Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Buy an '09 or wait for 2010? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/47854-buy-09-wait-2010-a.html)

krisasaurus 09-02-2009 02:27 PM

Buy an '09 or wait for 2010?

I pretty much have my heart set on a Fit Sport, which I'm considering buying this weekend. But if I can't get a good deal on an '09 (I would think they'd want to be pushing those right now), I'm wondering if I should just wait another month and get a 2010. Does anyone know if the 2010 model is priced differently than the '09? Would it make more sense to wait or buy now? Just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance!

raytseng 09-02-2009 03:13 PM

As dealers are experiencing cash for clunkers hangover (low supply/same demand?), the general advice is to wait a bit until supply comes back in-especially for a big C4C seller like the fit.

interestingstuff 09-02-2009 03:20 PM

I suppose it depends upon if you want a Manual or an AUtomatic, and if you were at all considering the VSA/Navi option of the higher end model.

It also of course depends upon where you live, and how long you wish to keep the car.

Personally if I was buying now I would probably try to see if I could get a good deal by waiting for the 2010s to come out and buying a 2009 model that the dealerships are trying to get rid of.

It's fairly easy to shop online and see what the dealers inventories are to see if you can find the one you want/enough stock in your local area.

If you want a MT Sport with VSA/Navi you need to get a 2009.

Yes, the 2010s are slightly higher in price with no upgrades/changes.

Someone in a previous thread suggested that a 2010 will retain its value longer than an 09 as far as resale goes (since, obviously, it's a later model), but if that is not an issue for you, I would go for the 2009.

bpetroce 09-02-2009 09:41 PM

Now could be the right time...

So I just bought an 09 Fit Sport today. I really like. I am new to Honda - former VW and Toyota driver - but the Fit is something special. I like how weird it is, while at the same time comfy, practical and green. Works for me! About buying now....I emailed a couple dealers on Monday and said I would buy a Honda Fit from them for cash on that day, the last day of the month, if they would take factory invoice as the sale price. 3 said no but one said yes! So I got an 09 Fit Sport for 16,400. It is a manual - what I wanted - and Tidewater blue. The dealer told me it was worth them selling me the car for a minimal profit in order to add one more car to their monthly vehicle sale tally and to free up the cash and space so they can bring in more 2010 models. In talking with them I did learn that the '10 models are around 50$ more and otherwise identical. I think they said there would be some different colors in 2010. I guess it comes down to how you buy cars. We keep them forever, so I am not interested in the resale value in a couple years. If I was I might hold off for an '10 since they will be worth more to resell or trade in. I was more interested in a great price. Not sure what your key goals are in buying but if you are like me, maybe wait until late Sept and then make them an offer they can't refuse. They do have fewer now, but if you are flexible on colors and willing to drive a little way to a dealer that might be a little father away, you can get a good deal.

55Fit55 09-02-2009 10:06 PM

I would have waited for a 2010, if the C$C money would still have been around. It was just too good a deal to pass up with $4500 off, so I got my '09 3 weeks ago.

Like the one previous post said, the resale value because of the year will be a little more, but as for me, I'll probably run it until it dies, so that was not a big consideration.

Don't know where your at in PA...........the dealer here in Altoona,PA had one white '09 AT Sport left @ $17850 and they don't budge on MSRP.

55Fit55 09-02-2009 10:17 PM

Just went to get the paperwork out of my glovebox.

My car was $16,910 with $670 destination charge............total $17580
No dealer add-on accessories.

Went to Honda.com and built my own 2010 Fit. Car was $17,260 with $710 destination charge (no accessories)..............total $17,970.

So you may see an MSRP difference of around $400 between the '09 & '10.

krisasaurus 09-03-2009 09:41 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be keep this car as long as possible, so an '09 will definitely work for me. Now if only I could hunt down an '09 in Blackberry Pearl...

interestingstuff 09-03-2009 10:36 AM

Honda of Princeton (NJ) has one. I believe it may actually be better to buy in NJ because you then get the CA warranties.

It might help to know what area of PA you are in so as to know what is closest to you.

cab0053 09-03-2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bpetroce (Post 738701)
but the Fit is something special. I like how weird it is, while at the same time comfy, practical and green.

only green fit I've seen was in Canada and that was a gd

;-)

krisasaurus 09-03-2009 01:00 PM

I'm right by Allentown, PA. Lehigh Valley Honda is the closest dealer to me, but they don't have the Sport in Blackberry Pearl, unfortunately.

