General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do I get mustard out of my seat?!?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
How do I get mustard out of my seat?!?

Someone got mustard on my dang passenger seat!!!! How can I get this out???

Name:  mustard.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by Edison Carasio; 08-28-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
What have you tried so far? I find white (distilled vinegar) gets out most things (provided you don't mind the odor that lingers for a while). The other thing I also use is regular spray on window cleaner (like windex) - spray it on, wipe it off (it's the ammonia in it that works I think).

Mind you, plain water should always be your first choice - and mustard really shouldn't be too bad.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't try anything yet, as I let my buddy borrow the car on lunch at work. Then saw it when I took the keys back and went to lunch myself.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sure, "mustard".

Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
You don't keep a Tide pen in your car? You should!

Try Oxiclean though. That stuff works wonders.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
second the Oxi Clean, no bleach and it has never failed me.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I didn't try anything yet, as I let my buddy borrow the car on lunch at work. Then saw it when I took the keys back and went to lunch myself.
Present said "buddy" with a bill for interior detailing.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Sure, "mustard".
hahahahahahaaaaaa

Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I hope he got mustard in my car and nothing else . . . . .

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
That's why nobody drives my car but me. I would have been Pissed when he came back and I saw that.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Everyone I work with doesn't know how to drive a MT, so I'm lucky!

Try a Mr. Clean magic eraser.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Your primary problem is going to be if instead of plain mustard, what you have there is a mixture of mustard and, say mayo, because then you're got grease to deal with. Whatever you use, scrape of the solid matter and then start from the outside in, so as not to leave a ring.

Personally - I wouldn't use the Mr Clean magic eraser until you've tried everything else: I love those things, and they're great for getting grease off of hard surfaces, but I doubt they'd make much of an impact on upholstery, AND they may leave a white residue.

Jennifer

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try something when I get home from work and see if it works. Damn mustard.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I've used Resolve Dual Power carpet cleaner on my truck. It worked too good actually. Not only did it take out the stain but it cleaned the seat soo well that the rest of the seat looked dirty. lol

Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 PM
wet any of your basketball pants with a little soap then sit on it and drive for a while or if youre not doing anything you can put soap and water in a bucket and rinse a shirt and dont twist the shirt to much so there's still wetness in it. then shape it one the gray part of the seat and just for couple of minutes or longer. haha hope this helps lol. thats what i do

Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
You could just make it worse by doing something, which is why I really recommend a professional.

Because if you lighten, darken, or otherwise change the color via cleaning products, you're then completely stuck. It also may affect the fabric strength and texture.

Seriously, take it to a dealer for a detail wash inside and out. That way if it gets wrecked (again), you have another person to blame. Them and not you.

Because one option is just to cut out that stained, soiled fabric, but you probably wouldn't do that. So why would you mess with the fabric inside otherwise? These various fixes may or may not do the trick, and a combination of fixes could be just as bad as cutting out the seat fabric.

Like if chemicals mix or the foam underneath melts/deteriorates.

Your whole interior will be "like new" if you go via your dealer.

P.S. the costs for the cleaning products that don't work or wreck the fabric/foam would be on top of the costs for a pro detail or fabric/foam replacement. You can save the costs of the cleaning products by just going pro.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
You could just make it worse by doing something, which is why I really recommend a professional.

Because if you lighten, darken, or otherwise change the color via cleaning products, you're then completely stuck. It also may affect the fabric strength and texture.

Seriously, take it to a dealer for a detail wash inside and out. That way if it gets wrecked (again), you have another person to blame. Them and not you.

Because one option is just to cut out that stained, soiled fabric, but you probably wouldn't do that. So why would you mess with the fabric inside otherwise? These various fixes may or may not do the trick, and a combination of fixes could be just as bad as cutting out the seat fabric.

Like if chemicals mix or the foam underneath melts/deteriorates.

Your whole interior will be "like new" if you go via your dealer.

P.S. the costs for the cleaning products that don't work or wreck the fabric/foam would be on top of the costs for a pro detail or fabric/foam replacement. You can save the costs of the cleaning products by just going pro.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never get your car detailed by a dealership, their definition of detailing is to scratch up and ruin everything

Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never get your car detailed by a dealership, their definition of detailing is to scratch up and ruin everything
Huh?

Maybe it depends on the dealership.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Perhaps it's being female, or a mother, but it would take more than mustard to push me into taking it to the dealer for detailing. Honestly - a food stain is not such a big deal: start with the weakest solution (water) and work your way up. Car upholstery is much more resilient than you give it credit for. I have cleaned cherry Koolaid and Mirin off of car seats with no residue or discoloring, and several other unidentifiable strange substances. Biro responds well to hairspray, if you're interested.

P.S.

If you end up getting it wetter than you would like and you don't have a shopvac, a filling station vacuum cleaner will remove a lot of water.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Huh?

Maybe it depends on the dealership.
i have NEVER heard anything good about dealership 'detailings'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I get mustard out of my seat?!?