General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Once you go hatch, you can't go back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Once you go hatch, you can't go back.

My Fit is my first hatch. Always thought I wanted a hatch and now that I own the Fit I love it. I did not realize how much I dis-liked a trunk. With a hatch you can load in anything. Yesterday I loaded in my snowblower with the handle still attached. Do you think my scooter will fit? Migh have to take the mirrors off. The magic seats are the best. When it comes time to clean the inside of all the windows that back window won't be a lesson in aerobics.

Also there is something satisfying about opening that big ass hatch door.

Last edited by Daņiel; 04-18-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Any other hatch stories? Hello?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
loyal hatch owner since '91!!!

know what you mean, love "junk in the trunk" hehehehe

Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I wouldn't call that a snowblower! LOL!!

My 1992 Integra GS-R has moved furniture, a 75 gallon aquarium and a bunch of other things. My 1990 Civic Si brought home a BBQ, a Honda lawn mower, furniture, kids piknik table.

Since we also have an Odyssey, one day we went to the mall so the kids could run around on a cold winter day, and drove home with a widescreen TV in the back! LOL!!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
My first hatch was a '91 Civic DX. I loved how much crap I could jam in there. The car was a life saver when i found myself moving all my worldly possessions from Tampa to Chicago on short notice. I agree that once you experience the functionality of a hatch, it is hard to do without it. After my Civic I moved onto a Del Sol, Integra, and Prelude. I take my bike _everywhere_ with me, and found that spending 15 minutes to wiggle it in or out of the trunk of the Prelude was an immense hassle that had me daydreaming about my old Civic. I wanted to stay Honda, but wound up going with Subaru Impreza wagon since that there were no fairly new Honda hatches in my price range. The fact of the matter is that hatches are incredibly useable, and it's a shame that most Americans refuse to consider them

Old 04-19-2006, 12:56 PM
i loved having the hatch on the RSX. even though it wasn't a hatchback, it still was nice being able to throw stuff in the back without opening the trunk. i wish i could get an evo wagon, that way i could have all the ammenities of the hatch, plsu the fricken sweetness of the evo.

hatch lover since 04.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
1st hatch 1990 CRX Si
2nd hatch 2003 350Z
3rd hatch 2007 Fit

I love a good hatch.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't understand this talk about Americans not buying hatchbacks. Aren't most SUV's hatchbacks? I have an Explorer Sport, its a two door hatchback. And what about mini vans, aren’t they hatchbacks? Maybe the "cars" we buy have trunks but we have been buying a lot of "hatchbacks".

Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
I had a '90 Civic Hatchback. When I got my Civic in 02', Honda didn't have the hatchback except the Si, so I got a 4-door. I have always missed my old car. It just seemed more fun to drive. Here's hoping the Fit will bring back the fun factor I've been missing. Now, if it would just hurry up and get here. I'm hoping I get a call from my dealer today or tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Daņiel
Do you think my scooter will fit?
Your Jazz moped might "fit" - mine is half as big as the Fit!

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

Old 04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
My cars:

'78 Accord hatch
'78 Accord hatch
'82 Civic 4dr (kids, needed 4 drs)
'89 CRX hatch (still have)
'93 Civic Si hatch (now my daughter's car)
'99 CR-V (can you call it a hatch?)
'90 CRX Si hatch (still have)
'02 Civic 4dr (what the wife wanted)
'05 CR-V (wife saw the light! - then went dumb and traded it for a 4dr Civic - no wonder she's now an ex!!!!!)
'07 Fit (when it gets here!!)

Hatches are definately the best!!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I don't consider SUVs to be hatchbacks. Yes, they do have a hatch...but to me a hatchback is a CAR. SUVs are TRUCKS.

A panel van has a hatch (door) and a lot of cargo space. Doesn't make it a hatchback.

We've been told by the auto makers for years that Americans don't buy hatchbacks. How are we supposed to, when for years the flippin' manufacturers didn't OFFER enough of them? Circular logic.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps I should have said hatchback _cars_. On my two trips to Europe, most of the cars I saw were small 3 or 5 door hatches. Here in the U.S., small hatchback cars are not a popular choice. I love small hatch cars because of the practicality. A small nimble gas-sipping package with enough cargo capacity to meet the needs of the average person 99% of the time. You can call an SUV a hatch if you want, but I personally consider those more of a trucklike than car like vehicle. That includes everything from the CRV up. What I'm trying to say about Americans is that many of them in the major metropolitan area I live in have a "bigger is better" mentality, and it shows with the size of average car you see on the road compared to what I've seen in other countries.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gpmo
I don't understand this talk about Americans not buying hatchbacks. Aren't most SUV's hatchbacks? I have an Explorer Sport, its a two door hatchback. And what about mini vans, aren’t they hatchbacks? Maybe the "cars" we buy have trunks but we have been buying a lot of "hatchbacks".
Hatchbacks by definition usually tend to be cars. SUVs are not (in many people's books) considered to be "hatchbacks".

Old 04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
It's well known that sedans are much more popular than wagons and hatchbacks in the US. It's a cultural preference; the usual explanations are (1) style and (2) privacy of cargo.

SUVs are the exception to the rule due to a "rugged" image that has been popular in the US over the last 15 years, but anything that looks car-like is going to sell better in sedan form. The Subaru Legacy is a good example. The sedan is much more popular than the wagon, but the identical wagon in jacked-up Outback form sells better even though it costs $1K more.

All this is why other markets get a more interesting variety of wagons and hatchbacks than we get here, and it's a shame. At least there are some choices, and it looks like the trend is in the right direction now that cultural consciousness is starting to tilt away from SUVs.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
anyone know if you can fit a guitar case into the hatch cargo area without lowering down the magic seats?

Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I went back..
I went from having a xB(kick ass city car)to a Lancer EVO.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:30 PM
My hatches
75 VW Rabbit
82 Dodge 024
89 Jeep Cherokee , big hatchback. hehee
96 Acura Integra (best car I have owned)
03 Chrysler PT Cruiser

The PT is cool looking but not that reliable and gets poor fuel mileage. Might be a Fit in my future next fall.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Well back in 2000 I have my 1994 White Civic VX and I was the 28 person to purchase these for my 1996 JDM Spec ITR Motor....

Just wait till I get my hands on the Fit...

Old 04-19-2006, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Love them hatchbacks, the versatility, the room, the back door. Everything is so useful, I never have to rent a van or truck. My boyfriend moved our whole apt. in my 1992 2 door Civic hatch. Of course it took a few trips but it made it. The 85 wagovan could haul anything and actually became my boyfriends contracting work vehicle. Amazing car for it's age. The CRV while considered a miniSUV is still a hatch to me, I thought I'd expand my hatchback horizons but unfortunately this car just doesn't have the great gas mileage of a traditional hatchback. Which now brings me to the FIT. My local dealer called and said they were on the lot. Appt. to drive tomorrow, can't wait (also can't wait to sell the CRV!)

1983 Nissan 280ZX (actually my dad's)
1987 Suzuki Samurai (shared w/my sis)
1992 Honda Civic Hatchback VX (my first car purchase)
1985 Honda Civic Wagovan (could haul anything)
1997 Honda CRV
2007 Honda FIT (still waiting!!)

Quick Reply: Once you go hatch, you can't go back.