TaffetaWhite 09-03-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by krisasaurus (Post 738363)
I pretty much have my heart set on a Fit Sport, which I'm considering buying this weekend. But if I can't get a good deal on an '09 (I would think they'd want to be pushing those right now), I'm wondering if I should just wait another month and get a 2010. Does anyone know if the 2010 model is priced differently than the '09? Would it make more sense to wait or buy now? Just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance!

Did you want Auto or Manual? With or without Nav/VSA?

krisasaurus 09-03-2009 02:03 PM

Taffeta, I'm looking to buy an Auto without nav...

kenchan 09-03-2009 02:05 PM

as posted somewhere above, if you really want to save money, wait until november/december.

but if you can't wait, just get it now. :D hahaha. car's only worth wat it's worth to you no matter wat the price... especially if you're going to drive it to the ground. :)

congrats

TaffetaWhite 09-03-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by krisasaurus (Post 739171)
Taffeta, I'm looking to buy an Auto without nav...

As mentioned, Princeton Honda has one:
New Honda Fit, Princeton, NJ, , Honda of Princeton Stock: H092647

Martin Main Line shows two on the Edmunds page (they don't show their inventory on their own dealer site):
Honda Fit Dealer Listings - Edmunds.com

Supposed to have FOUR at Keenan:
Honda new certified car dealer in Doylestown PA. Honda Fit,Accord Coupe,CR-V,Odyssey,Accord Sedan,Insight,Ridgeline,Element,Civic Sedan,Civic Coupe,Pilot new cars for sale online at Keenan Honda, a Doylestown new Honda and certified car dealer.

How's that for starters?

TaffetaWhite 09-03-2009 02:35 PM

Another at Roberts Honda:
2009 Honda Fit Automatic Sport Blackberry Pearl Hatchback 4 Dr.. A Honda Fit at Roberts Honda Downingtown PA

JLFreed:
2009 Honda Fit Vehicle Details - Edmunds.com

krisasaurus 09-03-2009 04:27 PM

Thanks so much! SO happy that Keenan has four, I'll probably head there. Thanks again!

interestingstuff 09-03-2009 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by krisasaurus (Post 739272)
Thanks so much! SO happy that Keenan has four, I'll probably head there. Thanks again!

Get internet prices from various places, inclduing keenan. (feel free to get prices at places that don't have BBP, too..) the place that gave me the best internet price (on a base) was route 22 honda in nj which shouldn't be too far away.. although it was potentially from costco pricing, they emailed me and said it was internet pricing.)

Keenan might ALSO be a costco dealership. I believe that when I called them (costco auto) they said there was a dealer in doylestown that was..) note: not all costco experiences are good, and you might be able to get different prices from internet pricing vs. costco pricing.

You don't need to be a costco member to get their pricing online .. although you might need to be to actually take advantage of it.. (reports on this have been variable.) https://www.costcoauto.com/ they will automatically assign you only the most local dealer so I would put in the doylestown zip code to see if keenan comes up.

CombatBaby 09-03-2009 05:09 PM

Price difference for Honda's has usually been at least $200 more each model year.

The Fit is unchanged for 2010, at least as far as features, though some materials may be different and the accessories from Mugen should be available from the dealer.

There are rumors for new colors, but I honestly doubt it.

If they came out with a nice green one though I'd finally be jealous of a GE

TaffetaWhite 09-03-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by krisasaurus (Post 739272)

Call first. They may not have updated their information. The car business is funny...like any other retail business...what was there and plentiful yesterday is completely sold out today.

For that matter, what was there when you walked in might be gone by the time you're ready to check out at a store.

Also, if you can, go in before the weekend. Friday afternoon maybe. Weekends get busy and you might not be able to get a salesperson right away.

As suggested, email ahead, so you have a salespersons name, and you can call and chat about the deals they have. Make an appointment so they know you're coming. That also allows you to do your insurance too (in case your insurance people aren't open on the weekend).

Edit add-on:

I verified they really do have 4 Blackberry Pearl Sport Auto. Talked to Dave Maness, so ask for him. He sounds real nice and very helpful.

Keenan also has bonuses, like three free oil changes. Discount on accessories. I didn't get any steenking bonuses. Wah.

Remember it's Labor Day Weekend. So it could be totally nuts. Or completely quiet. The dealership will be open on Monday, but if it's totally dead, they'll close up earlier than a usual Monday.

Because it can be nuts, either with shoppers or with traffic for the weekend, again I'll suggest that you call ahead and go in on Friday. Then you have a LONG weekend to play with your NEW CAR!

DatFIT 09-03-2009 07:20 PM

you can get good deals on 09... when they're trying to get rid them all to make room for 2010s lol