Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Rear window / wiper (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/5039-rear-window-wiper.html)

Pirelli P Zero 05-10-2006 04:14 PM

Rear window / wiper

How necessary is the rear wiper? I was planning on removing it on my future Fit to make for a much cleaner appearance and for weight savings (mostly from the motor), but I would like to know opinions of how useful it is. Does the rear window really get that dirty? I've never used the one on my CRX, but the different shape of the hatches may have different affects. Thanks in advance for any input.

martymcfly 05-10-2006 04:37 PM

I will keep it. It is quite useful on rainy days and in high dust areas. How much weight you can save from the motor? 5lbs max?

Gordio 05-10-2006 04:39 PM

I'm keeping it too. There had been too many rainy days in my civic that the defroster could not deal with.

DRum 05-10-2006 04:39 PM

It is very usefull. I would keep it.

GoFit 05-10-2006 04:51 PM

You'll definitely need it in heavy rain.

corey415 05-10-2006 04:57 PM

From personal experience, a rear wiper is very useful on a hatchback.

However, the Fit rear window is almost completely upright; rain should roll off of it pretty easily even in heavy rain.

I find rear wipers most useful when parking outside overnight. If it was a cold night, the rear wiper can clear the moisture much faster than the rear defroster.

GoFit 05-10-2006 05:13 PM

forgot about snow, they do stick back there you know?

drknife 05-10-2006 05:37 PM

I have used my back wiper in 3 different instances. While driving on the interstae doing 70-85mph, I noticed the window would visibly wet when it was raining of course. Slower conditions around town it came in handy as well. I liek to have a good rear view in the city streets made shiny by street lights when it is raining.

shipwrek 05-10-2006 05:57 PM

The rear window being mostly upright makes the rear wiper very necessary. At highway speeds the tail wind off the car forces rain and the road debris that goes with it onto the rear of the car.

Mugen_Dom 05-10-2006 05:59 PM

I've only turned it on once since I've got the car and that was by accident.

In the rain, I don't feel it's necessary. As others have mentioned, the rear window is almost vertical.

Chikubi 05-10-2006 06:58 PM

Hey, if you're ok with it and don't feel it's necessary, then axe it. Make sure to find a good cap to seal the hole though, or you may run into corrosion/leaking issues if any water gets in.

benfal2001 05-10-2006 08:35 PM

The Aquapel stuff should be helping

BKKJack 05-11-2006 04:41 AM

The rear window wiper/washer is, IMO, very necessary on this car, as well as any hatch/van with a nearly vertical rear window and no trunk. The area directly behind the car is a low pressure zone that every little speck of dirt is trying to fill. Add a little rain, and you end up not being able to see anything. Trust me. My work car is a Toyota Land Cruiser without the rear wiper, and after a couple hours of rain and the wet roads, it was virtually opaque.

Removing unnecessary weight is admirable, but this is (again IMO) a necessary item if you live anywhere it rains/snows. Also, since the weight distribution of this car is already something like 62/38 f/r, removing weight from the front (if possible) would be better.

tman_00 05-11-2006 05:11 AM

u got enough stickers back there?

peterc10 05-11-2006 07:07 AM

You must be really desperate to loose weight if you are down to lossing the wiper motor! If you want to limit the weight the car carries why not go on a diet as well - and insist all your passengers do too. :) :)

In the limited time we have had our Jazz we have used the rear wiper often. The upright rear tailgate always gets dirty because of the turbulence off of the back of the car.

switchbrdopr 05-11-2006 08:35 AM

That's one of the reasons I wanted another hatchback. I had a back wiper on my '90 Civic and used it a lot. When I got my 2002 Civic 4-door I really missed it.

Pirelli P Zero 05-11-2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by claymore
That was one of the forst things I did to my Jazz. Very easy to remove and I filled the hole with a "Blue dot" tailight extra lens add on from Jegs fit the hole perfectly. 6000 + km now and never even noticed it's not there. Put a very small dab of superglue on the stalk switch as I kept turning it on accidently. Total removed about 5 lbs. And much better rear visibility.

Thanks for the info and picture! You're one of the few people that didn't think I was nuts. That cap doesn't look bad, but I was planning on having the hole shaved since I'm an obsessive perfectionist. But yeah, I think it looks much nicer without it.

Pirelli P Zero 05-11-2006 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by peterc10
You must be really desperate to loose weight if you are down to lossing the wiper motor! If you want to limit the weight the car carries why not go on a diet as well - and insist all your passengers do too. :) :)

~5lbs may not seem like much, but there are plenty of areas for weight reduction and this is simply one of them. All of them combined will make a difference. It's my personal battle against the growing weight of automobiles.

And I'm quite a skinny person. haha

OrangeBlossom 05-11-2006 02:26 PM

Because of the shape of the back of the fit, it does get a lot of dust and dirt on the back window from the air dumping over the sharp rear end. In some climates that rear windshiled wiper would be a godsend. The weight savings of taking out the wiper and motor are almost insignificant.

Daņiel 05-11-2006 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by claymore
. And much better rear visibility.

Explainzor that to me. Also removing the rear wiper might be a legal issue, if that matters.