Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   headlights don't go off when car is off awhile (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/30680-headlights-dont-go-off-when-car-off-awhile.html)

Funchy 09-04-2008 09:38 AM

headlights don't go off when car is off awhile

I've noticed this car doesn't have the automatic headlight shut-down that most cars do. Is there an aftermarket gizmo that can be added which will turn lights off after car is turned off X minutes?

If I don't catch it in time, will it 100% run down the battery? or is there some hope there's a protection circuit in it that'll turn off the lights before then?

TIA.

cojaro 09-04-2008 11:24 AM

The Fit is basic, so of course its headlights don't turn off after some time. If you do leave the lights on, there is a beep that tell you they're still on.

"most" cars have auto headlight shut-off? I was not aware of this.

I'm also not aware of anything aftermarket that will add that feature.

TOOL 09-04-2008 11:39 AM

Ive never heard of a mod that can control when headlights on or off.
Its pretty easy to take your left hand and switch them off when you shut off the car. heh.

Funchy 09-04-2008 11:52 AM

The Fit is basic, so of course its headlights don't turn off after some time. If you do leave the lights on, there is a beep that tell you they're still on.
I don't get a beep. My dealer installed a remote start. When you stop the car and remove the key, car stays running until door is closed. Headlights would not beep if car is still running, and they don't beep (or at least I cant hear beep through glass) with door closed. So, effectively there is no reminder at all.

Funchy 09-04-2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TOOL (Post 415716)
Ive never heard of a mod that can control when headlights on or off..

Alright, guys. You made me get off my lazy butt to look for the automatic headlight gizmo. I was starting to think that I was losing my mind that no such thing exists.

I found this, and I list need to do more research to make sure it won't screw something in the Fit up: Nite Lite System I also miss not having DRLs, so maybe an upgrade is in order anyway.

Or how about this DRL kit on ebay? Or this kit, but at only $15 I'm wondering how good it is?

FyrFytr 09-08-2008 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cojaro (Post 415705)

"most" cars have auto headlight shut-off? I was not aware of this.

I don't understand why this feature is not available on more cars. My 2000 Impreza 2.5RS does this automatically. As soon as the ignition is turned off, the headlights and parking lights go off. There is no way to turn them on without the key in the 'on' position. On top of my steering column, there is a rocker switch that allows the parking lights to be turned on when the car is off. When I drive the cars of other people, family, etc., that do not have a chime that goes off wen the lights are left on, I constantly forget to turn them off because I'm so used to have it happening automatically. This is a feature that Subaru put on their cars in 2000...why is it 2008(9) and most cars still do not have it?

wdb 09-08-2008 12:23 PM

Take it back to the geniuses who put the remote start system in and tell them to wire the lights into it correctly so they don't kill your battery.

nodrogkam 09-08-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 419778)
Take it back to the geniuses who put the remote start system in and tell them to wire the lights into it correctly so they don't kill your battery.

yeah, what he said.

chinese 09-09-2008 05:04 AM

cant you tell the whether the lights are on or off when you get out of the car?

enjoito 09-09-2008 05:27 AM

yea doesnt make a beeping sound when u leave your light on just like if u dont put your seat belt on?

also it has that colored icon by your speedo

Juliane 09-09-2008 11:07 AM

I'd like a noise that would tell me when my lights aren't on...I drove about 15 miles down a busy street one night w/o knowing my lights weren't on...didn't notice anyone flashing his lights at me...until the police car pulled me over...I had NO IDEA what I'd done and he let my son and I sit in the car for about 20 minutes running the plates and doing whatever before he came up and told me my lights weren't on. OMG, Officer! I had no idea! The street was well-lit, but still, it could have been dangerous. Fortunately it was late and there weren't many cars on the street.

A little chime to say "Hey Dummy! You forgot to turn your lights on!" would be cool.

FyrFytr 09-09-2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chinese (Post 420707)
cant you tell the whether the lights are on or off when you get out of the car?

Yes, if it's dark outside.:rolleyes:

I frequently use my lights during the daytime, as DRLs, for better visibility, especialy in overcast weather. When there is more ambient light outside, than there is light that the headlights provide, it's difficult to 'tell whether the lights are on or off."