General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit cancels hybrid as expected; CRZ rolls spring 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Fit cancels hybrid as expected; CRZ rolls spring 2010

As expected, Honda announced cancelling a hybrid Fit as it has nothing to add to the Insight that can't be done on that chassis.
The CRZ is expected to weigh 2650 lb and believed to have 200 hp including a 40 hp electric motor that offers 40 mile on that motor by itself.and perhaps plug-in recharge. 40 mpg by EPA expected. My order is in as I expect orders to pile up at a furious rate. 4WD was also mentioned. I hope threy have an HX version using a diesel that gets 70 mpg. its been worked on at Honda.
Corvettes just became second rate sports cars. Poor GM, good thing they're owned by Obama, even though it'll be our taxes they will be subsidized by..

Last edited by mahout; 09-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
As expected, Honda announced cancelling a hybrid Fit as it has nothing to add to the Insight that can't be done on that chassis.
The CRZ is expected to weigh 2650 lb and believed to have 200 hp including a 40 hp electric motor that offers 40 mile on that motor by itself.and perhaps plug-in recharge. 40 mpg by EPA expected. My order is in as I expect orders to pile up at a furious rate. 4WD was also mentioned. I hope threy have an HX version using a diesel that gets 70 mpg. its been worked on at Honda.
Corvettes just became second rate sports cars. Poor GM, good thing they're owned by Obama, even though it'll be our taxes they will be subsidized by..
Link to canceling the Fit Hybrid?

Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Poor GM, good thing they're owned by Obama, even though it'll be our taxes they will be subsidized by..
All started by George Bush.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Every time I drive my new Fit I think about the CRZ. I hope what you're saying is true. I've had two 95 civics, a 90 CRX Si, and two RX-8s before the Fit. If I could meld them all together I would end up with something similar to your description of the CRZ Si. Crossing my fingers...

Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Is the CR-Z also based on the GE chassis? Thought it'd make more sense for Honda to make it that way as the GE's bones are supposed to be their global small-car platform.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
I hope the CRZ doesn't get the same suspension as the GE

Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
That's not what this says:

2011 Honda Jazz / Fit Hybrid: Leaked image

Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
200hp? that sounds like a bit much.

i have read that it will probably feature the r18 from the civic, and then add an electric motor on top of that. estimated to have 150hp, which would be nice for a 2600lb car...though the suspension better be buttoned down and hopefully not be torsion beam rear.

(i'm sorry, but honda simply does not know or refuses to make a independant suspensioned car ride smooth. maybe the insight is the exception i dunno. but i'm pretty sure the crz will have a shorter wheelbase than it so there you go.)

hope they come out with a gasoline version too.

tire rack has the tire size for the car already listed: 195/55/r16, e.g. the size that the new fit should have come with from the factory.

the new vw golf tdi is going to get around 30mpg city and 42 highway, with no real penalty to driving in the typical hybrid fashion...lets see the cr-z replicate that. i hope it does anyway, since honda is marketing it as a 'sport' hybrid, it will be scrutinzed dearly if it does not meet that claim.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting that Tire Rack already shows the size. I guess the US will be getting it around the same time as Japan.

If the tires really are 195/55-16 I wouldn't expect it to have 200 hp

Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Retired Moderator
If they make a full gas version of the CRZ i may have to get one. I dont want a Hybrid though...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Expected sales for the CRZ start Feb. 2010 in Japan according to this months Road and Track... so maybe 6 months after for the US?

I still think it might use the GE Fit engine with a hybrid drive attached, but hopefully I'm wrong and it has more balls than that

Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Tokyo Preview: Near-production Honda CR-Z "Concept" unveiled — Autoblog

To get 200 hp including 40 from the electric we'll need at least 160 from the 1.5 L engine. That's a tall order for sure but not impossible IF it's a spastic DOHC tuned similarly to the 160 hp B16. But then why would Honda build a hybrid that requires premium fuel?

