixed under warranty and selling while there's half the warranty left for the next buyer. Third Honda and the last Honda.

If anyone wants it, you know where to find me. I'm cutting my losses before I incur even more and moving on.

My husband is researching new SUVs now for purchase later this year. Based on this hot mess he won't even consider a CRV.

Last edited by Alesa; 05-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Never buy a car made outside of its homeland..

US built german cars suck.
US built Japanese cars suck.
German cars built anywhere but germany,,,, suck.

Just say no to CVT transmissions..

Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 AM
I have 102K miles on my 2010. I am averaging 36.1 over the life of the car. The seats are by far the worst part about the car... so uncomfortable. Currently it is sitting on the back lot waiting for the airbag recall. I must say, the rental is making me not miss the car as much as I thought it would.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
My 2005 BMW 3 series 330XI gets mid 30's on the freeway, about 27 around town.
It also makes it way easier for me to get in trouble.. The fit is a commuter battle wagon, agile, and small easy to park in the city. Different weapons for different missions.

Quick Reply: My first Honda. My first bad car purchase