Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   FORGET THE FIT... I'm Buyin' A Volkswagen RABBIT Instead...!!! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/4187-forget-fit-im-buyin-volkswagen-rabbit-instead.html)

Jesus 04-19-2006 12:37 AM

FORGET THE FIT... I'm Buyin' A Volkswagen RABBIT Instead...!!!

Folks. Be reasonable. The Rabbit's gonna be $14,995.00 with 150 HP, ABS, dual airbags, curtains, alarm and an interior better than any Honda and equal to any Acura. The Golf has been reliable in Europe and I rotate my car every four years anyway. Got the manufacturer warranty for that ish. Maybe the second generation FIT will be something worth considering. But as of right now, my money's on the Rabbit.

JDMGD3 04-19-2006 12:46 AM

When is the Rabbit scheduled to release in the US? This fall?

kennyt 04-19-2006 12:53 AM

If you're happy with it, go for it dude.
I have heard too many horror stories about VW's reliability in the last few years to risk trying them out.

Bill L 04-19-2006 12:55 AM

Different opinion: My 1975 Rabbit needed three clutches in five years & while fun, it was expensive to keep going. I try to keep cars for at least 8 years, and my Miata is now at 15, and it was as loved by Consumer Reports for reliability as it was for fun by Car & Driver. C&D loved the Fit, and I bet CR will too, so I'm still going for the Fit-- the rest of you have given the reasons repeatedly.

hen88 04-19-2006 12:55 AM

Well - I hope for your sake that your new Rabbit is still running before you can switch it out in 4 years. I currently have a VW Golf that I have only had for two years. In that short time, I have spent a total of $5,000 - all on engine-related problems. I finally had to put a new engine in there. And the car only has 64,000 miles on it and it's a year 2000. VW's reliability is total crap. I would gladly give up some of the luxury features for a sturdy, reliable car. Goodbye VW Golf...hello Honda Fit!

Paulo107 04-19-2006 01:03 AM

well be reasonable...if you think thats a better bargain go ahead yo but, with reliabilty issues, hondas not known for making cars that breakdown thats why they are a little more pricey than others you get what you paid for...good luck with your new car:D

Gordio 04-19-2006 01:09 AM

Are you sure it's that cheap?

timbuk3 04-19-2006 01:29 AM

oof - many of my friends have had SOOO many computer/clutch/engine/electric problems with their VW's. good luck.

Paulo107 04-19-2006 01:40 AM

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1...xterior6mz.jpg
heres a nice VW POLO GTI too bad its only sold in Europe

gcomstock 04-19-2006 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gordio
Are you sure it's that cheap?

The press release mentions the sub $15K price, but isn't specific about how "de-contented" that model will be. The current base Golf starts north of $16 on the veedub site. The 150 hp 2.5L five cylinder engine may not be the one included at the lowest price points.

Either way, the more competition in the sector, the better. I'm loving VW's safety commercials (the one's show "normal folks having a conversation" right up until the side curtain airbags deploy...very persuasive in favor of the extra bags!). And my buddy just decided to keep his old Golf instead of trading, cuz he loves the car.

The press release mentions a 4 year / 50K bumper to bumper warranty, plus 4 years roadside assistance.

http://www.vw.com/companyinfo/news_2...edh_rabbit2006

BKKJack 04-19-2006 05:29 AM

I've said this before, but I have had two VWs. An 85 GTI and a 95 Jetta GLX. I drove the hell out of them. The GLX went coast to coast about ten times, and I never had a problem with either of them with the exception of sun/moonroof cable adjustments. Great cars, and if VW wises up and brings the Polo over before I have to buy a car, that will be high on my list.

plus_c 04-19-2006 08:45 AM

With VW reliability? No thanks.

On another note, I sat in a GTI once - if the Rabbit's the same body, then...just..eww. It felt big, heavy, and ponderous just sitting in it. The Fit will probably provide similar performance while getting much better mileage because it's lighter.

DewaltDakota 04-19-2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by gcomstock
I'm loving VW's safety commercials (the one's show "normal folks having a conversation" right up until the side curtain airbags deploy...very persuasive in favor of the extra bags!).

The first time I saw that commercial, I involuntarily gasped, and said "Oh my God!" pretty loudly. It TOTALLY caught me off-guard. Good commercial.

Too bad the car isn't as good as the marketing.

Jonniedee 04-19-2006 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
Too bad the car isn't as good as the marketing.

Amen to that - VW = big $$$ to keep running !!!!

jdueber 04-19-2006 09:28 AM

Well, to each his own. But I will tell you that I have owned two Volkswagens, a Beetle and a Diesel Rabbit. I used to call it my "Diesel Dog". I had all kinds of problems with it. I had a Honda '96 Civic with 195,000 miles and had just spent $1,000 getting it all fixed up to do another 100,000 miles. Then, just as I was returning home, I got hit by a man who wasn't paying attention. My airbags deployed--after 195,000 miles--and my car was totaled. I had been doing research on cars and was interested in the Fit but then read probably here that they might bring out a Hybrid Fit. Well, hopefully, I will get my fit today. Wasn't happy about my Civic but am sure I will enjoy driving the Fit. BTW, when the airbags deployed after so many miles, I was impressed with Honda's workmanship.

McSwine 04-19-2006 09:40 AM

In addition to reliability issues, you will get killed when you sell/trade. I had a '97 Jetta GLX that was a decent car (with annoying electrical gremlins), but I was glad I leased.

pokems23 04-19-2006 10:41 AM

VW parts are expensive.

watermelonman 04-19-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jesus
Folks. Be reasonable.

I'm being reasonable by staying away from anything built by VW for the rest of my life.

I don't buy low quality overpriced garbage.

KNICKS22885 04-19-2006 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kennyt
If you're happy with it, go for it dude.
I have heard too many horror stories about VW's reliability in the last few years to risk trying them out.

YEH RELIABILITY IS AN ISSUE....REALLY THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING DUDE....

dartvader 04-19-2006 11:06 AM

I'm tempted to go VW too, esp since the Rabbit will be German-made. However, even in Europe, VW is now considered less reliable than Peugeot! So I dunno - I might test drive the new VW but since I intend on keeping my next car for 15 years, Honda reliability plus the better gas mileage will be key.