Also, it's using Honda's IMA system which has never been able to drive a car on electricity alone.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Tokyo Preview: Near-production Honda CR-Z "Concept" unveiled — Autoblog

To get 200 hp including 40 from the electric we'll need at least 160 from the 1.5 L engine. That's a tall order for sure but not impossible IF it's a spastic DOHC tuned similarly to the 160 hp B16. But then why would Honda build a hybrid that requires premium fuel?

Also, it's using Honda's IMA system which has never been able to drive a car on electricity alone.

The CRZ has a 2 liter engine.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Is the CR-Z also based on the GE chassis? Thought it'd make more sense for Honda to make it that way as the GE's bones are supposed to be their global small-car platform.

Don't believe so. The CRZ is closer to Civic than Fit.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
The CRZ has a 2 liter engine.
well then someone needs to tell Edmunds and Autoblog

Tokyo Preview: Honda CR-Z, the Production-Ready Concept Car | Straightline Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think it is very unlikely that Honda would give the CR-Z more power than the current Civic Si. Especially with the 1.5 liter engine. My estimate would be that it is going to be in the 160-170 hp range.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
I think it is very unlikely that Honda would give the CR-Z more power than the current Civic Si. Especially with the 1.5 liter engine. My estimate would be that it is going to be in the 160-170 hp range.

Honda is aware that 170 hp in a 3000Lb car would be a marketing disaster. The original aim for the CRZ was a performance model above the Civic Si to replace the S2000. Having less than 200 hp would cause not only a loss of face but heads as well. The CRZ is easily big enough to handle a 2 liter vtec coupled with a 33 - 40 hp motor.

Anything in the CRZ class that doesn't offer a performance image is a loser and the people at Honda I know aren't going to fail unless they are commanded by inept management. High performance at 40 mpg is a market leader. Mediocre performance at 50 mpg is hohum.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
About the only truth left in this thread is the fact that the CR-Z comes to America next spring.

Honda CR-Z brochure leaks out, production specs revealed — Autoblog

112 hp 1.5 liter i-VTEC
14 hp electric motor

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
About the only truth left in this thread is the fact that the CR-Z comes to America next spring.

Honda CR-Z brochure leaks out, production specs revealed — Autoblog

112 hp 1.5 liter i-VTEC
14 hp electric motor

A 112 hp engine plus 14 hp motor will be a marketing failure aka the Insight gen 2.
The market is for a CRZ si, not a CRZ Hx. The Hx will lanquish on dealer lots while gas is $2.50 US. Amerca wants an economical sports car with 6 sec 0-60 time, not a cute hybrid with Fit performance. The differencwe will be the waitinglist to buy one. I've got a Fit that carries a bunch of stuff at 32 mpg, what the heck do I want with a slow but cute Fit?
Honda marketing needs to get rid of the global warming marketeers.
With the oncoming added taxes here for health care, unemployment, and cap&trade Honda needs to meet the marketplace that exists.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
All started by George Bush.

How so ?
George was inept but not a Communist. He and his administration had no intentions oif running GM "Wait'll GM tries to sell a $40,000 Volt to compete with a $15,000 Corolla". How come Toyota, Honda and Nissan all got hybrids on the market (Nissan's Leaf all electric with 100 mile range) while GM putzes around for a decade and still hasn't made it. The latest appointed GM ringmaster points out he 'knows nothing about cars' and you expect GM to survive? Can't blame George for that.
All the Communist nations who tried to make government run everything hav been a failure: Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, East Germany ... (recall the Trabant?)
Can't wait for you to get hold of the increased taxes to pay for universal health care, unemployment, and 'cap&trade' to see if you can still buy a cell phone provider much less a Fit. Can't blame those on George eiuther.
And NAFTA (where all our jobs of the nowunenployed went) passed by Clinton (with a lot of help from Republicans) that our esteemed Congress doesn't care about.
Can't blame George for that either.
We can blamr ignorant Americans who know a damn bit better thatn 'its free' to vote.
And Republicans whodo know just what these cost but can't get from behind 'government vs private' arguments where neither really has much over the other. OK rants over.

Quick Reply: Fit cancels hybrid as expected; CRZ rolls spring 2010